The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
Crank

Anyone ever pulled a '73-87 with a Towbar?

Well just like the title says, has anyone ever done it? What all is involved, I pulled my old M886 one time with a towbar. Would I need to remove the bumper? I'm considering doing this with a VERY SMALL '86 swb with a 350/350 pulling a lifted Blazer, see other thread. I realize this could be a problem, but I figure as long as I take it SLOW, what could go wrong. Anyone ever done it and what kind of bar did you use? Thanks fellas
Brandon
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:31 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Anyone ever pulled a '73-87 with a Towbar?

Can you put it on a trailer? Tow bars will work, but things can go wrong and both trucks get damaged. If it's at all possible rent a trailer to get the job done...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:35 PM   #3
benoit454
Chris

I pulled my old 76 about 5 miles before with a tow bar. it was one of thoose like the rental trucks used to rent or whatever. You don't need to take off the bumper though, we didn't. We mounted the arms onto the bumper right where the frame rails are, laid the pads on top the bumper, put the chains on the frame and tighten it up with a huge crescent wrench as tight as we could. Then unlocked the steering wheel in the 76. We pulled it with a 2001 I think 2wd chevy truck, I think it was v6. My truck was a 1/2 ton 2wd with 350 and 3 speed, big 12 or 14 bolt rear end and 31's. We had no problems. The front tires slide on 2 sharp curves, thoose two curves were pulling out of the lot 90 degrees onto the road, and another 90 degree turn up the hill to my old house, on the main road, nothing, the front wheels turned right along with the truck towing it. Only problem you may have is the higher bumper, but maybe not. Go slow and possibly turn on the hazards on both or something. maybe check the local laws on towing also.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:36 PM   #4
benoit454
Chris

oh also on a side note, u-haul rents trailers for like 50 bucks for a day or 2.

had a guy rent one to bring me my monte from ohio to here, 50 bucks on friday night, brung it on on sat.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:54 PM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoit454 View Post
oh also on a side note, u-haul rents trailers for like 50 bucks for a day or 2.....
The problem with U-Haul is they won't rent a trailer unless you have a truck much bigger than what you are towing. I tried to rent one to tow my 82 C/K 2wd Blazer using a GMC Yukon XL.

They wouldn't rent it to me because the Yukon XL was to small. I asked how much freakin bigger can you get, it's Suburban towing Blazer. They didn't budge...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:02 PM   #6
Crank

Yea, well the only option I got right now is to somehow shoehorn this lifted blazer with 35's onto one of their tiny trailers and pull it with one of their trucks. would probably run me about 120. plus fuel. Was hoping to get it done a hair cheaper tho. But may not work. Thanks fellas. Anyone know the trackwidth of a 4wd '85? Thanks
Brandon
Old 10-29-2006, 09:03 PM   #7
Russell
Professional Grade

I've towed several vehicles with a tow bar, they work great!

Just make sure to get the type that physically bolts onto your truck. It should be the type where you have to pull two bumper bolts, bolt a pair of brackets on, then hook the tow bar to those brackets. You should also bolt safety chains to each frame rail incase one of the bolts holding the tow bar onto the truck fails.

Around here, tow bars that don't physically bolt onto the pulled vehicle are strictly illegal...

With regards to lights, you can get a set of magnetic lights for about 50 bucks or so that plug into your 4 pin trailer connector.

As far as the height goes, if it it bolted on, it shouldn't be a problem. Just want to make sure that the dog is wagging the tail, and not the other way around...

My stock 3/4 ton GMC barely fits onto most trailers width wise, aka, the pizza slicer tires I put on it rub between both fenderwells.

Last edited by Russell; 10-29-2006 at 09:04 PM.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:09 PM   #8
gmcman7202

my buddy pulled his 78 car hauler with no cab, just engine and flatbed, 100 miles, it was the worst night of his life.....
gmcman7202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 10:14 PM   #9
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

How far are you trying to tow it? Less than 5 miles? Cross country? I pulled my parts truck home chained to my truck, about 3 miles. I would think if you're only going a short distance that you could pull it with chains and an experienced buddy braking the both of you from the pulled vehicle. But I guess if you're going anywhere outside of town, chains aren't an effective tool.
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:41 PM   #10
magnethead
7000 #'s of american IRON

my dually fits on most car trailers (sans outside rears), so i don't see why a lifted truck wouldn't.
magnethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:52 AM   #11
Crank

Well it's just a problem with the lifted truck on wider than stock tires fitting on a uhaul trailer. Uhauls are tremendously narrower. And also, I imagine I could probably get it to fit, but I dont want to have to pay for a pair of their fenders or have a problem offloading the truck once I get it where it's goin. The trip will be one way about 160 miles if that makes any difference
Brandon
Old 10-30-2006, 01:11 PM   #12
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

You should be OK. Ever think about putting the blazer tires on your truck for the tow. That might cut down on the height difference some.

Like Russell stated, make sure the bar bolts to your frame or the bumber brackets. Use chains and go easy. Remember your speed and allow lots of room for stopping. I towed a LWB truck with a SWB truck around 130 miles with no problem.
Heck Longhorn man will tell you. He towed his longhorn with a K5 a good long ways.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!

Last edited by Palf70Step; 10-30-2006 at 01:13 PM.
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:14 PM   #13
Southedisto
River life......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
Well it's just a problem with the lifted truck on wider than stock tires fitting on a uhaul trailer. Uhauls are tremendously narrower. And also, I imagine I could probably get it to fit, but I dont want to have to pay for a pair of their fenders or have a problem offloading the truck once I get it where it's goin. The trip will be one way about 160 miles if that makes any difference
Brandon

The hobby shop has a trailer also.

I found this picture while looking around if you are worried about it fitting. You just need two narrow wheels for the front, and I know where two are.
Attached Images

Last edited by Southedisto; 10-30-2006 at 01:19 PM.
Southedisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:23 PM   #14
Crank

Oh yea? Well if I could score some narrow wheels for the front of the pig, I'd just go ahead and tow it with the uhaul trailer. My brakes on my shortie aint exactly the best anyway. Where'd you score that M1008, 1009?
Oh, Southedisto, I dont know why, but for some reason when you said you dealt with the upstairs stuff, I thought you meant in the schoolhouse, I dont think that's what you meant. What squadron are you with? I'd give you a couple bucks to borrow 2 skinny tires for a weekend. Thanks
I thought about the hobby shop trailer too, But it'd be like 20 bucks for the 12 hours rental, then I'd have to drag it to Durham, then get my truck back down here, that way if i just get a uhaul up there, I got a buddy that lives there that can drive me, I'll pick it up, on the trailer, then bring it back. It'll probably save me about 50 bucks in gas, plus a headache of 2 vehicles.
Brandon