The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2006, 10:56 PM   #1
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

Anyone running that Holley 670cfm TBI throttle body?

My truck has been idling rough, and the fuel injectors are actually starting to get noisy. I just recently replaced the original fuel filter after about what, 20 years? I could barely blow through it.

Anyways, the fuel injectors are about $120/ea for a decent OEM equivalant, so I did a search on ebay, and low and behold a new Holley TB for my truck for $199 buy it now + $20 shipping. This same TB is $420+ from Summit Racing.

It is a direct bolt on for my truck with new injectors included and I think the throttle body even has an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. They claim 25% HP and torque, but as far as I am concerned as long as I don't lose anything, I will be very happy.

redz 1970 K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:44 PM   #2
C&C Chevy

Re: Anyone running that Holley 670cfm TBI throttle body?

Can you self tune? Heard they will cause a rich condition that requires some tuning ability. I'm interested if anyone has first hand experience as well.

btw, I saw those TBI's on ebay earlier to and it appears to be a great deal. I about pulled the trigger and got one, but I ran across this and am reconsidering.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...d.php?t=217904

Current:
1986 SWB Silverado 4.3 / TH400

Past:
1985 SWB Silverado 305 / TH350 - sold 1995
1987 1/2 ton Silverado - FI 350 / 700R4 sold 2007
C&C Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 01:05 AM   #3
Farmer Mike

Even though Holley says that it's a direct replacement, it's too damn big for a 350! I did have mine on my truck for a couple of years before I tuned it. It blew black smoke while warming up and while it ran OK afterwards, the gas mileage was fairly low.

Now I can get 20+ MPG on the highway! I used to have a crazy timing curve programmed that made it run great, but the mileage went WAY down. I'll play with it again after I get a higher stall torque converter.

My honest suggestion would be to rebuild your stock TBI and use it until you're serious about more HP. Then the Holley would be a good choice.

** Redz, Here's a suggestion. Take a look at the spray pattern of your injectors. If you have leaks (dripping along with the spray), thats probably due to bad o-rings. If the spray pattern is an inverted cone, it's working fine. Get a rebuild kit and spend a few hours cleaning it up. From what I've experienced, it's good to change your fuel filter once a year. Maybe sooner if you like to run your fuel level lower than 1/4 full. Nice rebuilt injectors on Ebay for $124 if you REALLY think they're bad.

Mike

1987 Chevy 4X4 350 TBI with TPI heads, Crane Powermax 2030 Cam, Edelbrock 3704 Intake with 2" bores, Holley 502-6 TBI, Hedman hedders, and DIY custom chip (Hopeless .BIN addict).

Last edited by Farmer Mike; 10-21-2006 at 01:24 AM.
Farmer Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:42 PM   #4
bigarmzz

i've heard the same thing..they run rich, and your economy go's "ka-put"

it'd probably work well with a custom burned chip