The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2002, 11:53 AM   #1
72C10chevy4x4
UK Wildcat Fan!

looking at steering column and seats from Caddy-what's worked for you?

I found a 86 cadilac (not sure which one though) which had some comfortable leather seats (split bench). I'm sure I could make it work, but would like input as to what you chose and how it fit. I have the tank behind the seat but will take it out ASAP-I'm not excited about having gas (and the fumes) behind me!

has anyone used a steering column from a later model auto-the caddy has tilt plus tranny shifter on the column. also has a nice turn signal w/ hi beams and cruise built in.

thanks for your input,
Paul
72C10chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 02:38 PM   #2
71k5

I put a big ol' Caddy seat in my Blazer several years ago and I love it; leather armrest and all. If you have long legs, check how thick the backrest is because it may move you forward more than you are used to in your pickup...
71k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 03:23 AM   #3
Duallie

I adapted a Cadillac tilt/telescope column and Cadillac 6-way power seat tracks with Laser buckets. I kept the key and the shifter on the column and added a PRNDL on the column. Keeping the ignition switch on the column was a TIGHT fit in the pedal pivot bracket.
Old 10-20-2002, 08:51 AM   #4
lux hauler
Psycho-billy Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Duallie
I adapted a Cadillac tilt/telescope column and Cadillac 6-way power seat tracks with Laser buckets. I kept the key and the shifter on the column and added a PRNDL on the column. Keeping the ignition switch on the column was a TIGHT fit in the pedal pivot bracket.
Duallie.....do you have any pictures of the Caddy seat and tilt set-up?
I have a '72 Eldorado that I'm parting and I'm thinking of using that stuff in my truck.

Support your community, support yourself. Buy local, buy American (or Canadian).
lux hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 11:22 AM   #5
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Duallie
Duallie, I'd also be interested in pics of the column setup and any info you have on the swap. I'm trying to find a home for the ignition switch on my truck and the column is an ideal place for it. I too would need a PRNDL setup for my column shift.

Thanks in advance,

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 01:02 AM   #6
Duallie

Well, I don't have any pictures, but I can describe what I did.
The '76 Cad column turned out to be the same jacket length as the stock column, so the only adaptation was to shorten the upper shifter sleeve (the part with the shifter handle) so that it would clear the gauge panel, and open up a notch in the pedal support to clear the ignition switch and rod. Then, because I cut the column anti-rotation locate tab, I welded in a pin that was a tight fit in a new hole in the column. That way, the column would go back in the same way every time and wouldn't twist or slide. The original column clamp holds it all up. The ignition switch required a custom harness with crimped "flag" terminals (90 degree) to clear the pedal bracket. The firewall clamp was reused, and the shift linkage was modified slightly. The PRNDL was a cast aluminum part unscrewed from a '66 or older GM big car, then carefully fit to the ignition lock bump on the Cad column.

The power BUCKET seat tracks I located on the forward outer seat boltholes. I drilled new forward inner holes, and both rear bolts went through a 1/2" thick aluminum bar to space the tracks up and stiffen the floor. Then I welded up a square frame from 1 1/2" channel on edge to adapt the power tracks to the Laser seats. The seat controls I hung from a bracket screwed to the seatframe adapter.

I guess I gotta get the site updated before it snows......
Old 10-21-2002, 12:22 PM   #7
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

My truck has a tilt/telescopic steering column that a previous owner installed. It's either a Cadillac or a Pontiac column. The only modifications I could find is that the speedometer bezel was trimmed out a bit as this column is fatter.

It does have the key on the column (I don't use it) but doesn't have a shift indicator. It does have the nub for a column shifter to attach to.

Here's a pic but it doesn't show much:
Attached Images

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 07:28 PM   #8
XXL
Seņor Member

Sounds like I need your column

Or... looking at that shifter makes me think I need to do a floor shifter, which would give me more flexibility on columns to use... like a 73+ truck column or something like that. Or, heck, maybe a later model column with all the goodies on it like lights, etc. Hmmm. I need to make a run to the boneyard.

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote