The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2006, 03:05 PM   #1
purple gas

T B I ? pro's cons?

Like it says. Anybody install a Throttle Body Injection? What would I need to get from the donor vehichle, how hard is it to do, does it run better than a carb, what's the fuel economy / performance like, what about fuel pumps? Any tips or advice I thank you in advance. Oh and I'm not racing or anything.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
CMars45000

Re: T B I ? pro's cons?

Pros:

-Simple
-Effective
-More efficient than a carb
-Cheap compared to aftermarket FI

Cons:

-Limited Airflow
-Lack of tunability when compared to a carb or aftermarket MPFI

I put a TBI 454 in my Blazer that was originally equipped with a TBI 350. It was pretty much plug and play, just had to swap a few sensors. The reason I kept the TBI was the fact that I go from 4800 feet to as high as 10,000 feet to go four wheeling and the TBI adjusts itself for the altitude. I have done pretty much all I can to tune the TBI short of burnging my own PROM and I have it very close to perfect with simple fuel pressure mods and a heated oxygen sensor. Granted, when I rebuilt the TBI I kept a low duration cam similar to stock. You really can't go more than 212-degrees duration at .050" without burning your own PROM...

Vehicles/Projects:

-1971 C10 SWB Fleetside! Gathering parts now, will begin frame-off resto soon...

Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.
-Aristotle
CMars45000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 04:48 PM   #3
CMars45000

Another thing, you can bolt the bigger 454 TB to a SB manifold with little trouble at all and get WAY more airflow then the 350 TB. the 454 TB flows like 670cfm, IIRC. injector spacers work wonders for increasing airflow on TBI systems.

Check out http://www.454ss.com for LOTS of insight into TBI systems and how to tune them for you application.

If you are putting it on a stock engine it is just a matter of bolting it on and getting it the 12psi of fuel pressure that it needs and giving it a return line to the tank and you are ready to rock

Vehicles/Projects:

-1971 C10 SWB Fleetside! Gathering parts now, will begin frame-off resto soon...

-Aristotle
Old 09-11-2006, 07:42 PM   #4
purple gas

ok. So if I'm at the junk yard, what should I look for? What would I need to get, what should I buy new? How intense is the wiring when adapting to and old truck? Is this a real good excuse to get the gas tank out of the cab? Do I ask a lot of stupid questions? I"ve got a 305 with a 2 barrel at the moment.

Last edited by purple gas; 09-11-2006 at 07:43 PM.
purple gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:25 PM   #5
CMars45000

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple gas View Post
ok. So if I'm at the junk yard, what should I look for? What would I need to get, what should I buy new? How intense is the wiring when adapting to and old truck? Is this a real good excuse to get the gas tank out of the cab? Do I ask a lot of stupid questions? I"ve got a 305 with a 2 barrel at the moment.
The biggest concern at this point would be the intake...The true TBI intake were meant to work with the newer style TBI heads that have a different bolt pattern than older heads. I think Holley makes an intake to bolt TBI to an older motor...I am not really sure since the 454 in my Blazer was orignally a TBI motor.

As for what to get at the yard, EVERYTHING...The TB, the fuel lines off the back of the TB, all the sensors (IAC, MAP, CTS, Knock Sensor, O2, TPS, Oil Pres.), the distributor, the ECM and wiring harness, the ESC (electronic spark control). You could use and inline fuel pump if you want. There are lots of options when it comes to getting fuel to the motor. The ECM wiring is pretty straight forward. You WILL need a wiring diagram though with the ECM Pin-Out and the Harness Diagram.

Vehicles/Projects:

-Aristotle
Old 09-11-2006, 11:43 PM   #6
project1971

you can have a regular 4bbl intake just need the adaptor to bolt the pod to the intake Holley makes them.
2000 Cavalier z24 (gas saver)
project1971 is offline   Reply With Quote