The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2006, 09:32 AM   #1
Nolowrider

Guys with 60's on rear

Hello folks, I am in ther process of shopping around for some new rims. I am really looking hard at these. My problem is that I have 60's and I would like to keep them but lower my rear about 2" more. The rims I have now stick out too far to lower it anymore. I believe due to the backspacing or offset. I am not a rim person, so I don't know. What are you guys with lowered trucks, running 60's using as far as rims go? What offset/backspacing? I have the stock 12 bolt axel. I like the old school deep dish rims, but may have to comprimise to get lower.

Last edited by Nolowrider; 09-07-2006 at 09:33 AM.
Nolowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 03:44 PM   #2
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Re: Guys with 60's on rear

What size 60's are you running? Those ARE rims are 15x7's so you'll have no problems running them on the back, but I wouldn't run anything bigger than a 255/60 or your tires will look like donuts , you can run a 10'' rim on the back with a 5''BS. I'm running 15x9's with 275/50 TA's,4'' BS all around on my 83 with a 4/5 Drop, i've also ran 245/60 and 255/60 tires with no problems on the same rims. BS is key to running wide rims and keeping them tucked in the wheel wells, but i've also seen trucks that run to big a positive BS and the tires look like they have been sucked up by the truck, usually when running DUBS.
John
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 04:19 PM   #3
454HO

First of all, that rim you linked to is not the right bolt pattern. If you search that style rim for a 5 on 5" pattern, they have 3 widths in a 15" diameter. There is 7", 8" and 10" widths, but notice they all have 3.75" backspacing. What that means is that the inside edge of the rim is spaced 3.75" back from the wheel mounting flange on all three widths. So as you go up in width, it is all added to the outside edge of the rim. This pushes the tire outward too. To keep the tires tucked into the wheelwells, you need to look for a rim that has more backspace.

Is this for the stepper in your sig? What rims do you have on it now? And what size tire are you running now? Do you want to use the same size tire on the new rims?
Old 09-07-2006, 09:59 PM   #4
Nolowrider

Thanks guys for the reply. My tires are P275 60R15's and they are fairly new so I would like to keep them. So, I guess the best thing for me to do is measure the backspace on the rims I have now and go from there. I bought these rims over 20 yrs ago so I don't know the specs on them. As you can see in the pics I am about 1 1/2" to 2" out too far. I need to come back in some. As it right now I would have to roll the inside of the fender to clear. Thanks guys.

454HO-Yeah I knew that those where not the correct ones, just was just using those for the pic. I saved alot of different sizes to my wishlist and that one is just the one I picked to post. Thanks for paying close attention.

Last edited by Nolowrider; 09-07-2006 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:36 AM   #5
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Steve that's a *****'n set of rims you have, love em, had a set of those on a 74 Grand Prix that I used to own , but those look like 10'' wide with that deep dish look and like 454 said they are probably a 3.75 BS which is fairly common off the shelf. nice ride you have, I like those frenched tail lights
John
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:05 AM   #6
Nolowrider

Thanks John for the nice comments. I bought those rims over 20 yrs ago. I like them, but I wanted to get something alittle more modern, plus I want to drop the rear another few inches to level her out. The other option I have is to narrow the axel, which which is a PITA to re-weld the shock mounts. The tire are still in great shape, so I really need to keep them. So, I need to find a set with more than 3.75 BS? Maybe 5.75? The tail lights are out of a 70 Camaro.

Last edited by Nolowrider; 09-08-2006 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:05 PM   #7
454HO

To measure the backspace, just lay a straight edge across the backside of the rim, then measure the distance to the surface that seats against the brake drum. I would only add just enough backspace to pull the tire inside the lip on the fender. Any more will start to look like the tires are too skinny. Nice truck BTW.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:25 PM   #8
Nolowrider

454HO-Thanks for the help. I am going to do that this afternoon when I get home. Thanks again.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:56 PM   #9
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Nolow-
Before you pull the wheel, take a long level, set it vertically against your sidewall and project it upwards towards your fender. (Forgive the way'ward'ness. ) Then, you'll be able to measure how far your current wheel sits beyond the fender lip. Once you measure the BS like 454HO suggests, you'll will be able to figure out how much total BS you need to tuck without rubbing. As Malo mentioned, for a 10" wide wheel, a 5" BS should work. ...if you're running 8s then a 4" bs, 7s with a 3"...

BTW, if you're not yet committed to those particular wheels, p'chop a picture of your truck with those on it to see if you like 'the look'.

Like the others have said, nice looking truck (from what I can see).

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:39 PM   #10
Nolowrider

Thanks Boxrodz for the comments. I appreciate everyones compliments. If I roll the inside lip of the fender I think it will clear by about 1/2". If I can find a straight up pic of those rims I will do the photchop. All pics I find are at a angle.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:25 AM   #11
boatpuller

i remember when i was in high school we called those coke bottles.now they call them daisies.there old school cool.they were on my short list before i settled on hopsters.they look very cool on 60's and 70's classic's.american racing still makes them.just my two cents worth...run em.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote