The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2006, 03:54 PM   #1
Kenneth_CS87

Fluidyne Radiator

Do you guys know if this will work with my LT1 Swap? It was made for a LS1.
Demension: 28x16x4 Dual Pass 4 Row, -20 AN fitting upper outlet, 1 3/4 lower outlet with a 10 degree bend inwards.

Kenneth_CS87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
JRB

Re: Fluidyne Radiator

How much did that set you back? $$$$$

JRB
JRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:56 PM   #3
shifty
Questionable

Any of the universal radiators they sell at Summit for $200 will work (I can get part #'s if you need em). There is a replacement for our truck, but, honestly...are you building up for huge freaking power or something? A 3-core stock radiator will provide just as much cooling as a 2-core aluminum which comes stock in most newer GenIII powered cars. Big difference being the 3-core is a direct boltup to our trucks, whereas you the chances are 90% or greater that you'll need special brackets up top to get the radiator you're looking at to fit (and a rad cover to make it not look like crap).

I'm just curious.

I went through this whole BS of trying to find a radiator recently. Here is the whole story with part numbers, you might find it helpful: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589438

Seriously, everyone kept telling me "dude, you gotta go aluminum, get one from this car or that car". It's all BS. Other people doing the same swap for 4.8-6.0L engines are using stock 3-core radiators and have been with little or no problems, and even with buildups upwards of 450HP in an LS1.

GM hasn't changed their radiator inlet/outlet locations in the last 30 years or more. The only difference between LT1 and LS1 is the way the water pump flows, as I understand it.

The only other piece of advice I can give is "take everything anyone tells you with a grain of salt" and "don't be a perfectionist and spend oodles of cash to be all big and badass, it's not worth it".

I have wasted/lost about $500 on my swap from listening to other people when I should have listened to common sense. Take what I say with a grain of salt - but listen to the people who have actually done the swap.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 11-06-2006 at 04:58 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 05:02 PM   #4
shifty
Questionable

PS - I don't know if the LS1 and LT1 are the same, but with the LS1 there is a special way you are supposed to fill the engine with coolant the first time.

On the LS1, you start filling using the top hose (pour directly into the water pump). Once you see fluid appear in the hose, attach it to the radiator and fill the rest of the way up through the radiator cap. As I understand it, if you don't do things this way, the thermostat will be closed when you fire up the engine and coolant won't get into the engine till it opens and pulls water in, but I don't even think you want to run it that long.

LT1 may be the same deal. Only, with the water pump being reverse flow, you may need to fill the other way? Not sure about that. Something for you to look into and think about.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:06 PM   #5
b&a72

What is the part # for the one from summit that fits our trucks. And did you have to do any modifying?
b&a72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 05:11 PM   #6
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by b&a72 View Post
What is the part # for the one from summit that fits our trucks. And did you have to do any modifying?
Please read my entire post, plus the entire post I linked up to LS1tech.

I don't want to re-type everything I already typed in both of them.

I think the quest to get aluminum radiators is a waste of time and money, and it is absolutely not necessary to use aluminum. Just go stock radiator, with copper/brass radiator (3-core), and be happy. Aluminum is a waste of money unless you're doing a 600+ horsepower buildup, which very few of us are.

(And understand that the aluminum radiators fit like complete crap unless you buy a $700 one ... and even then they fit like crap!!)

(PS - I purchased both the Summit and Griffin radiators...both sat about 1.5" above the radiator support. In fact, out of all 5 radiators I bought, the fit was about the same. This might be cool with you, but it looks like ass!!)

Last edited by shifty; 11-06-2006 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:02 PM   #7
Kenneth_CS87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRB View Post
How much did that set you back? $$$$$

JRB
I got the Rad from a friend for $250.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:14 AM   #8
shifty
Questionable

I almost forgot about the biggest benefit of using a stock radiator

EVERYTHING BOLTS UP TO IT. there's already a ton of support for add-ons. Don't get that with Aluminum. Check out this fan mounting shroud I got from GMCPauls.com today:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...3&postcount=15

Fits like a GLOVE No hassles. Three pilot holes and a 6 self-tappes and it is in. Fits several aftermarket fans.

(There should be a link in there near the top left to view the original thread)

Last edited by shifty; 11-07-2006 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:22 AM   #9
Kenneth_CS87

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
I almost forgot about the biggest benefit of using a stock radiator

EVERYTHING BOLTS UP TO IT. there's already a ton of support for add-ons. Don't get that with Aluminum. Check out this fan mounting shroud I got from GMCPauls.com today:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...3&postcount=15

Fits like a GLOVE No hassles. Three pilot holes and a 6 self-tappes and it is in. Fits several aftermarket fans.

(There should be a link in there near the top left to view the original thread)

Thank man you been a big help. I guess im going to stick with my original rad that came out of my Truck.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:23 AM   #10
shifty
Questionable

One thing - prolly want to take it to radiator shop and have it flushed/cleaned before hooking it up to your LT1.

Just curious - any reason you went LT1 and not LS1?

Old 11-07-2006, 12:26 AM   #11
Kenneth_CS87

Quote:
One thing - prolly want to take it to radiator shop and have it flushed/cleaned before hooking it up to your LT1.

Just curious - any reason you went LT1 and not LS1?

Got a free 94 z28.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:56 AM   #12
shifty
Questionable

Nice!

Can I offer some advice?

I did a lot of learning on these things before making my choice. While you have that LT1 out, do all the maintenance to fix common water leaks, like the one that would drip moisture into the distributor. If I hunted down the bookmark I have to all this information on 'things to work on', would it be of interest to you? The LT1 is a great platform, but has several known problems which are easy/inexpensive to fix if the engine is removed from the vehicle.

Old 11-07-2006, 02:04 AM   #13
Kenneth_CS87

Quote:
Nice!

Can I offer some advice?

I did a lot of learning on these things before making my choice. While you have that LT1 out, do all the maintenance to fix common water leaks, like the one that would drip moisture into the distributor. If I hunted down the bookmark I have to all this information on 'things to work on', would it be of interest to you? The LT1 is a great platform, but has several known problems which are easy/inexpensive to fix if the engine is removed from the vehicle.

I really appreciate the help. Any advice would help me out alot.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:20 PM   #14
Hart_Rod

I would replace all of the front seals and the intake manifold gaskets while you're at it.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:52 PM   #15
shifty
Questionable

Sorry, I haven't forgotten about you. I just haven't found that page I was talking about.

Meanwhile, I saved this link, so I thought I would post it for you too.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=52057

This will hopefully help some, since others here have done this swap.

Old 11-19-2006, 07:22 PM   #16
shifty
Questionable

Ok, so I did find the thread - finally(!)

Check this out:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...6&postcount=46

That gives a lot of info on the known achilles heels of the LT1.