The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2006, 10:04 PM   #1
abadsvt

Air bagged truck getting an wheel alignment?

I was just wondering what you all do so you don't wear through tires left and right. I didn't think that any place will check your alignment if you truck is airbagged. Am i wrong? I am planning on bagging my truck and would like to make the tires last as long as possible. Thanks Josh
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 11:23 PM   #2
Shane
Account Suspended

Re: Air bagged truck getting an wheel alignment?

set your bags to desired ride level and have the shop align from there. make a note of the pressures and use this when driving.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 11:57 PM   #3
abadsvt

So wheels shops will align them. They just wont honor a warrenty? Thanks.
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:34 AM   #4
Shane
Account Suspended

i am unaware of any sort of "warranty" on any alignment job, regardless of whether a vehicle is bagged or not.

If you have concerns about warranty's and increased tire wear, then baggin' may not be for you.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:36 AM   #5
7deuce
Sold! 2 days after finished

When I took mine to get alligned I had 4 pcs of 2x6 box tubing that I put under the frame, aired it out and had the allignment done there.
7deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 11:24 AM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

NTB used to offer an unlimited mileage warranty, but they don't any more. Like Shane said, find out what your optimum ride height is. Try it at different air pressure until you find one that allows you to drive without adjustment. Once you determine that air pressure take your truck and have it aligned there.

Problem solved...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 01:17 PM   #7
jasonrmorrow

You absaloutly can get an alignment done, it might be a good idea to go check out the shop and see what kind of rack/machine they have.

I aligned mine at work, we have the new Hunter DSP600 with a sunken hoist
http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/al...946T/index.htm

the sunken hoist is A HUGE FACTOR, not too many places have it, you'll have to bring some 2x6's or somehting along so you can drive up the ramps, like i said ours is completely sunken in so all i have to clear are the jacks in the middle of the hoist.

This is how mine aligned at 75 psi and 25 psi, i will cruise it lower, but if i'm gonna roll on the highway or something these are the pressures i'll use to keep the tire wear down.

Now the huge factor with mine is that i went from 3" dropped coils to 3" dropped spindles and springs, my truck was aligned with just the coils and everything was within spec, then once i put in my airbags and dropped spindles, all i had to do to align it was set the toe, the dropped spindles don't change your alignment too much.

There are maybe 3 shims on each stud of the control arm, i don't know where this BS about 3" of shims came from its simply not true. Having said that i'm in the process of plumbing the onboard air and getting shorty headers and the exhaust tucked in, i'll align it again when its lower and post the results.

Any questions let me know.

I used 63-66 4x2 pickup specs, i'm sure anything up to 92 will get you the same specs.

As for warantees on alignments...its generally going to be none at all, waaaaaay too many factors.

Last edited by jasonrmorrow; 09-03-2006 at 01:24 PM.
jasonrmorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:28 PM   #8
CochinoFilipino

What about the Warranty on New Tires? Can we still get the new tires warrantied with bags?
Old 09-05-2006, 08:55 PM   #9
jasonrmorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochinoFilipino View Post
What about the Warranty on New Tires? Can we still get the new tires warrantied with bags?
Thats a tough one, probably not, i haven't seen a set of tires for a modified vehicle come back yet, usually with a lowered vehicle thats the nature of the beast...we buy our tires from wholesalers then sell them to customers, so if we lie and tell the supplier that the car/truck was stock ride height and all alignment specs are good then ya, we could get a warantee tire, but its an ethics issue.

Like someone else said, if your worried about warantees on your customized vehicle then it isnt for you. Drive it at the aligned height 90% of the time and your tires wont die too early, and even if they do...its your fault, not the tire.

And you'd have to be Waaaaay out of alignment to wear tires at a considerable rate, so get it aligned, drive it at that height and dump it for pulling into the cruise night or whatever.