The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2006, 06:51 PM   #1
JTK20

Engine swap question

I have a nice 350 from my old 78 Camaro that I'm thinking about using in my 85 K20, but my uncle (he's been a mechanic his entire life) said that the engine mounts are different between the Camaro and the truck and that the engine won't fit (and also because my Camaro was a manual and the truck is an automatic). I thought the mounts for 350's are all the same and the engines can be swapped into any vehicle. Can I put this engine straight into my truck without any issues?
JTK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 07:30 PM   #2
beaterC10

Re: Engine swap question

The only issues I see are the differing locations on the dipsticks. The exhaust manifolds do not interchange between the different dip stick locations. The other issue might be in the exhaust manifold bolt pattern. There are two bolt spacings on the rear of the head for the manifolds, some heads are drilled with both, some aren't. Headers are the easiest way to get around any manifold issues. I have a 73 vintage 350 that has been in an 83, 84, and currently an 86, so I know the older engine can be installed.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 08:36 PM   #3
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Take the engine mounts from the old truck motor and mount them onto the motor from the camaro. As stated above, the only issues would be the dipstick and the exhaust bolt patterns. Agree on the header idea, as a n improvement and ease for install. I also have an older motor in my 84 and it fits fine. Make sure that you have all of the bolt holes in the front ends of the heads that you need for the accessories, you should have no problem, but check anyways.

Last edited by piecesparts; 11-24-2006 at 08:37 PM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:21 PM   #4
JTK20

The dipstick and exhaust manifolds issue I'm not really worried about because I'd use headers anyway, so that's taken care of. I figured you should just be able to swap the mounts from one engine to another, but my uncle keeps insisting that I can't put this engine into my truck. I'm not sure why he keeps saying that.

Apparently (and this is coming from my dad so it has to be taken with a HUGE grain of salt) he also says that since my Camaro was a manual that it doesn't have all the hook ups for an auto (whatever that means), so it won't work in the truck. I'm guessing part of what he's talking about is the lack of a kick down cable with the manual, but I don't see how that ruins everything. Personally, I think they (or at least my dad) are just trying to kill my project ideas (my dad LOVES to do that for some weird reason).
Old 11-24-2006, 10:13 PM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

All I can say is WOW!!!. The items to be changed to put the "Manual tranny motor into the truck would BE: Take the flywheel off of the Camaro motor and install a flexpate for the auto transmission. Chevrolet used two different sizes of flex plates, so you will have to decide which one you want to fit the starter that you want to use. Also the flexplates were different on motors (depending on if they were "Internally balanced" or "Externally balanced". That will depend on what the Camaro motor is. The connection of the kick down will require a carb that is set up for that function. I do not know what you are running for carbs, but the one that was on your truck would already be set up for that. The intake manifolds will come into light for this, if you are running an aftermarket carb on the old truck motor, but the Camaro is STILL the original intake, then you willl have to make sure you make a fitment for the a possible "Spread-bore" carb design. That along with the motor mount brackets should be your only issues. This is really simple stuff for this change out. If you want to do this, it takes only a short amount of time to do it, once you have started.

Last edited by piecesparts; 11-25-2006 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:11 AM   #6
JTK20

Thanks pieces. I figured I was being fed some bad information.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:15 PM   #7
72C203503ONTHETREE

The only external balance small block is the 400. The turbo 350 is the only one that uses a kickdown cable, the turbo 400 trans uses an electrical switch and solenoid. The Camaro 350 will have a 2 bolt main while the truck had a four bolt main, possibly a forged steel crank. Just swap over the parts from your small block to use in the truck-flexplate, starter, mounts, etc..

09 Challanger RT six speed in all black.

74 Datsun 710 wagon, all 1.8 liters of screaming Datsun power.

73 C10 long bed, 350/350 combo, nice shape.
72C203503ONTHETREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:29 PM   #8
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

IF the motor is truly an older motor and NOT a late model GM motor then the discussion of the external balancer is right (400 SB were the only ones for may years) Some of the later (89 and up) GM motors have the balancing weights on the flexplates. The Vette motor in my garage is a good example, as well as the motor in my 91 silverado. The 350 uses a kickdown cable and the 700R4 uses a TV cable, which looks the same.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:19 AM   #9
JTK20

The engine is actually a crate engine (has about 40,000 miles on it) and it's the pre-85 block. The engine in the truck now has about 20,000 miles on the rebuild, but it's a new engine and has all kinds of oxygen sensors and other emissions garbage on it, which is one of the reasons I want to switch (plus my Camaro engine is built up more). I don't think I'll have any trouble with the swap. Thanks for your help everybody!