The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2002, 02:52 PM   #1
MStokes

White Haze on Windshield

Around the edges of my front windshield there is a white haze that extends from the edges to an inch or two inward. Is this just due to age? I don't think it is anything I can clean off but it is annoying and looks bad. I'm not sure, but I think it has gotten worse the last couple of years.
Old 10-18-2002, 02:54 PM   #2
colohusker

It's delaminating. The layers of plastic and glass are separating. Time to start looking for a new windshield, since it will only get worse over time.

'71 C10 Deluxe, factory ac, ps, pb, should be done by 2102

Longmont, CO
husker95@hotmail.com
colohusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 09:34 PM   #3
imdarren

This topic has come up before on this board, and many many guys have the some problems with their windshields. Including myself with my 72 GMC. colohusker is correct about the delaminating.

Darren

1967 Chevy C10 LWB Rodstoration In Progress.
1972 K20 Cheyenne Super
imdarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 10:14 PM   #4
colohusker

and might want to check out this thread before replacing
http://64.246.42.114/vboard/showthre...threadid=27327

'71 C10 Deluxe, factory ac, ps, pb, should be done by 2102

Longmont, CO
husker95@hotmail.com
colohusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 12:28 AM   #5
Paul Clark

Think this is correct. -
The back and side windows are plate glass. The front windshield is the safety stuff. It is in layers. With age, moisture gets in between the layers. That's the white stuff you see. Looks kinda like dried milk or primer over-spray, right?
My humble advice would be to get a new windshield, new rubber boot, and hire some pros to install it.
That's after you make sure the lip and area between the windshield and drip rail are solid with no rust.
A new windshield is pretty cool. Makes a big difference in how you see the world.
Paul Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 12:31 AM   #6
Paul Clark

I forgot something. -
Make sure to tell the dealer that you get your windshield from whether or not you have AC.
Trucks with AC will have a greenish tint to the windows.
Old 10-19-2002, 11:15 AM   #7
hughnews1

I got a New Windshield NO White

I bot a new WS at CARlisle Fall show for my c-10 '69 Rush never sleeps ... only $99 wo hoooooooooo
hughnews1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 12:44 AM   #8
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

door and back glass are normally tempered saftey glass

front glass is laminated safety glass,

alll glass since early 60;s or so is safety glass, although i have had some '67-70 with laminated safety back cab glasses, same as front glass, and other were normal tempered safety glass

pane glass is actually flaot glass, the stuff in most all house an door windows.

terminology differs, heh

good luck
Fast68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 12:49 AM   #9
Hooter
My other Love

nothing like getting a new windshield, then getting a frigin chip in the thing a week later argh! (happened to me twice)

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 12:58 AM   #10
mikep
Used to have a truck

I put a windshield in today in my 68. Took my brother and I about an hour and a half. Started on the bottom and worked our way around with the rope and a bunch of dish detergent . Not too much pressure. Worked fine although the new rubber is slightly smaller than the old and I'll have to do a little touch up painting.

Ive never done one before but unless its just something I absolutely cannot do by myself ...like new exhaust, I WON'T let anyone else work on my truck.
Old 10-21-2002, 08:31 AM   #11
Huck

Windshields---lots of talk lately--had a new one installed in my truck 4 years ago---two tubes of windshield sealer later and it still leaks!!
Ever wonder why the dash on our trucks have two small holes in the corners ???? Anyway, if you buy a new windshield yourself, you may find it difficult to find a shop to install it and guarantee the job. You may also find that you need a new gasket once you get into the process. Many of the replacements widshields are made in Mexico and are slightely smaller in width/heighth but also in thickness. Some of the seals are too big and or too hard even after sitting in the sun for hours. Have heard of some shops installing new glass for as little as $110. Most shops charge around $300. because they know insurance will pay. If you go into a shop, plead insanity, explain you don't have glass insurance and look PITIFUL, they may cut you a break and give you a deal. Their actualy cost for a new windshield from the Mexico connection is around $50. After having gone thru the mess of trying it myself twice, I got glass coverage from my insurance company. Of course that doesn't help with my project trucks~~~~~~Good luck----Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 09:28 AM   #12
MStokes

Thanks everybody for the great advice. I will probably shop around awhile before I get it replaced or maybe decide to do it myself. I also want to put in a slider on the back windo at the same time and I want to make sure I get the tints correct.
Old 10-21-2002, 10:19 PM   #13
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

Whats this about the AC trucks having a green tint? Has anyone else heard of this before? Tinted windows was an option on these trucks but I have never heard of or seen a different windsheild in AC trucks.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 10:27 PM   #14
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

There are 3 different sheilds, a clear, a tinted (green), & a tint/shade. The top portion on the tint /shade is a dark blue.....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 10:55 PM   #15
Paul Clark

I'm not a "know it all" on this stuff, and am eager to learn, but -
If the truck was equiped with factory AC, there was some kind of tint on the glass. Mine was green.
crazy longhorn, could you "clear this up" for me (us)?
No pun intended.
Thanks
Paul
Old 10-21-2002, 11:13 PM   #16
crazy longhorn

Yes , the factory air trucks did have green tinted glass. the door & rear glass were also green tint. the more base models had clear glass. I cant run option codes tho, as i havent played with that.....i bet Longhorn mail could help there ........crazy AL
Old 10-21-2002, 11:29 PM   #17
Paul Clark

Strange, isn't it? The non AC trucks that needed it most weren't equipped with tinted glass. ???
Old 10-21-2002, 11:38 PM   #18
mikep
Used to have a truck

Mine is factory air. No tint in the glass
Old 10-22-2002, 12:01 AM   #19
crazy longhorn

I had to walk out to the garage for this 1.... on my 69 longhorn, tinted glass is listed as an option (B85). The air cond is also listed as another option(J79). I had always thought that the air & tinted glass went together......but evidently not! probably more often than not, the 2 options were put together,as pretty much what i have seen in parting trucks is that the air trucks had the tinted glass. maybe somebody else can shed some light on the subject? ......crazy AL
Old 10-22-2002, 09:07 AM   #20
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

I have seen and have a cab with AC and no tinted glass. And have tinted glass on a non AC cab.

The tint option doesnt seem too common, or maybe I just dont pay that much attention and its not that easy to notice.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 12:16 AM   #21
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Never seen them listed together. you get A/C, you get a big radiater...that is the only thing I remember seeing. (I don't have my books here)
I have had 3 trucks, no tint on any glass, and one had A/C.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 06:48 AM   #22
hughnews1

FS new in the box Windsheild >>

bot at the calise show for rust '69 just bot a AZ 71 so NO WS needed as the AZ has a new one intall ... so anybody need one ? i paid $99 lockated in W NY state next to the canal here ...
hughnews1@aol.com thanks
hughnews1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 12:22 PM   #23
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

Quote:
Originally posted by Huck
Have heard of some shops installing new glass for as little as $110. Most shops charge around $300. because they know insurance will pay. If you go into a shop, plead insanity, explain you don't have glass insurance and look PITIFUL, they may cut you a break and give you a deal.
The prices for glass are dropping due to some of the major insurance companies buying into the glass industry. The glass industry was charging all they could for glass. Heck when this was first going on we were paying up to $600 our cost for some windshields for cars. After this happened the price for the windshields for the same cars dropped to $150 our cost. This really irked some wholesalers because they got stuck with stock that was worth 600 one day and only worth 150 the next day.