The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2006, 12:26 AM   #1
Rat72

Ammeter in Alternator conversion

What does the ammeter do? And with a new Alternator conversion does it still do the same thing? The guage hasn't moved before or after the conversion.

Thanks,
Whit
Rat72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 12:46 AM   #2
nandress

Re: Ammeter in Alternator conversion

An ammeter measures the current or amps (or the number of electrons) flowing through a circuit. In order to measure current, it must be in series with the supply and load (i.e., generator or battery and the fuse panel or light, etc.). They are different than an voltmeter, which measures the potential in Volts (the electromotive force) across a source or load (i.e., battery or light bulb, etc.) Basically, volts are the pushers on the electrons and amps are the number of electrons.

So to answer your question, the ammeter will basically tell you that a quantity of electricity is flowing in your circuits. If you change your alternator and do nothing else to the wiring, the ammeter will still do the same thing. And most of the time an ammeter is perfectly fine.

However, modern conventional wisdom states that a voltmeter is better because it will give you a better indication that your battery is being charged (and doesn't fluctuate as much with engine rpm and load usage--radios, headlights, etc.). The catch is that with a voltmeter, you have to wire it differently. If you keep your stock guages, and your ammeter is working ok, then don't worry, keep it as it is.
nandress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 10:49 AM   #3
clay68c10

There are 2 inline fuses in your harness under the hood near the headlights on the right and left side. The fuses are the short glass type and pretty small amp rating. Usually one or both are blown and that kills the juice to the gauge.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 06:11 PM   #4
Rat72

Thanks, would the blown fuses cause my Alternator to not function?
Old 10-21-2006, 06:54 PM   #5
john
member #16

No , the only function of thr 4 amp fuses is for the ammeter.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 07:22 PM   #6
Rat72

Found the driver side fuse and it's toast. I can't seem to find the passenger side fuse but there has been a bit of work previously done. Someone may have eliminated it.

I'm planning on going to a volt meter. Can I remove the whole circuit? Does it do anything else?

Thanks,
Whit