The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2002, 08:08 PM   #1
Lightspeed

having some engine trouble

the truck has a 70 350. LT1 bottom end, with 300 heads(someone care to elaborate on what 300 heads are?) a wiend intake and an edelbrock four barrel with electric choke. anyways the motor will fire but wont' stay running. it bogs way down backfires and dies. if i give it a lot of gas i see two little streams of gas come out of the carb. the last time i tried to start it these streams ingnited causing a nice little fireball. its running really rich and i was wondering if someone could tell me if my problem could be fixed by adjusting the carb and if so could tell me how to adjust it. thanks in advance.
Lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 08:14 PM   #2
Capitol68

Have you done any timing work on it ? Pulled the dist and restabbed ? Is it in a truck that has been running and suddenly started this ? Need a little more info
orig. stock TH 400.

Albert Pine
English author d.1851
Capitol68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 08:23 PM   #3
Lightspeed

the guy i bought it from said the timing needed to be adjusted, it has been doing this since i bought it but now it won't even idle. also the choke linkage is broken so the choke either hangs wide open or completely shut.
Old 10-20-2002, 08:50 PM   #4
bigjimzlll

first things first...fix the choke(tie it open) pull a spark plug and see what it looks like(probably fouled) change if needed...triple check the plug wires are ran right(especially 5+7) pull the cap..check for carbon traces or cracks..replace if needed..rotor too.is this an HEI? if not check points and replace if needed,,now start engine...if it doesn't start now.come back and tell us whats up..

click the clicky to join the site....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

67 lwb..first hotrod in 25 years..540 best ET is 9.45 @ 141.44
Anderson,CA
bigjimzlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 09:09 PM   #5
Lightspeed

ok, but does anyone have any idea about the fuel spraying out of the carb? its goes up like a foot in the air.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:49 PM   #6
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

What kind of fuel pump are you running? It sounds like the float is stuck down flooding the carb and shooting out of the jets hard enough to splach back up like a water gun. This would only be true if you had an electric fuel pump or one he!! of a mechanical one. Take the lid off the carb and see if the bowls are gummed up or if the float has a hole it it.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:49 PM   #7
mikep
Used to have a truck

It sounds like you ( your engine ) are really retarded. Have you checked the timing yet?
Old 10-20-2002, 10:31 PM   #8
Lightspeed

its a mechanical pump, how do you fix the float, or more importantly how do you find it? and im pretty sure the timing is off, im more worried about the carb right now cuz im afraid its gonna start a major fire.
Old 10-20-2002, 10:44 PM   #9
bigjimzlll

go to www.edelbrock.com look in their manual for a 1406 carb.it will show an exploded view..its real simple to work on..I think 7 screws and pull off the top..there os some linkage to remove..dont lose the little clips

Anderson,CA
Old 10-20-2002, 11:12 PM   #10
mikep
Used to have a truck

Your incorrectly set timing is causing the carburetor reversion. If you set the timing at its static point then you should get it in ballpark. turn the engine over by hand until its at 10 degrees before top dead center, turn the key on but do not engage the starter, turn the distributor until the spark plug fires either by looking at the timing light or just by puling the wire and watching it spark to ground. lock the distributor down. start the truck then adjust the timing while its running. voila
Old 10-20-2002, 11:20 PM   #11
Lightspeed

mikep-i dont know a whole lot about motors, could you go through that step by step, like how do i get the engine at ten degrees before top dead center and how do i get the distributor loose from the block to turn it. im sorry if all these questions sound stupid but this is my first project and i've never really had anybody to show me how to do these things.
Old 10-20-2002, 11:44 PM   #12
bigjimzlll

everyone had to start some where....the pulley where the fan belt goes on..the bottom one..is attached to the harmonic dampner...on the dampner there will be a groove cut across the outside ring...on the drivers side of the motor..at about 2 oclock looking at the front of the motor will be the timing tab....you will have to clean it real well..it has marks on it and numbers...you line the groove from the harmonic dampner with the 5th mark on the timing tab...BTDC..now its a 50-50 chance that you will be on the right compression stroke...so if it dosent work(start) rotate the engine 360 degrees and try again...at the bottom of the distributor their will be a clamp with a 9/16 bolt holding it...just loosen it enuff to turn the whole distributor

Anderson,CA