The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2006, 12:12 PM   #1
abadsvt

Has anyone made custom inner fenders?

Hello i was doing a search on "inner fenders" and i did see any custom inner fenders. I am not talking about trailer fenders modified to fit in our trucks. Those look nice but still have one side open for dirt and stuff to get on the firewall and engine. I was hoping to find someone who has a bagged truck with custom made inner fenders that actually work to keep dirt out of the engine compartment. I think that makes sence. If no-one does have any custom made can someone please enlighten me on how much dirt and grime you have on your firewall without the inner fenders. I love the look without the inner fenders but want to be able to drive it without spendy 5hrs detailing the engine compartment. If you put the trailer fenders on does that just eliminate rock chips on the firewall? Any comments would be much appreciated because i want my truck really low but want to show off the engine compartment and if that means leaving the stock fenders in and not layer rocker then i might have to sacrafice that . Thanks Josh
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:51 PM   #2
shifty
Questionable

Re: Has anyone made custom inner fenders?

I don't think you need custom inner fenders to bag your truck.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:05 PM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

You can install inserts on the inside of the trailer fenders to prevent dirt and debris coming in. Most guys leave them open to show off more of their detailed suspension.

I spent a lot of hours and dollars to have the fender liners on my 82 Blazer modified. The inner fender has been sectioned and raised, the liner have been sectioned and extended. It's a lot of work, but it can be done...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:07 PM   #4
1LoC10
Insert Title Here

best bet would be to start with a tailer fender, and just build a side to it that bolts to the frame and clears the control arms

1000 pics of 67-72's>> http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z...-72/?start=all <<
1LoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:57 PM   #5
abadsvt

Has anyone had or know someone with personal experience about the road grime that gets into your engine compartment? I would like to leave them off like everyone else to show off some of my parts but want to be practical also. I think that if i don't drive it when it rains or just rained and try to stay on pavement do you think i will have to clean my engine compartment often? Thanks for the help everyone.

Josh
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:40 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Josh,
I have the factory liners in my 77 Cheyenne. Since I put the new motor in I have not driven it in the rain. I spent two hours cleaning it Saturday.

My point is not matter what your wheels are going to sling crap under your hood. Trailer fenders will reduce that some but nothing will make it go away. If you run without liners everything will get under your hood, including rock chips from the inside out...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote