The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
kdevore2

Is this power steering original???

My 66 has power steering but it looks like a conversion of some sort maybe. It uses a hydraulic ram located where a steering stabilizer would go and a control valve connected somehow between the pitman arm and the draglink. Hoses go from the PS pump to the valve and from the valve to the ram. Is this original or a conversion? If it is a conversion, what is it???
kdevore2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 11:40 AM   #2
mbgmike

Re: Is this power steering original???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdevore2 View Post
My 66 has power steering but it looks like a conversion of some sort maybe. It uses a hydraulic ram located where a steering stabilizer would go and a control valve connected somehow between the pitman arm and the draglink. Hoses go from the PS pump to the valve and from the valve to the ram. Is this original or a conversion? If it is a conversion, what is it???
Sounds original. most older ps used the hydraulic cylinder.One hint of advice. If you work on one do not keep your arms or hands inside the steering wheel when you start it up. if the prop valve is a little off it will spin the wheel faster than you can say &%$#.

Mike
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 05:04 PM   #3
kdevore2

Thanks for the info and advice mbgmike.
kdevore2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:56 PM   #4
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
Sounds original. most older ps used the hydraulic cylinder.One hint of advice. If you work on one do not keep your arms or hands inside the steering wheel when you start it up. if the prop valve is a little off it will spin the wheel faster than you can say &%$#.

Mike
Yeap BEEN THERE !!!!!!!!!

I installed new lines on my 64 Impala years ago...the two small lines were backwards....When I started the engine, as soon as pressure built up the steering wheel rocked violently side to side......Luckly my hands were no where near the wheel....

John

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:12 PM   #5
Hilandr451

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdevore2 View Post
My 66 has power steering but it looks like a conversion of some sort maybe. Is this original or a conversion? If it is a conversion, what is it???
That is a rare bird right there. It's what's known as "power assisted" steering. It was an option in all GM trucks from 1961 to 1967 I believe. Although rather rare in the light duty Chevy trucks and a little more common in GMC's it was pretty much standard equipment in all C60 & C80 series trucks. I used to drive a 1968 Dodge 1-1/2 ton tow truck and it had the exact same setup.

Even though it is rather rare, I'm tearing mine out in lieu of a hydraulic steering box setup from that later models. I once sold one I pilphered out of an old GMC to a guy for $200.00 with out the pump so my original should bring a few duckets at the "post restoration" swapmeet.
Highlander's web site: www.6066ChevyTrucks.com
Hilandr451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 12:24 AM   #6
Americanrider

Dang, I asked $40 for one unit and $60 for another I sold. Guess I'd better re-consider my prices. Here is a Power ram setup from a 66.
Attached Images

Americanrider is offline   Reply With Quote