The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2006, 12:55 AM   #1
Chris Bassil

some advice please

Hello i have an 84 c10 305. I had the engine rebuilt, ball joints changed and carb rebuilt. The truck has plenty of rust problems (some through and through and some surface). After having the engine rebuilt the engine runs good but i still notice some black smoke when idling not when giving it gas. The eqhaust has a strong smell something i find peculiar. It also takes about ten seconds to start after sitting for more than two days. I figure it is loosing fuel pressure and has to build it up before it will start again. The truck needs an alignment and i am sure when i drop it off to do that they are going to tell me other things need to be changed. The guy i had do all the work so far seems to be a bit of a dim wit so i think i am going to find a new mechanic. I would like to start doing more of the work on my own but i live in an apartment complex and do not want the truck sitting for a long time while i figure out how to put it back together. I am not all that worried about the mechanical problems although i would like to figure out the smoke thing. My real worry is the rust thing. I do not want to end up doing all this and get it to a body shop and have them tell me i would be better off scrapping the truck due to the decaying body. I orginally bought the truck thinking i was going to do all the work myself but due to the above reasoning i have been unable to do this. It is getting quite costly and i am not sure how much i want to put into it just to have a truck i can drive and not have to worry about it braking down on me. With intial cost and repairs i have spent about 2000 so far and i know i will not get that if i sold it so i guess what i am asking is should i continue or cut my losses.
Chris Bassil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:06 AM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

Re: some advice please

Post some pics of your issues. As for the smoking, what color is it?

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:31 AM   #3
Nolowrider

Chris-What kind of carb do you have. Black smoke is really not that bad. Just means that she is ideling alittle rich and maybe real prone to flooding on start up. Sometimes the needle and seat may be bad or just a small piece of trash in it will cause the float to allow fuel to seep by. Don't worry too much about it. It is also possible that the choke circuit may be sticking or not adjusted right. I am not a body work guy, nuff said on that.
Nolowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:33 PM   #4
84 400
Sb 400 club

Well wlcome to the board man n. if you can post up spome pics these guys will telll u if she is worth fixing man. These guys and gals love these trucks but thy will be able to tell you whats what. is she rust through in the floors cab corners or rockers?

Like i saide post up some pics of the rust and these guys can tell you whats what.
Welcome and good luck
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:07 PM   #5
Eyegore
What Hump?

Welcome to the board. I noticed your from New Orleans must be rough there, but is there not a lot of vehicles that are flood damaged that you can use for parts? My friends were back there a few months ago for relief work and they brought back several pictures and i was suprised to see how many 81-87 trucks were there that seemed in pretty good condtion-true a picture may not tell the whole story but I'm sure you could find parts to replace your rusted areas of your 84. Replacing rusted parts, i.e. doors, bed, fenders, is often easrier than a body shop cutting out and replacing panels since you can do most the work yourself.

just my 2 cents, hope your able to solve your dilema.
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote