The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2006, 02:36 PM   #1
kiriuskris

Exclamation Wait a minute? Smoke coming from the defroster?

We bought my 67 C-10 from a guy who had taken out the original radio and put in his own Motorola transistor radio. The problem is he cut out part of the opening to make way for it and fabricated his own mounting plate. Well I was trying to take the radio out one day and got frustrated so I left it hanging there in the opening. I meant to come back to it but school started and I don’t get back home much, usually to the farm on the weekends. Well we’re harvesting and they were using it to drive back and forth from field to field. The radio ended up falling back into the dash and there it sat.

Luckily my brother left his cell phone in the truck and heard it ringing. So he went back and noticed smoke pouring out from the dash. It was electrical wires burning. They unhooked the battery and pulled the radio back up. After it cooled down they wanted to drive it back to the shop to work on it. Well they got it started back up and drove it back to the shed. However once they got there, the key did not turn off the motor. It’s a 3 speed so they just killed it and tried it again and same deal. So now there it sits with the batter unhooked, waiting for me to dive into it.

I wanted to get your guys’ opinion on what I should look for and what will be involved. I realize it’s probably going to be a pain in the butt, nevertheless, if I can just re-solder the wires and put some shrink tubing on that would be great.

What do you think?

I'm about hot cars and fast women. Or was it hot women and fast cars?

Last edited by kiriuskris; 09-29-2006 at 02:37 PM.
kiriuskris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 02:46 PM   #2
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

Re: Wait a minute? Smoke coming from the defroster?

Sounds like you melted some wires together in the loom. Pull your gauge cluster so you can get to everything and you might be able to save it by seperating the wires in the wireing harness but if its major fried you may be better off just replacing it.
sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote