The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2006, 12:29 AM   #51
dalbers

Re: Crazy idea about painting my truck

any updates bob? I should have some pics up in a little while, gotta find some batteries. spent more time with the gf and less time on the truck this weekend. batteries dead, will have to wait til morning.

Last edited by dalbers; 09-24-2006 at 12:32 AM.
dalbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:44 AM   #52
jooooooe

I can't believe what I'm reading......and to think that I have nightmares about the paint shop subsituting acrylic enamel for urathane
jooooooe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:14 AM   #53
dalbers

everyone has different goals and budgets for their trucks, just trying to do the best and share information with everyone. mine is just going to be my work truck, so why spend money on the paint, i just need one color that looks good.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:56 AM   #54
jooooooe

your right, that was below the belt
Old 09-24-2006, 02:35 PM   #55
dalbers

that's cool jooooooe, anyway, went golfing this morning so i'm just now getting the pictures up. polished the hood a little bit last night. It looks pretty good. I didn't do a good prep on it, just pretty much took an old hood out of my dad's shed and put some paint on it. There are some deep scratches from the shoddy prep I did do. There is also some dull areas from improper wet sanding i'm guessing. All in all though, I still think you can get a nice looking paint job, and i'm not saying show quality do this to your truck that you've spent thousands of hours getting ready for paint, but for those who want their truck to be the same color and not look like bad. Also, I have no idea how this will hold up over time, but from the moparts thread, the guy with the charger says it does fine. Anyway, enough ranting, here are the pics. You can see pretty good in the second pic the dull spots I'm talking about.
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2006, 04:02 PM   #56
Bob D
Rolled on Paint Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalbers View Post
any updates bob? I should have some pics up in a little while, gotta find some batteries. spent more time with the gf and less time on the truck this weekend. batteries dead, will have to wait til morning.
Not yet, Mother Nature is not cooperating and providing me with dry warm weather here on the weekends when I can paint. Rained today and yesterday. Time is running out and fall is approaching fast. Looks like I may only get 1 more coat on the cab before I have to call it quits on outdoor painting until spring. In that case I will go ahead and put the cab back on the frame and slowly add the front clip as the parts are painted indoors, then roll on a few final coats in the spring.

Bob
Summit 1102 cam
Performer intake and carb.
Finally in about 1 piece in the yard.
Bob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:18 PM   #57
watahyahknow

i been reading those pages from the 50 dollar paintjob a while ago .
his trick in getting the paint hard in 12 hours and smooth was in the fact he thinned it quite heavely put on three see through coats and sanded the small rollertracks smooth then put on another couple and sanded again the last three coats sanded lightly and then he buffed it the paint is cheap and the rollers too but i think you get a tennisarm from all the rubbing with waterproof sandingpaper .
still it was hard enough to witstand a fingernail scratch after 24 hour and yes he did use a foam roller and a foam brush and worked panel by panel so it would be smooth before drying and he was able to keep the paint on the car alone instead of in the air too .
i've been thinking about trying it that way , but i used to spray paint for a living and know a thing or two about the bad places you need to put paint on the fear i have is not be able to get the paint to be smooth in the nooks and crannies using the brush or roller or even sand there after it dried , i still might use rustoleum cause its cheap and eazier to keep good (two pack goes off once you mixed it ) and the spraygun and other tools clean up whell with regulair thinner after youre done .

i would stay away from spraycans its too thin a paint to get a even enough coat without drips , besides that it would be cheaper to get a can of paint and use a spraygun in the long run if youre planning on doing more paint in the future ....if you only going to do it once you might even rent borrow the paintgun
the trick of getting the paint smooth without running is to have some lights hanging round the car and use the reflectiont of that light in the paint youre spraying on to see when the paint is going from orangepeel to smooth , its a verry narrow border from flowing to dripping and you need to practice it .
the other things you learn from books .
i can tell you theres nuttin more satisfying than watching youre work shining like its made out of glass after you roll it out of the paintbooth

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:24 PM   #58
JAKES 68GMC
Aluminum slot wheels rule...

dalbers- That looks great. Did you thin the paint any or did you just roll it on right out of the can? Anything special you did to the hood prepping or painting it?

Last edited by JAKES 68GMC; 09-24-2006 at 06:28 PM.
JAKES 68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:48 PM   #59
dalbers

I thinned it with mineral spirits til it was pretty thin. If you do it, make sure you get the high density foam roller. I didn't really do much prep, the prep I did do was not good. I don't remember what grit of sandpaper I used, but it made scratches that I didn't notice until I had a few coats of paint on. If you're going to try it, do a test to help get the kinks out. Nothing would be worse than doing your whole truck and not be happy with it.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:03 PM   #60
JAKES 68GMC

I was planning on trying it on my tailgate first because it's all stove to hell anyway. It looks as if my painting days are over though, its not supposed it get above 65 degrees this week. Have to try it next summer I suppose.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:11 PM   #61
jooooooe

dalbers, you live not too far from Dorothy and Toto don't you? I've been through that way several times on my way to Indiana.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:12 PM   #62
dalbers

The charger guy said he painted during the winter, but I haven't even looked what rustoleum suggests. Here are some more pics closer to sundown.
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2006, 09:24 PM   #63
JAKES 68GMC

I've tried painting Rustoleum before when it was 50-55degrees out. It took 4 days to dry, and didn't stick worth a crap.

A man could almost shave in gloss like that.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:13 AM   #64
watahyahknow

wat i read on that 50 dollar paintjob story there where more people having that problem and it boiled down to laying the layers on too thick or using anything other than white mineral spirits .
they even used it when it rained outside and it held up pretty good after they stuck to the recepy

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:05 PM   #65
Scott Webster
Sheetmetal Psycho

Talking Re: Crazy idea about painting my truck

I used Rustoleum tractor paint years ago on a Ford 8N years ago and the logging chains never scuffed the paint. It still holds well last I knew. After seeing that, I rattle-canned my 72 C10 (I was 15 at the time). I sprayed 4 coats I think and then a clear coat. I never had a problem with the paint. Only time it looked bad was when I hit a deer and sold it. We all do what we can afford to do. Heck - my 71 C10 is painted flat black right now just to make it one color. And yes, it was rattle canned. After the body is fixed up, then it will get something nice. Til then, rattle rattle rattle...
Scott Webster is offline   Reply With Quote