The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2006, 12:40 AM   #1
87crew4x4

87 454 Tbi. Problems, need your help?

FSF First things first. Its a simple question, The engine tune up label says to disconnect the single tan w/ white stripe wire (to the spark advance I guess) something, something, inboard of the bulkhead. Can't find it, easily anyway. I need this to properly time the truck. And then I will try and find out why its running like it wants to rolled over a cliff. I have had quite a bit of trouble with it, I replaced the distributor and it ran good for awhile but I dont think I ever had it quite right. Now It is really acting up and I would like to start with the timing. Thank You.
87crew4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:17 AM   #2
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Arrow Re: 87 454 Tbi. Problems, need your help?

First of all i would like to welcome you to the board!

The wire your looking for is called the (EST) bypass = Electronic spark timing bypass this is located at the back of the distributor and heads along the back of the firewall towards the passangers side and it is a Tan wire with a black stripe and it will have a single round connector to disconnect the computer form the distributor so that you can set the base timing.

You may have to remove the plastic wire loom or even remove some electrical tape to locate it if no one has ever touched it befor.

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE

Last edited by 87 STEPPER; 09-19-2006 at 07:25 AM.
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote