The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2006, 01:25 PM   #1
Orange
Licensed to Thrill!

Underdash A/C install pics (almost finished!)

Finally! I have been working overtime on this little project lately. It has been a long time coming. I've had the unit for a while, just haven't had time to work on it.

Couple of notes first - This is NOT by any means finished yet. This is my mock up after getting my hoses crimped, and I will test everything like this. I plan on using the heat shrink hose ends everywhere for a lot less clutter. This isn't clean - it isn't tidy, and there are some things out of order - just deal with it. I normally wouldn't post pics in this state, but I have promised them to a lot of folks, so I am holding to my word.

Here's a link to the pics (If you want an album view or whatever):
http://slickorange.com/ac2/acip_index.html

1-3 are of the unit itself.

4 is of the plain firewall (before painting it - notice the cleaned up version in the later pics...yes, all taken tonite. )

5 is the vacuum stuff (defrost and heater valve).

6 is the dryer and condensor just to see the brackets and hardlines, etc. Pretty much the stock dryer mounting location. I am sort of crazy I guess - those hardlines and that dryer WERE polished aluminum - now they are 500° black.

7 is the control panel. It is totally electronic. Can't use the factory controls with this system because of that. I swapped my controls and radio so I didn't have to cut the dash.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:25 PM   #2
Orange
Licensed to Thrill!

Re: Underdash A/C install pics (almost finished!)

8-11 are the view from outside the cab. It is totally hidden - unlike the Vintage system. The last 2 pics are totally up under the dash - no way people would even see that.

12 is in the glove box. I will make me a glove box for what is left. Still got to finish my duct work. But it is 90% anyhow.

13 is just another front view - you can see the hoses/lines at the top of the pic.

14-15 are the firewall after it is finished (for now). I do plan to ditch the black plate and fill in the factory heater box holes and just have the hose holes. Just will be when I get ready to pull the engine so I can repaint the firewall, etc.

16 is the compressor view - you can see how nicely the lines tuck and disappear.

The unit is this:
http://www.coyoterodders.net/catalog...48&catId=39208

The install is totally custom.
You can use all the factory vents, and even the factory condensor if you want. I chose not too for the newer technology (better flow & lighter weight) of the new ones.

The firewall plate I made.

Other stuff just ask.

A little more info on the unit - it is a heat/air/and defrost all in the same box. Coyote Air has them made just for them and they are nice quality. They (CA) tour shows nationally and sell their units, but you can call and order from them. They are local to me, that's how I knew about them.

I had to have some longer pieces of A/C hose then what came with the kit to make my full length runs. I also bought my clean rings (the aluminum pieces that attach to the firewall) from them and my Billet Specialties vents from them. I also had to have an extra 6' piece of the flexible duct to reach the driver side vent. Other than that, I think I was pretty well set - aside from what I wanted to do just for looks/cosmetic reasons.

Anyhow, it's just something else to toss in the mix for those who want some certain features...
•Electronic controls instead of cable.
•Totally hidden box.
•Totally smooth firewall.
•No bulkhead.
•Factory or custom vent setup.

It is supposed to blow pretty hard and very chilly - into the 30°'s somewhere supposedly, so we shall see. I will surely post results for you all.

Dalton B.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:55 AM   #3
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Nice looking install O. Are you going to have any space left for the glovebox? I like the way it tucks up all hidden too. Looks very factory. I'm not too fond of the control panel though. Any plans on changing that, or are you happy with it? Nice work and thanks for the pics! Jeff.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:16 PM   #4
Orange
Licensed to Thrill!

I will have a little room for a glove box, although not much.
It will be just on the right side and above the unit, so just enough to stow some small stuff. I don't keep a lot of junk in my truck anyhow, so no biggie for me.
As a matter of fact, this used to be in my glovebox -

The control will change slightly. That black plate is a replica of the factory radio delete plate with some studs welded to it going through the original holes. I don't want to modify my dash really for some reason. I may try to make a new control panel that suits my liking more that the switches mount in, but will probably just paint that black piece orange to match so that it doesn't stick out so bad. It isn't my favorite part of it, but it is nice having a good set of controls without the stiff levers like factory.
Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:45 PM   #5
Joe67
67 is sold

Nice work!

I can't wait until I get to installing my AC unit

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:46 PM   #6
Draggn66
Wrenchin & Sandin!!!

Hey Dalton, Thanks for all the info. I got a good price on the Vintage system so I went with that. After you get the install completed I would be interested in hearing how well the heat works, how cold the a/c blows & how much noise the blower makes. Just curious how it compares to the Vintage. Very good job on the install by the way. Nice n clean. I like that.

My Favorite eBay Searches

My Driver Restore Thread
1971 C10 Longbed
2005 Silverado Shortbed
2005 FXDWG
Draggn66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:43 PM   #7
cypress TX 72
Saving one 72 at a time!!

Every time I see someone going out of the box on these trucks - I love it - nice work, and nice arranging of the lines.

I am sure you looked at Vintage - any specific reason you chose these guys?

Great work - time to start another and save it from the half asser who'll get it and completly screw it up.

Cypress
cypress TX 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:44 PM   #8
Orange
Licensed to Thrill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypress TX 72 View Post
I am sure you looked at Vintage - any specific reason you chose these guys?
Because everyone else uses Vintage?
Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:53 PM   #9
BLACK AND BLUE 67-72
Firefighter

Awesome looking install!!
Yellville, Ar. USA

BLACK AND BLUE 67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote