The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2006, 05:43 PM   #1
Draggn66
Wrenchin & Sandin!!!

Couple Cooling Questions

I'm seriously thinking about an aftermarket a/c setup for my 71 C10. I've searched the archives for quite a while and it looks like the way to go is vintage air. One thing that I haven't found out though is how well does the heater work? Is the fan really all that loud? I'm in the Chicago area and I'd like to have a/c in the summer but I need heat in the winter! Has anyone used one of these kits from ebay? #140016477025 One last question......I ordered a new radiator from www.radiator.com today. Because I'm not near my truck today I didn't know if it was a 3 row or 4. The tech guy said since one of the heater hoses goes into the radiator and not to the water pump that it is a 4 row. Is that right? Hope so or it won't fit correct? Thanks in advance.

My Favorite eBay Searches

My Driver Restore Thread
1971 C10 Longbed
2005 Silverado Shortbed
2005 FXDWG

Last edited by Draggn66; 09-05-2006 at 05:49 PM.
Draggn66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:33 PM   #2
kbs71
71 rustless in texas

Re: Couple Cooling Questions

I have a 2 row that the heater hose goes into the radiator and not the water pump, so the guys full of crap. The mounts for the 3 and 4 are the same I believe, it's just the 2 row that's smaller. If it doesn't fit, you can buy new mounts and rubbers from any of the board dealers here.

"No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why"

71 C-10 LWB presently in a perpetual state of disassembly
'96 Toyota (my work car)
'04 Mustang Convertable (wife's car & other money pit)
Latest aquesition and why my trucks still in the garage covered with junk..
2010 Aqua Blue metallic 6 speed Manual LS3 2SS/RS Camaro (I want one of these in my truck

FAQ here

VENDORS here

SUPPORT THE BOARD here

My second favorite SITE
kbs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:59 PM   #3
low'n slow
Too Dumb To Know Better

My brother lives in Idaho. Weather is not as cold as it can get in Chicago. He said the 2nd happiest day of his life was the day he took out his vintage air heater and put the deluxe heater back in. He froze his behind. If you were in the south, it wouldn't be a big deal. Just my advice.
low'n slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:39 PM   #4
Draggn66
Wrenchin & Sandin!!!

Yea the tech guy was full of it! Got the radiator today, very nicely packaged and in great shape but.....it's a 4 row and my orginal was a 2. Granted the 4 row will be a better radiator but now I have to figure out what I need to make it fit and wait for it to arrive! Which brings me to my next question....how does everyone feel about LMC? I've ordered 3 times from them in the last couple weeks and my orders have arrive fast and accurate. But I'm not crazy about their shipping charges. My last order was over $300 and the shipping was over $30. I don't know maybe it's me cause I'm used to ordering for my Harleys and anything over $200 is free shipping. Ok done ranting. This is a great site and I love the archives!

My Favorite eBay Searches

My Driver Restore Thread
1971 C10 Longbed
2005 Silverado Shortbed
2005 FXDWG

Last edited by Draggn66; 09-06-2006 at 05:19 PM.
Draggn66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:57 PM   #5
junkyardjohn

Wink Re: Couple Cooling Questions

I Was Taught Not To Say Anything, If I Didn't Have Anything Nice To Say. Lmc Sure Has Nice Catalogs & They Send Me A New One About Every 90 Days. John
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 09-06-2006 at 04:57 PM.
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:10 PM   #6
see ten
WTB this ad

LMC has pretty catalogs, but aside from that I have no real use for them. I can't complain about the heat on my Vintage Air system but I do live in Georgia. I think if it turned into a problem I would look at some supplemental heat(something like the electric back seat heat units). I had to have air and Vintage was the way to go. I can always figure out a way to get warm but there are only so many cooling options.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:30 PM   #7
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Yea the tech guy was full of it! Got the radiator today, very nicely packaged and in great shape but.....it's a 4 row and my orginal was a 2. Granted the 4 row will be a better radiator but now I have to figure out what I need to make it fit and wait for it to arrive!
Be aware that thie bigger radiator, while great in the summer, can cause you heating problems when it is very cold. You may have to block part/most of it in the winter to get your engine to warm up properly. As long as you have hot enough coolant to the Vintage Air system it should be ok, but as see ten said, you can always suppliment with something electric.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:33 PM   #8
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Draggin, you may want to try some of the BB vendors.They tend to have better pricing and usually more knowledgable staff.Some will carry stuff to shows so that you can pick it up there and save shipping.If not there may be one within driving distance for you.I think there is a list on the home page but with the changes I'm not sure.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:02 AM   #9
GMC Jim

I don't believe the size of the radiator has very much to do with the heater output... The thermostat controls the water temp for the engine and the heater. Use a 190 degree thermostat, and everything should be fine.