The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2002, 02:37 PM   #1
PHOENIX

A.I.R. System (Smog)

I really really really hate my exhuast manifolds, because they have those stupid tubes for the A.I.R. system. Has anyone removed these manifold and replaced them with non-A.I.R. headers, and if so did you still pass emission without problems?

We have dyno and visual inspections here, so I dont know if I will have a problem if I remove the pump and manifolds.

The reason I ask this is because the little tubes are getting so old that they are coming out of the manifold and making an exhuast leak sound. Instead of fixing this problem I would rather buy headers. But I cant afford the A.I.R. system headers right now (Edelbrock headers like Swervins).

How much do these little tubes and A.I.R. system really help as far as sniffer test goes, anyone know?

Also if I did buy non-A.I.R. system headers I would probly buy some that come jet-hot coated already, like the Dyno-Max headers in the Jegs catalog. Are these headers any good?

Does Edelbrock make a header (non-A.I.R.) that comes coated already?

Any and all responces are welcome. Thanks.

PS when I decide to do the headers it will be an all new exhuast system. Headers to Y-Pipe 3" pipes into cat into muffler, and split 2-1/2" pipe behind each rear tire (kinda like stock).

Old 11-01-2002, 03:04 PM   #2
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Eddie,

I can't say for everyone else, because each state is different but, I know where I live, it would be turned down flat out. They are a real stickler about this stuff here. This is why I have Edelbrock TES headers on my truck. I believe this question would be better answered by someone who lives where you do and has tried it.

What am I answering for?

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 06:11 PM   #3
Tom
driving is in my blood

Ed,
You will NOT pass without the AIR system. Try like my friend did, go buy some cheapie headers from checker, and have a machine shop weld new bungs in to hook up the air system. It isent the prettiest looking pair of headers, but they work.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 06:30 PM   #4
PHOENIX

But I want them coated.
Ohh well I guess I really need to start saving up the cash and sell the stash.

Stash:
700r4 (needs rebuild)
sm465 (needs rebuild)

Anyone tell me what those are worth?
As far as I know the 700r4 just needs a new front pump.
The sm465 is the original tranny from my '83 C10. So it probly needs a good rebuild.
Old 11-01-2002, 09:05 PM   #5
neonlarry

I think hooker makes some that work with the AIR too, I don't know if they are any cheaper than the edelbrocks though. (about $450)
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 10:50 PM   #6
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

yeah you'll need the air pump setup..

what really sucks is that not only will you have to buy the more expensive headers, but you'll have to buy new AIR manifolds too for the new headers which are fairly pricey... Doug Thorley headers has a *****in set of air-injection headers, and thorleys are some of the best headers you can buy. Thats what I run on my truck... if you dont have inspection for a while, you can just buy the legal headers and plug them with pipe plugs until you have the cash to complete the setup, or until you have to get smogged. thats also what I do anyways good luck

mike
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote