The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2002, 07:31 PM   #1
Benrs86

how to prevent surface rust (its snowing on bare metal)

hey, my dad is pickup up a freshly sandblasted pickup cab and it is on the way home and it has started to snow, when we get it in the heated garage what do we do to prevent surface rust????? dry it off then??? thanks a lot, Ben
3 on the tree
350 engine 4 bolt main
rv cam
AIM = Alphray04
Benrs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 09:19 PM   #2
XXL
Seņor Member

You can spray it down with WD-40... but you'll be hatin' life when it comes time to prep and paint... because that stuff gets everywhere. Since you blasted the thing, I'm ASSuming you were planning to start work on it right away (or else even humidity in the air would start the oxidation process). So... how about you just dry it off and start the work?

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 09:34 PM   #3
StingRay

Buy any retail or commercial rust removing product that contains phosphoric acid with zinc. The zinc component will leave behind a zinc phosphate coating that is ideal for priming over anyway. PPG for one offers a product of this type. Eastwood has a product available called oxisolve. It's the stuff I use. Such procucts remove rust, etch the metal for adhesion and leave a rust inhibiting coating behind.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:47 PM   #4
Paul Clark

How soon are you going to paint it?
How much repair work do you want to do when you get ready to do it right?
Anything "fast and easy" you put on it now will have to come off when you get ready to really go for it. Spray bomb it with Rust Oleum, or dip it in motor oil. Like XXL said, however, WD-40 is not the bodyman's friend.
When you get ready to really make it shine, though, all the "temporary" stuff has to go.
I envy you. Bet it looks cool with all that pretty bare metal. You keep the snow, however.
Paul Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 10:54 PM   #5
big71
Account Suspended

rust mort is what i use
big71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 11:08 PM   #6
Benrs86

ok, so i should go buy something with zinc? see we are meaning to get right to it, but i have a guy that wants me to put a new engine in a intrepid for him, and my dads gone on business for one week, and we are busy, but hopefully in a couple weeks we will get to cutting and welding, and for those couple of weeks we need to do something. so if i sprayed wd40, that would last a while, but how do i make sure its off come time to paint? i should have been more specicific in my first post. so i need something that will keep the rust off for 3 months (it will probably be that at least before we work, but about 2 weeks till we start work) but i need something that we can paint on, or take off easily. thanks a lot, Ben
3 on the tree
350 engine 4 bolt main
rv cam
AIM = Alphray04
Benrs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 07:19 PM   #7
CraigS

Don't put WD40 on it. Get a product like mentioned from PPG or another choice is Picklex-20 (used to be Rass-o-Nil) and keep it dry. OR use the product and get a coat of epoxy primer on it.
CraigS is offline   Reply With Quote