The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2006, 12:27 PM   #1
scott69c-10

Front Disc Swap Help Needed

All,
I swapped out the ratty old drums on my 69 C-10 with 2 1/2" drop spindles from GMC paul and the rest of the brake upgrade stuff from LMC Trucks. Got the passenger side done after fighting with the ball joints(which I also replaced) and put it all together. Once I got the wheel on I noticed that it was tough, if not impossible to rotate the wheel (truck was still on jack stands). What did I do wrong? Also seems that the brake pads rattle a bit the in the calipers (will this remedy itself once the brake system is bleed/pressurized?)
I got the driver's side ready to put back togteher, just want to see if I did something wrong before I proceed.
scott69c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:11 PM   #2
lost wages

Re: Front Disc Swap Help Needed

if you have a 15 inch wheel on it the spindle may be hitting the wheel, or your spindle nut on the bearing is way to tight.
lost wages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:25 PM   #3
jimmydean

Mine are the same way. On mine, there doesn't seem like there is enough room between the pads and the rotor. It was an extreemly tight fit getting the caliper mounted. I checked the wheel nut before I mounted the caliper, and it's just as hard to spin with the wheel off.

I put in an email to GMC Pauls, I hope to hear back soon. My truck is still on the jack stands.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
scott69c-10

I talked to GMC paul and he said that the spindles he sells are meant to be used with 69 ball joints (which I bought from LMC and ordered the 1969 ones thankfully) and he suggested loosening the spindle nut until there is just a slight drag. i think I might have tightened it way too much. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. As far as the calipers, they are for a 1.25" rotor, the ones I have are slightly less than an inch and a quarter so they should work once I get the system back together.
scott69c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote