The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2002, 03:20 PM   #1
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Control Arm Question

I was wondering if some of you were installing new upper and lower control arms or just changing the bushings and cleaning them up?
VDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 03:46 PM   #2
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Unless you have a rust or bent problem I would not worry about replacing them. I bought new cross shafts for both the uppers and lowers and had all of it powder coated. Looks like brand new!

They are expensive to replace, so if you can salvage your originals I would. I did find that one of my lower arms was towed in at the cross shaft bolt and I didn't realize it until after it was powder coated. That cost me $20 for a used A-arm and $75 for more powder coating work.

Here is a pic of how they turn out when PC'ed. I know someone else just wire brushed theirs and painted and they looked great as well.
Attached Images

1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 03:47 PM   #3
COBALT

I just finished installing new center bars, bushings, and grease seals into the upper and lower control arms a couple of weeks ago after I cleaned, wire wheeled, and painted all of the original parts with 2 coats of Rust-o-leum. Turns out my driver's side lower control arm is probably on its last run. You can only press in lower ball joints so many times before the press is too loose, and you'll either have to install a bushing or sleeve, or just get a new lower control arm.

I'll probably get new lower ones when I do the frame-off.
Attached Images

Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 03:54 PM   #4
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Ah, thanks Cobalt...you were the one I was thinking of. You did a great job on that.

I see you have the Kayaba shocks from ECE. Did your shock fit correctly in the lower a-arm shock bracket? On initial attempts mine don't want to fit on either side. The shock is wider than the bracket. I may have to grind down that sleeve a little in the shock to get it to fit. Just curious.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

Old 10-22-2002, 05:36 PM   #5
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Thanks for the info guys. By the way 71 Stepside, your frame is the BOMB!!! LOL
Im about to order my disc brake kit from Mc Gaughys Classic Chevy Parts, and needed that info. Since there kit does not come with control arms.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:17 PM   #6
COBALT

Um...you're kidding about mine looking good, right 1971Stepside? Compared to yours??? What, are you kidding? Mine look trashy compared to yours!

j/k Thanks

No, my shocks fit just fine inside the lower control arm bracket. Maybe the wrong shocks for you? I did have to use those little black sleaves that came with the shocks that fit inside the shock mount so the bolt would fit nice and tight. Too much space inside the shock mount for the bolt. I had to get the shallow nuts as well so I could use a lock-washer on the bolts. The control arm didn't give me enough room to get a std. size nut on the bolt with the lock washer.

The upper studs they give you also caused a problem. There was about 1/16" of play between the shock mount, and the end of the shank on the shock stud. I had to go get another set of washers that had an inner diameter of 5/8" that would slide over the shank of the stud to take up the play. Then the std. washer, lockwasher, and bolt went over that.

That's it though. Don't know about the back yet. Still waiting for my shock stud plates from Lost Wages. They're in the mail...
Seattle, WA.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:30 PM   #7
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

That is funny mine didn't come with any black inserts to take up the slack. I hear what you are saying on the uppers. I want to throw those things away and start over! No worries though, we will get them on and looking appropriately.

Lost Wages is one good dude. He told me the other day he had mailed some things off to board members so I would say you will get them any day.

He has helped me a bunch. Especially with the sand blaster and shop.

Old 10-22-2002, 06:41 PM   #8
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

COBALT, dont kid yourself, your painted parts look great.
I probably will do the same thing unless I invest in that powder coat kit from Powerhouse Products. LOL
That will be the only way my stuff gets powder coated.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:52 PM   #9
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Man that powder coatin kit would get me into trouble......i can imagine that "burnt" smell in the wifey's oven! oops, id have to tell her....I cant help it, Im just a man
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 07:11 PM   #10
COBALT

1971Stepside: If you got your stuff from Early Classic give them a call and tell them you didn't get the little bags of harware that have the 2 black sleaves + the 8 grade shock mount spacers for ANY of your shocks. Ask Stan. He'll just flat-out send them to you. He did for me. I told them they missed sending me new shock studs, and he said, "Ah, crap. You're supposed to get those." He mailed them to me that very day. Same with some of the grease seals. They're really good at making sure you have everything. If you don't they'll know right away and make it up.

There should have been a little bag that came with each shock. Also, they're supposed to give you new shock studs (like I mentioned above). They're not like the originals though. The nuts are the same size and everything, but the base on the shank side doesn't take a wrench very well. It isn't hex shaped. There's only two flat sides opposite each other. The rest is round (how sh!tty is that?). In other words be thankful you have an exposed frame. I just about broke my knuckles getting those new shock studs in.

As for the paint job the lower control arms were a *****. Those bumper towers are hard to get paint into. I had to buy a can of brush-on, and use a sponge to get paint inside it. Same thing with the little space on the under side next to the spring pocket. What a pain in the butt.

Then I got a bad can of spray paint. There was moisture in the can, and it made the paint rise up as it dried. I had to strip it down and redo it. Always test your paint.

Finally, the jokers at the machine shop got grease ALL OVER the arms. I'm not talking about just a little bit. They got grease all over the damn things. I had to clean them afterwards, which is ok, but I was afraid I would loose paint.
Seattle, WA.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:13 PM   #11
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Yea my wife would kill me also! Thats why im buying a used large electric oven. It will stay in the garage until I need to bake some parts. I figure I will powder coat everything that can fit in the oven. LOL