The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2006, 11:59 AM   #1
atcavage

Let's talk A/C options

I love my C10 daily driver and intend to make it as nice as possible. No sense in driving a POS classic truck daily; might as well buy a Toyota. So I want to put in A/C. Here in Southern California, it isn't really necessary, but would be really nice.

What are my options for putting in A/C? I know the stock A/C C20 style is out of the question, but I thought I saw a factory A/C setup that just installed at the bottom of the dash panel. I may be crazy, but if I'm not, please post a pic.

Also, who makes decent aftermarket A/C's today, and how much can I pick one up new for? I want it to look nice and work well.

Also, if I do add A/C, how will it affect power and engine temp? Aside from shutting it off when going up big hills and when stuck in traffic, is there anything to worry about?

Thanks.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:01 PM   #2
Aarons72s

Re: Let's talk A/C options

Ok sense you dont want to put in a factory a/c set up, ie new inner and outer ai boxes and such that limits your options. The one that mounts under the dash does exist but is aftermarket. Usally a dealer or po installation. I have seen one I ripped out of a 68. We called it a knee knocker a/c. Because use loose quite a bit of leg room, especially on the passenger side. And you know leg room is already a premium in our trucks. Or you could go with a complete kit that replaces your factory heater boxes, inner and outer, but expect to pay 1000 bucks or more. Manufactures are old air, factory air and vintage air. I would reconsider just finding a stock a/c truck and get the inner and outer a/c boxes out of them. I converted my orange and white to a factory a/c. Not real hard. The only real concern would be your radiator. Everything else would be fine. If you have a 3 or 4 row radiator then you should be good. Hope this helps.
Aaron
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:06 PM   #3
CPNEJR

don't forget that if you were to go with factory A/C you will have to modify your cab if you don't already have an A/C cab
72 Chevy K20 Suburban (future project)
70 Chevy K20 now 68 GMC K2500
2003 Chevy 2500hd ccsb 4X4 (daily driver)
CPNEJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:50 PM   #4
atcavage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPNEJR View Post
don't forget that if you were to go with factory A/C you will have to modify your cab if you don't already have an A/C cab
That's what I want to avoid. First of all, the designers at GM made the interior look real ugly the way they did those vents, and secondly (since I don't even want to think about trying to install that) I wouldn't want to do that to my mechanic.

Quote:
We called it a knee knocker a/c. Because use loose quite a bit of leg room, especially on the passenger side. And you know leg room is already a premium in our trucks. Or you could go with a complete kit that replaces your factory heater boxes, inner and outer, but expect to pay 1000 bucks or more. Manufactures are old air, factory air and vintage air.
It sounds expensive, but seems like the easist way to go. Would this affect the heater/defroster at all?
Old 11-12-2006, 11:10 PM   #5
Aarons72s

Quote:
Originally Posted by atcavage View Post
It sounds expensive, but seems like the easist way to go. Would this affect the heater/defroster at all?
What a complete aftermarket a/c or complete aftermarket a/c with heat.
I think the aftermarket does offer a standalone a/c system that wouldnt affect your defroster. Or if you just get the aftermarket a/c with heat it would replace everything except the actual vents in the upper part of the dash. Like I said you may want to contact vintage air, old air products and factory air and tell them what you would like to acomplish and they maybe able to help you.
Aaron
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:04 AM   #6
Slammed70

Hit up Vintage Air....these are the best systems Ive ever seen. My dad put one in his (Gasp*) 56 Ford, and another dude from our car club put one in his 56 Chevy. They're do away with the AC/Heater box so it gives the firewal that "smooth" look. Just a small part that jutts out so you can hook up the bulkheads for the AC.

But bewarned.....they will run you. My dad shelled out $1200 for his system if I remember right.

http://www.vintageair.com/download/pdf_singles/47.pdf
Slammed70 is offline   Reply With Quote