The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2006, 10:20 PM   #1
projectking

repo body panels

Well I am wondering what company makes the best fitting fenders, inner fenders, tailgates, cab floor suports, ect... basically looking for a one stop shop for everything I might need during the build. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. Jon
projectking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:38 PM   #2
matthufham

Re: repo body panels

i hear good things about the quality of goodmark products. alot of their parts are OK'd by GM
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:55 PM   #3
jimmydean

Goodmark stuff is nice. So far there haven't been any fit issues with the ones I've used. But I haven't used any for our trucks.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:32 AM   #4
Aarons72s

I have used a 67-68 cowl hood and passenger short wide bed side from good mark. Fit beautifully no modifications needed. Both were scuff and shoot.
Aaron
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:46 AM   #5
wildmanaaron

Goodmark doesn't make anything though. There are stamping companies in Taiwan that make most of the sheetmetal parts in the sheetmetal industry. Goodmark has "rights" to some products, but not everything. Alot of the parts are made/stamped by Tri Plus or other various names.

Alot of the venders sell the Goodmark parts because they generally sell the best quality or maker of the parts. Check out www.sokyclassics.com. I have bought several pieces from them and they were all fine.
wildmanaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:46 PM   #6
projectking

Thanks for the replies. Are the southern ky parts made in the us??
Old 10-16-2006, 09:53 PM   #7
byrd
Union Electrician

The only panels I know of the are American made are sold by Brothers. I believe floor patches are made in America, possibly more you will just have to ask.
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors

Last edited by byrd; 10-16-2006 at 09:53 PM.
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:15 AM   #8
outlawc

I cant say about the truck parts, but the Goodmark parts I have used have been extremely low quality Taiwan junk. I just finished 2, 1969 Camaro's and am working on a 1971 Cuda all of which had goodmark peices and all the goodmark parts require major body work for show quality restorations. Both Camaro's were all new, everything except the roof panel and both cars required major work to get perfect. There wasnt a straight, flat section anywhere on either car. I just put new goodmark quarters on the cuda and it was a nightmare. None of the body lines are right, the panel was about 1" to long and I had to do some creative cutting to get it to line up, and tooling marks in the metal that looked like someone went crazy with a cutoff wheel. Customer had brought out an new trunk lid also and when bolted on it was a 1/2" to short and it turned into a major problem trying to return the junk they sent. I will not use a goodmark panel unless there is absolutely no other alternative and then I charge more to use them. I think new Honda parts are thicker, super cheap metal. I would try to find good used parts first, then use the goodmark stuff as last resort. I had to buy inner and outer rockers and cab corners for my 68 c10 and they are Tri-Plus, and twice as thick as goodmark. I also have an El Camino that I am working on for myself and all the parts for it are Dynacorn. Just looking at them right out of the box the Dynacorn parts look 100 times better than any goodmark part I have used, and I have used a lot of them, but never again. I beleive the Dynacorn parts are Made in America, I will have to go look.

Nevermind , The dynacorn parts are stamped in Taiwan too, but do seem to be a lot better parts. The quarter, door and fenders I have are almost perfect and will require very little work to finish.

Last edited by outlawc; 10-17-2006 at 12:41 AM.
outlawc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 06:22 PM   #9
projectking

the stuff from brothers seems to be pretty nice, anyone ever use their inner fenders and core support??or any other of their truck parts??
Old 10-18-2006, 07:14 PM   #10
projectking

Also, is there a link to Tri Plus?? I havent been able to find anything.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:07 PM   #11
outlawc

The Tri-plus parts I got from Mother Truckers. I am sure they are from Taiwan to, but compared to the other parts I have gotten they are twice as thick and look ALOT better. The stampings are clean and straight and not wavy and gouged up. I havent put them on yet so I cant comment on fit but just in general they look alot better. Also the parts I have for my El Camino are all Dynacorn and seem to be better parts. The goodmark stuff isnt bad if you are just wanting to clean up your ride but for show quality work they just dont cut it. Not for me anyway, but I am real picky when it comes to fit and finish.

Last edited by outlawc; 10-18-2006 at 08:08 PM.
outlawc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:14 PM   #12
wildmanaaron

You won't find a website I believe for Tri Plus. Southern Kentucky Classics stuff is usually Tri_Plus brand parts.

As far as saying that something from say "Brother's" is good parts needs a little addition. What people need to say is if there is a name on the sticker of the parts from who made it.

Dyncacorn uses a blue rectangular label that has the description but no logo. Tri-Plus parts have their logo on it. They used to have a white rectangular label with their logo and other text printed on it. Those are the only two I know about.
wildmanaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:33 PM   #13
projectking

Well I bought floorpan patch panels from Brothers because they "looked" to be good in the pic but I'll know for sure when they arrive. Thanks for the help all.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:06 PM   #14
ChevyCrazy67

oem is the only sure fire fit to me. I've used tri plus and good mark and they are ok but like others have said they lack a certian quality. If I'm not wrong most all of the repo stuff does come from tiawan and being mass produced and shipped over seas there's sure to be imperfections. I've always keep that in mind when using them so I didn't have high expectations then get let down when I got them and had to make some mods.

1967 C-10 swb fleetside

1968 C-10 stepside

1999 Z71- sons dd

1999 2wd silverado-my dd

2003 Tahoe- wifes dd
ChevyCrazy67 is offline   Reply With Quote