The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2006, 01:29 PM   #1
Olden Days
Living In The Past

what is Thermal coating?

Been looking for headers and run across some advertised as thermal coating. Is this a finish that still needs paint? will it get crappy looking after awhile? thanks
Olden Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:46 PM   #2
71chevylowrider

Re: what is Thermal coating?

I just posted a pic of my ceramic coated Hooker headers a second ago, had em on for years no discoloration at all, it's under hooker or hedman ?

Last edited by 71chevylowrider; 11-09-2006 at 02:37 PM.
71chevylowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:36 PM   #3
phlegm
Still Green but learning

I just wire brushed and sprayed a cheap set of headers that I bought used with VHT flame proof, I expect a bout a year per coat.
2010 Acura TL
98 Mastercraft "FrankenStar" 225
27253 UPS/USPS

IIOY....nope never was
phlegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 03:22 PM   #4
67Cowboy
"GOD BLESS AMERICA !!!"

It is a type of powdercoat, the way I understand it it is a ceramic material shot on the inside of headers to stop the rust from condensation and the biggest bonus is the fact that it doesn't absorb heat, so it can actually make your underhood temperatures go way down by 100 *F+ and with a coating like Edelbrock's Endurashine* the outside can look good for many many years, unlike the old Hookers we used in the 60's that rusted/ rotted through in about three or four years time. Back in the 70's Hot Rod magazine ran an article on a guy who Blued his headers (like a gun barrel) using a rose-bud tip on a torch and a squirt bottle with transfluid. I've used the method for over twenty years now on my Black-Smith work and it last quite a while.
Headman and Black-Jack were the first companies to offer the Aluma-coat headers in the early 80's I sold a lot of them at the parts store because they were some of the first ones to ever have a Guarantee. And If I buy new headers for my trucks I buy the thermal Coated because anything else is just throwing money away, IMO !
67Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:53 PM   #5
Olden Days
Living In The Past

That coating is on the inside? I was assuming it was an outside finish since in the discription of various headers in summit they list either ceramic ,painted or thermal coated as a finish.
Olden Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:00 PM   #6
67Cowboy
"GOD BLESS AMERICA !!!"

One of N.A.S.A. 's jobbers is HPC htp://www.hpcoatings.com/products/corrosion.aspx
You should be able to get all your questions answered there, many magazines run ads for companys that do this coating, I think I have seen a few in Engine Masters or Power and Performance News and maybe a few from Primedia or the Peterson Group (Classic Truck Mags) it has been around a long time but has really taken off with the powder coat craze and especially after they did the test in Australia and proved the capabilities.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf htempred.pdf (43.3 KB, 54 views)
File Type: pdf caterpillar.pdf (84.4 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by 67Cowboy; 11-09-2006 at 09:17 PM.
67Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote