The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2006, 07:42 PM   #1
kna4977

New Glass?

I am thinking about replacing the glass in my 72 K/5. The windshield, door glass, and vent windows are all available. However, the top glass is not. I went to a local auto glass facility, and they told me that the glass could not be cut for the top as it is tempered, and that the top flexes since it is fiberglass so they would have to find NOS glass. Is this true?

Also, how much should it cost to replace the glass?

Any leads on where I can get new glass?

thanks

Last edited by kna4977; 11-11-2006 at 07:42 PM.
kna4977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:16 PM   #2
69TowRig

Re: New Glass?

I'm very interested in the outcome of this thread. I had always assumed that when the time came I could get dark tinted glass cut for my top and be done with it. My glass is horribly scratched up on all three sides and needs to be replaced either way.
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:42 PM   #3
kna4977

Would tinting the current glass be of any benefit?
Old 11-12-2006, 08:25 AM   #4
vtblazer

Thinking tempered glass can be cut, sure he wasn't referring to safety glass?

As far as the side glass flexing, I doubt it.

Even though the hard tops are predominately made of fiberglass, there's alot of metal reinforcing in them.

I'd find another glass shop and get a 2nd opinon, those guys didn't want your business from the sound of it.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:45 PM   #5
13lazer
13lazers' blazers

i needed a windshield for a manx buggy, it was flat glass. i got tempered glass cut for it by traceing the exAct dimension i needed on a piece of cardboard. i told the glass shop it was for a coffee table. there are laws that make the glaziers liable if they knowingly sell non d.o.t. approved glass in a motor vehicle aplication. lie to them so they aren't liable and they will sell it to you. or you can pay several hundreds of $'s to get d.o.t. glass installed

1970 2wd blazer
1972 1ton blazer 4x4 in progress
1966 mustang coupe (modified)
1985 c20 suburban tow rig
1996 462 ranger with a 150 efi merc. a former B.A.S.S. tournament boat
almost all exempt from california smog laws intentionally.
13lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:04 AM   #6
Lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13lazer View Post
i needed a windshield for a manx buggy, it was flat glass. i got tempered glass cut for it by traceing the exAct dimension i needed on a piece of cardboard. i told the glass shop it was for a coffee table. there are laws that make the glaziers liable if they knowingly sell non d.o.t. approved glass in a motor vehicle aplication. lie to them so they aren't liable and they will sell it to you. or you can pay several hundreds of $'s to get d.o.t. glass installed
13lazer, IF you don't have a 'safety glass' winshield, then, GO GET ONE MADE. ALL winshields should be 'safety glass' to be DOT approved, so you don't end up with a face full of glass if a rock hits it !!!!!!

I think some of you are confused with the 'Names' of the glass you are working with, or trying to find out about.

Safety glass can be cut, or sandblasted off, to alter it's size. 'Curved' safety glass (like winshields) is a challenge though.

'Tempered' glass can NOT be cut, or changed at all. Once it's been tempered, thats it, you CANNOT alter it.

Any good glass shop should be able to give you the advise you seek.
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:10 AM   #7
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny View Post
13lazer, IF you don't have a 'safety glass' winshield, then, GO GET ONE MADE. ALL winshields should be 'safety glass' to be DOT approved, so you don't end up with a face full of glass if a rock hits it !!!!!!

I think some of you are confused with the 'Names' of the glass you are working with, or trying to find out about.

Safety glass can be cut, or sandblasted off, to alter it's size. 'Curved' safety glass (like winshields) is a challenge though.

'Tempered' glass can NOT be cut, or changed at all. Once it's been tempered, thats it, you CANNOT alter it.

Any good glass shop should be able to give you the advise you seek.

Good info, thanks.

So it's 'tempered' glass that shatter's into a million peices?
And it's 'safety' glass that is the laminate?

Last edited by vtblazer; 11-16-2006 at 06:15 AM.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:18 AM   #8
kna4977

So I need to ask for safety glass for the side windows?
Old 11-16-2006, 11:31 AM   #9
krue
Designated A-hole!

Here's another idea. If you use tempered glass, then use a laminate type tint on it, it will behave like safety glass if shattered. I threw a rock into my driver door glass on my s-10 and while it shattered into a million pieces the tint kept it in one piece long enough to remove the window. Just a thought.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:13 PM   #10
69TowRig

Hmm, looks like some research is in order. For some reason I thought safety glass was tempered?

*edit* Okay, I did some reading. I get it now. "Safety Glass" has the laminate in it and can be made from tempered glass I guess.

If I don't find something local when the time comes for mine I will probably give these guys a call, they handle a lot of custom glass and can do tinted glass:

http://www.sandersreproglass.com/
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...

Last edited by 69TowRig; 11-16-2006 at 12:22 PM.
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:42 PM   #11
kna4977

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69TowRig View Post
Hmm, looks like some research is in order. For some reason I thought safety glass was tempered?

*edit* Okay, I did some reading. I get it now. "Safety Glass" has the laminate in it and can be made from tempered glass I guess.

If I don't find something local when the time comes for mine I will probably give these guys a call, they handle a lot of custom glass and can do tinted glass:

http://www.sandersreproglass.com/
I checked out there inventory and there truck glass only goes to 1963
Old 11-16-2006, 01:44 PM   #12
VinceY
Just need a couple more parts.

I have a buddy with a 46 pontiac that needed new glass.
He had it made out of Lexan. He told me that Lexan appearently breaks into a bunch of small pieces, just like safety glass, so it is approved for road use. I think it is lighter and more durable which would be good for the top.
Check your local regulations first as I am just going on hearsay.
I bought used glass from a board memeber to replace windows in my top.
1958 Shasta Airflyte Travel trailer (fresh restoration)
1971 C/10 Pickup(Frame off Restoration)
1972 K5 Blazer CST (Daily Driver & My Company Truck)
1976 Honda CB750 Bobber
1988 Jaguar XJ12
VinceY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:06 AM   #13
Chris27
Blazerless

I had a local auto glass shop make me a side window for my 72 k5 top. It was broken when I bought the truck. I have no idea what kind of glass they used, but I assume because they are an auto glass shop they did it right. I hope. Judging how my stock window was broken it was not safety glass. Looked more like a shattered windshield. Lexan is an option, but it scratches easy and most glass cleaners will make it cloudy.
Chris27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:18 AM   #14
kna4977

Good info! Anyone got any tips on who I should hire to do mine in my area? Zipcode 27012. thanks
Old 11-17-2006, 11:52 AM   #15
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Ive got info at home that I picked up from an outfit that was at the June Goodguys show in Pleasanton Calif. All he does is flat glass for classics. He does both tinted and clear and will ship. Hes going to do the glass in my top. I dont have the info here at work but Ill post it when I get home tonight if your interested..
Tom
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:18 PM   #16
kna4977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
Ive got info at home that I picked up from an outfit that was at the June Goodguys show in Pleasanton Calif. All he does is flat glass for classics. He does both tinted and clear and will ship. Hes going to do the glass in my top. I dont have the info here at work but Ill post it when I get home tonight if your interested..

Tom

I can't wait for the post.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:36 AM   #17
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Talking Re: New Glass?

Whew...Its 10:30PST finally got to the computer.
The web address is: www.ClassicFlatGlass.com
He doesnt have the Bazer listed, but he said any flat glass is no problem. I saw his work and it is very nice.

Last edited by Tom Vogel; 11-18-2006 at 02:44 AM.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote