The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2006, 10:43 AM   #1
bambam23

Help!

Hey everyone,
Turns out it's more than likely a blown head gasket, not a plug. I don't know anything about replacing one, this is the first truck I've had that I didn't take to the car dealership to get worked on. I am mechanical, so I can probably get it done, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks! If anyones in NC, don't be shy about coming to help!
bambam23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 03:42 PM   #2
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Re: Help!

First off - I would suggest that you give you're posts a more descriptive title than simply "help!". Maybe "help replacing head gasket". It helps to attract the right kind of attention...

As for the head gasket replacement, do a search on these forums, I'm sure there will be some good info already here. You could also go here http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/drivetrain/cylhead.htm for info. It talks about replacing the heads, but that's essentially what you're doing when you replace the gaskets.

As for doing the work yourself, I'd say go for it. As long as you have some time (I imagine it'll take longer than an afternoon), and some decent tools (i.e. torque wrenches, etc.).

You might aslo want to pick up a repair manual for your truck (Haynes or Chilton). They are by no means exhaustive, but they will give you an idea of what to do. An actual shop manual is the best, but...

Most of all - - Have fun!!!
Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:08 PM   #3
edman87
junk collector

Re: Help!

Yup, pick up a manual, mainly for the torque specs and sequences. After a few, you will have it memorized. Never know what else a manual could be good for- wiring diagrams etc.
If you are sure it is a blown head gasket and when you pull it you can see where it blew through and it was not over heated at all, you could just replace gasket.
If you have any doubt, send it to the machine shop to be magnafluxed, cleaned and checked thoroughly for cracks and warpage. You do not want to do the work and then realized the head is junk. Been here before trying to go cheap- it is worth the money to do it right. Shouldn't be a problem to take care of it for under $100.
'98 jeep tj
'52 willys cj3a
edman87 is offline   Reply With Quote