The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2006, 05:43 PM   #1
Libby

Original wheel data needed

Hi,
I want to install original type steel wheels on my 72 C-10, no billets, no ralleys, just what GM sent her to the dealer with. Should they be 15 x 6? Do I need to use truck wheels or will passenger wheels look just as right?
There are dozens of 15" GM wheels at the junkyard, I want to find a nice set, sandblast and paint them, then put on original hub caps. I know it sounds nuts, but this is a very gennie looking truck.
Thanks for any advise on selecting the right GM wheels.
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 01:20 PM   #2
burb71

Re: Original wheel data needed

I like your way of thinking.
I have 2 project trucks, a 1968 Chevy CST 1/2 ton Golden Anniversary and a 1971 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban.
And I want them restored as factory original as can be done 30 + years after they were built.
As for the wheels I'm doing the same thing as you down to the wheel covers.
I think the GM cars and trucks used the same steel wheels in the 1971, 72 model years, I think cars wheels where painted black and the trucks are white I have heard that the factory put the 5 lug wheels on the trucks to use up a surplus of the car wheels.
But I think they used them to save on the retooling costs when in 1971 they put disc brakes on trucks, just use some of the same brake & wheel parts from the full size car line.
burb71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 02:21 PM   #3
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Smile Re: Original wheel data needed

GM car wheels are 5 0n 4 3/4 truck wheel's are 5 on 5 the will not work , they look the same but will not fit , I also like the stock thing I am working on a 1967 short fleetside pickup and am going all stock down to the hubcaps ,
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 08:54 PM   #4
burb71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19673ontree View Post
GM car wheels are 5 0n 4 3/4 truck wheel's are 5 on 5 the will not work , they look the same but will not fit , I also like the stock thing I am working on a 1967 short fleetside pickup and am going all stock down to the hubcaps ,
I dont know about the bolt patterns but I do know this, I have gotten used tires from the junk yard that are still mounted on the wheel out of the trunks of old GM cars and put them on my truck.
burb71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 09:23 PM   #5
Libby

Hi Guys and thanks for the info,
I go to the junkyard and they show me a rack of wheels and say "take your pick"!

My big question is how do I recognize actual truck wheels on the junkyard shelf with dozens of GM wheels and does it matter as long as they fit?

I want a set of original looking truck wheels, with the right back spacing, bolt spacing, width, etc, how will I know I've got the genuine article? I'll be investing in sandblasting, painting and new tires too and I don't want to learn later that I've got the wromng wheels.

Speaking of tires, I'm thinking white walls, I understand the original size was 678 x 15, what does that equate to in todays radials?

Thank you
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:03 AM   #6
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

tires are 225x75x15'' , to get truck wheels just take a measuring tape with you and find some that have the GM stamped in the center of the wheel then measure 5''s from center of one lug bolt hole to the other , car's are 4 3/4 ,
and if you want to be even better than that just take one of your front brake hubs off and take it with you then use it and fit the lugs into the wheels lug bolt holes to be sure , that way can't fail ,
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:48 PM   #7
67Cowboy
"GOD BLESS AMERICA !!!"

GM: Tire and Wheel Combination Charts

If some one would like to see the actual Tire and Wheel Combonation Charts send me your email address. I've tried several times to put the jpeg file on this thread but it keeps rejecting it for some reason. Anyway I got the restoration kit (book) from GM and I have all the Charts: Series C10, C10 Panel, Suburban Carryall; series K10, K10 Panel, Suburban Carryall; Series C20, C20 Panel, Suburban Carryall; Series K20, K20 Panel, Suburban Carryall; Series C30.
67Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote