The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2006, 10:49 PM   #1
sameyrasmea72

Original GM fenders or not?

I have what I thought were perfect original GM fenders. They are off a 72 Cheyenne Super and all the trim holes and emblem holes lined up perfect. On closer inspection I found a stamp on them that I don’t recall seeing before, and the stamp is not on a set of 69 fenders I have lying around . Has any body seen this stamp on their fenders or know if it means they are after market?

The stamped #/name is in front of where the hood hinge mounts to the fender. Thanks for any info.
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2006, 10:59 PM   #2
pickupman

Re: Original GM fenders or not?

Yes, they are an aftermarket fender

67 1/2 ton 4wd custom cab
72 1/2 ton 4wd super cheyenne
71 1/2 BB super cheyenne shortbed
pickupman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:20 PM   #3
sameyrasmea72

Crud, that is not the answer I was looking for!
Old 10-14-2006, 11:26 PM   #4
Aarons72s

The logo on the left looks like the Gordon company logo, a cheap aftermarket supplier. What kind of quality do you feel they are? Do you have more pics?
Aaron
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:27 PM   #5
phantom dually
Project92 SWB stepside

Hope you didnt pay alot!!
92 C1500 stepside 496 Stroker Competiton Engineering Ladder bars/QA1 coilovers. Dana 60 rear with 4.10 gear and posi. Bonspeed Palisade 20x12 in rear w/335/30/20 and 20x8.5 front w/245/40/20. 5/8 drop with Belltech springs/DJM spindles/drop shocks. WWS Progress thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=140448
phantom dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:50 PM   #6
Stano

Gordon is aftermarket. Seen that emblem alot in the bodyshop.

Nice ride 67 Chevy C-10 LWB Built 350 TH-400

Wifes ride and family rig:
2001 Furd Expedition 5.4 Liter
Kickin back in Rolla,Mo. USA

"Do the thing you fear most and the death of fear is certain" Mark Twain
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:52 PM   #7
sameyrasmea72

They look very good, but I didn't really like the way the grill fit when the truck was together. I knew the grill was replaced at sometime and and knew something was not right but I thought/was hoping it was just poor alingment. It could of been poor alingment and maybe could of been corrected, but now I will never know until it waaay to late.
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2006, 11:58 PM   #8
sameyrasmea72

one more
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2006, 12:00 AM   #9
Aarons72s

Nice picks sameyraesmea72. The reason I asked is there is a dealer here (certifit) who gets those gordon fenders really cheap and thought about buying them but was wandering how they fit. They look like they meet my standards. Thanks again.
Aaron
Old 10-15-2006, 12:09 AM   #10
sameyrasmea72

Unfoutunately there is no way now for me to try to see if they will lign up perfectly. The truck is stripped down too far to go back now, so I guess I will have to start looking for GM ones. I should of known the fenders were too nice to be 35 years old.
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2006, 12:18 AM   #11
Aarons72s

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameyrasmea72 View Post
Unfoutunately there is no way now for me to try to see if they will lign up perfectly. The truck is stripped down too far to go back now, so I guess I will have to start looking for GM ones. I should of known the fenders were too nice to be 35 years old.

sameyrasmea72, I got lucky 3 years back when a friend told me about a 68 front clip put out for heavy trash. Well I went to get it, hay it was free, and the guy that had put it out said do you want another one! I said well let me see it. The 68 clip had a good core support and orginal guide it lights but the fenders were shot, well he showed me a 69 clip in his garage it was in real good shape perfect dr fender and core support but the passenger fender was shot, well it just so happened I really needed a dr fender. So I said I would be interested in it, well he told me since that one was in good shape it would cost me 70 bucks! I said sure and got 2 front clips for 70 bucks, ended up selling the 68 front clip to anaighbor for 50bucks! so in the end I got a straight gm drivers fender and a rust free core support for 20 bucks !
So you never know what you might find.
Aaron
Old 10-15-2006, 07:51 AM   #12
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

I had a set of those fenders and sold them, they fit ok, but the body
lines were sorta off slightly, but then again I am anal on that stuff
Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 09:33 AM   #13
see ten
WTB this ad

What's going to get you on those is what you already know. They have a problem at the grill. If you have them off and can compare them to an original GM fender you can see the difference. If you are looking at where the fender makes the 90* bend from the side of the truck to the front of the truck ( where the grill has to slide over the fenders ). You will see that the bend wasn't taken far enough before it points toward the front of the truck again. That may sound confusing but if you have the two fenders side by side it will become obvious. This is why the grill seems to not want to go back toward the core support as far as it should. Just get your hammer out and go to work on em, they'll be fine. Those are older aftermarket fenders and are the same as what my K10 has. And no we didn't catch it until they were mounted and painted. And yes the old man hammered and worked the devil out of them to make them look right. At that time they were all that was available.

see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 09:44 AM   #14
Ron 586
RIP Mr Ron

That is one nice 4wd. Every time I see it I like it better. See ya next weekend at Luvs place.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

TN Message Forum

TN Facebook Group

SETN Truck Show

My Photobucket
Ron 586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:19 AM   #15
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

DAMN you have some nice trucks see ten.
72CSTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 12:01 PM   #16
sameyrasmea72

Quote:
Originally Posted by see ten View Post
What's going to get you on those is what you already know. They have a problem at the grill. If you have them off and can compare them to an original GM fender you can see the difference. If you are looking at where the fender makes the 90* bend from the side of the truck to the front of the truck ( where the grill has to slide over the fenders ). You will see that the bend wasn't taken far enough before it points toward the front of the truck again. That may sound confusing but if you have the two fenders side by side it will become obvious. This is why the grill seems to not want to go back toward the core support as far as it should. Just get your hammer out and go to work on em, they'll be fine. Those are older aftermarket fenders and are the same as what my K10 has. And no we didn't catch it until they were mounted and painted. And yes the old man hammered and worked the devil out of them to make them look right. At that time they were all that was available.
That is a sweet truck see ten! I swore the next truck I did was going to be a 4x4, but I gave in and decided to do another BB.

Thanks for the info. I knew when looking at the truck when it was together that the grill was not going up against the fenders like they should, but I had no idea it was the fenders themselves. I am still a long ways away from paint time so I will start to look for some GM ones. It shouldn't be to difficult around here, but it is still disappointing be cause I thought I had perfect fenders with all the trim holes in place.

This fender/grill replacement might help explain why my frame measurements are a little off. I have two SWB frames that I am trying to pick 1 from to use on my truck and the front end measurements are a little off from the LWB. I was thinking that since the swb's were bare frame that maybe they were bent a little, but all these REPLACEMENTS make me think it's the yellow truck that is bent.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:35 PM   #17
alblogg

Aftermarket fenders and other parts are an answer to the pocket book but sometimes a nightmare to the Body man. I get a lot of my stuff from Eagle Inds not to much of the old stuff but the late model parts because on some of the insurance jobs that is all they will pay for or used parts. So I would rather order a aftermarket hood or fender prep it bang on it a little paint it and get it out of the shop than hunt a used one then have to spend maybe a day on it working out dents and dings. So for the money aftermarket is good but if you are hard core want to stay 100% to the factory then buy GM fenders but I have had to take a rubber hammer, a dolly and hammer to them also.
Tuner,Viper
'88 K1500 Cheyenne, 5.0, stock, bought new
'86 Nissan 720 Trash Truck
'69 C/10 step side, 307, all original, second owner, in process of restore.

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrurt the person doing it.
Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.

Allen- Paintman
Wrenchtwister
Broompusher
alblogg is offline   Reply With Quote