The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2006, 05:48 AM   #1
Ackattack

Front suspension geometry

Does anyone know how the front suspension is on these handling wise? What I mean by that is, does using lowering springs improve or degrade the geometry. Are there other modifications that can be done to improve geometry?

I AM NOT refering to "just adding" a swaybar. I AM talking about camber curves. Does the front suspension add negative camber as it goes into compression?

I know one thing that they do on the 1st gen camaros (called the goldstrand mod) is to move the upper control arm mounting point up to improve the camber curve. Is this sort of thing beneficial to our trucks.

I haven't seen any suspension upgrades for our trucks other than spring/shocks/swaybars, and really most of the springs and shocks are just to lower them, not neccessarily to improve handling (other than just the benefits of having a lower CG).

Maybe I'm crazy trying to get one of these trucks to turn a corner My goal is to out perform a Lightning. Acceleration wise is not too much of a challenge, but the lightnings actually handle pretty good for a truck.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:27 AM   #2
PBFAB.COM

Re: Front suspension geometry

Ackattack-
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=212001

That should do the trick for you.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:47 PM   #3
CochinoFilipino

I haven't seen much discussion here regarding suspension geometry from a performance aspect. Most of it's about lowering mostly for looks and laying frame. You'll probably have to take your own measurements and do your own calculations if you want to get into that far. There Are software programs out there for that.

In Mustangland we refer to the "Guldstrand mod" as the "Shelby Drop". Don't know if maybe you had a typo, but you LOWER the UCA to increase camber gain, not raise it.

I won't pretend to be schooled in chassis engineering or pretend that I've made any calculations. But you can picture in your head how lowering your vehicle has the same effect on the UCA. The inside mounting point of the UCA comes down with the body. On a car you relocate the UCA because you can only bring the car so low. But a truck can be lowered much more from it's stock ride hight and get more angle on the UCA's without having to relocate it.

There's another thread somewhere on this board right now about a camaro subframe installation, but not too much discussion in it of suspension geometry. If you go that route, you'd have all the camaro aftermarket parts to choose from. And there's an older build thread with someone putting a full corvette suspension in one of these trucks too.

I'm sure you're aware of the other sites where you can discuss such things, but in case you're not, try: pro-touring.com, corner-carvers.com and lateral-g.net.

If you decide to get deap into it, please do share.

Last edited by CochinoFilipino; 10-18-2006 at 02:50 PM. Reason: deleted some of the incomprehensible rambling
CochinoFilipino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:15 PM   #4
CochinoFilipino

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochinoFilipino View Post

There's another thread somewhere on this board right now about a camaro subframe installation, but not too much discussion in it of suspension geometry. If you go that route, you'd have all the camaro aftermarket parts to choose from. And there's an older build thread with someone putting a full corvette suspension in one of these trucks too.
Here's the link: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=213236

Quote:
I'm sure you're aware of the other sites where you can discuss such things, but in case you're not, try: pro-touring.com, corner-carvers.com and lateral-g.net.

Haha, I see that you already had posted about your PT truck over at PT.com
Old 10-16-2006, 10:40 PM   #5
Ackattack

Quote:
I
In Mustangland we refer to the "Guldstrand mod" as the "Shelby Drop". Don't know if maybe you had a typo, but you LOWER the UCA to increase camber gain, not raise it.
You're right, I was just going off of memory from awhile ago.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote