The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2006, 07:56 PM   #1
Broken_down?

Lights issues

Heres the deal,

So tweaker lady smashed into our taurus. And to top it she had no insurance and lied to the police about having it. I had uninsured motorist coverage so all is fine. Wife has serious neck issues right now but she is doing ok. They towed the car away today. But on the hind side of that ordeal I get to drive my baby again! Woohoo! But this is not how I wanted to start driving here again. Anyway on to my question.

Long time ago I noticed my blinkers and hazzards where working most of the time. So I climbed under the truck and it looked like a mouse/rat had chewed through the wires. So I rewired them back again. This is the set of wires that plug in behind the end of the bed in the frame rail right side. right before I parked her about 6 months ago I had picked up a new set of wires for under the steering column. Did not help. While under I noticed the half moom connector was melted with an actual small hole in it. I have not replaced it yet as I would likely have to buy a wireing harness. As of right now I have Head lights, Reverse Lights, High beams all lights in dash, cab light. The blinkers seem to have no power at all. When you try to turn it on nothing happens, same with hazzards. Checked and replaced fuses on all just in case. See attached for the melted connector image.

What could cause this? To much voltage? Also is there any harm in bypassing that connector and wiring direct? I know it is for the ability to channge the wiring and I do hope to buy a harness for the entire truck in a few months. But for the time being my arm is getting cold and wet using hand signals in the rain.

Thanks

Rich
Attached Images

WHY DO THEY CALL THEM JUNKYARDS ANYWAY??? I LIKE TO THINK OF IT AS A TREASURE HUNTING MISSION
Broken_down? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 12:43 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Lights issues

I would say that the wire connectors that are at the location of the burned spot were not making good contact and created enough heat to melt the connector.
I would disconnect it and check to see that the wire ends inside the connector are not melted or corroded. Maybe you can spray some electrical contact cleaner into each side of the connector (wear safety glasses), and see if that makes a difference That connector is for the turn signals so that is probably where your problem is. I guess if you had one wire that wasn't making contact you could put a jumper wire on it temporarily.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 07:51 AM   #3
Sweet72

I have bypassed that connector with jumper wires for the effected circuits. Temp. fix...If you can't get it apart, since it's melted, just cut one wire at a time and splice them together, eliminating the connector altogether. Get a new harness when it's convenient. That section of harness is notorious for melting like that due to a short causing higher current than the wires can handle and heating up. There must be an unfused circuit in there.
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 06:53 PM   #4
Broken_down?

Ok I am have hit a stump here.

from the half moon connector, Each color wire connects to which component?

Here is the issue that I found just a few minutes ago.
I unplugged the moon connector and back in again and now the hazzards come on when the right blinker is on. I put a small test light up to the purple wire and with the blinker set to middel (off) the test light stays on. With it set to left blinker the light stays on. The hazzard switch does not turn the hazzards off/on. I never did get the blinkers to come on. Would it make any difference if I just took the connectors completely out of the equation and connect them directly to each other?

Rich
WHY DO THEY CALL THEM JUNKYARDS ANYWAY??? I LIKE TO THINK OF IT AS A TREASURE HUNTING MISSION
Old 11-18-2006, 07:07 PM   #5
krue
Designated A-hole!

Check the FAQ index page, there're links to wiring diagrams that should help.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 07:15 PM   #6
centsless
sufficiently talented fool

The melted connector is from a bad connection causing excessive resistance. Hooking the wires directly to each other is perfectly acceptable. The only issue will be if you replace the switch, you will have to cut the plug off the new part to wire it direct as well.
Bob
1981 Corvette
1966 Impala Convertible
Click here to support the board
centsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 08:15 PM   #7
Broken_down?

sweet I got brake lights again. Except my turn signals still have no power? Relay? Or possible column switch issues?

Thanks

Rich
Old 11-18-2006, 09:52 PM   #8
wibilly

check the flasher unit for turn sigs
Old 11-18-2006, 11:56 PM   #9
Broken_down?

Will do! Thanks for the help fellers!