The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2006, 07:16 PM   #1
Dean

Short A/C compressor on a big block

Ok, does anyone have the short A/C compressor on a big block? I'm trying to figure out some brackets to attach the 1985 compressor on my 572. It was originally the compressore on a 350. Love to see some pics.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:34 AM   #2
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Re: Short A/C compressor on a big block

I have it on a smallblock, so I can't help you there. The short compressor you are referring to is a radial compressor called the R4. That info should help you when you are looking around for brackets.

Slonaker
Old 11-19-2006, 04:09 PM   #3
shortbed454

If you change over to a factory serpentine system on that motor, you can use the r4 compressor. thats what i have on my 454. i just picked up a serpentine system off of a 91 454.
shortbed454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 04:22 PM   #4
SanitysBane

The problem is that he has a talldeck block and not a regular block like on the 454.
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

I went the route of using 1996 – 2000 L29 454 brackets and accessories. I preferred later model cast iron brackets and much more reliable A4 A/C compressor than the R4 compressor used on the earlier serpentine setups. I believe these brackets may fit a tall block as well.
Attached Images

DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:47 PM   #6
qksilver

Not sure but on tall deck truck motors 366/427 the brackets were the same just longer belts
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 08:15 PM   #7
Dean

It isn't a tall deck. At least from what I see so far with it. It is a brand new crate 572 and everything fit the same as the 454 that was in the truck originally. The compressor is the R4 but this body was originally a 350 small block. I'm not having any luck on brackets. I guess i'm going to have to fabricate something. Any pics of a R4 compressor on a big block would be great.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:29 PM   #8
DirtyLarry

Dean,

What exactly is this 572? Is it the true GM Performance Parts high dollar crate engine or some extremely bored and whored 454 that someone peddles as a 572-crate engine? The true GM Performance Parts ZZ572 comes with a short neck water pump and is based on the GEN VI BB architecture. If this is a true GMPP ZZ572 you are working with and you are putting this in a 73-87 I would seriously consider changing the water pump to a long neck water pump and go with the L29 brackets with an A4 compressor that are designed for GEN V and later big blocks like I did.

Out of curiosity, why are you hung up on the R4 A/C compressor? The R4 is probably the worst A/C compressor that GM ever used. They are noisy, known for front seal leaks, vibrate like crazy, don’t take to R134 refrigerant well, etc…pretty much all around suck in my opinion. The only good thing about the R4 is replacement compressors are a tad over $100. You get what you pay for I guess.

Also, the 1985 style R4 will be V-Belt driven vs. serpentine. If you shelled out that much money for a crate 572 why would you use a 20-year-old A/C compressor technology with V-belts?

I have all the part numbers for the L29 serpentine belt brackets if you are interested. Don’t forget if you go with serpentine belts you will need a reverse rotation water pump too.

Here is the accessory bracket view of the L29 before the engine install.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2006, 03:17 PM   #9
grinch4om
dang its hot

I have an 84 I stuck a 454 in, the 305 compressor is mounted with some original and some off a suburban and a straight bracket from a 68 GTO. The last one could be fabbed easily, I used it cause I had it. If you'd like pics, let me know
grinch4om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 04:39 PM   #10
Dean

I'd love to see pics of that grinch.

The only reason I'm using this R4 short compressor is it was all just replaced on the 350. New compressor, hoses, evaporator, R134 and more. Worked great on it so I figure I'll run it till it quits for some reason.

The 572 is a brand new GM performance parts crate engine. I do have a long water pump on it already. And I know it would be nice to go to the serpentine belt. That may come later.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:17 AM   #11
Zoomad75
K5Camper

From the GM performance website:

Quote:
We took the ultra-popular ZZ572/620 pump gas street engine added 12:1 compression pistons, a hotter camshaft, and our rectangular-port aluminum Bowtie heads with stiffer valve springs to work with the new cam. The block is the Gen VI tall-deck Bowtie block which was designed for the 572" application.
I'd take a look at the GMPP catalog. They have a kit set up for serpentine that would probably be the best to shoot for.

Quote:
Deluxe Serpentine Accessory
Belt Drive System
Includes all accessory items to
drive the a/c compressor, alternator,
water pump and power steering
pump. Includes pulleys, belts,
brackets and fasteners.
Look at it this way, you might spend some money trying to adapt the r4 and v-belts to this tall deck block. Money that could have been put right to going with the serpentine. yea, you would have to do lines again, but you could save money by robbing the hose ends at the compressor from a L29 (or another engine that used the same compressor). take the your old hoses and get a local shop to make up new lines with your old fittings and the new ones.

A mulitple v-belt set might not stay put long if you use the 572 for its intended purpose. Any failure to keep the belts lined up will cause them to jump. Ask DrityLarry about the alternator belt on is 68 GMC with a big block and v-belts. That beast chucks them at will with use of the skinny pedal. (stock big block brackets too)
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 02:35 AM   #12
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I'd love to see pics of that grinch.

The only reason I'm using this R4 short compressor is it was all just replaced on the 350. New compressor, hoses, evaporator, R134 and more. Worked great on it so I figure I'll run it till it quits for some reason.

The 572 is a brand new GM perforGood luck with that Dean. Not to belittle your project in anyway, (maybe because I do not fully understand your project) but it appears you have no experience with A/C systems or late model BB engines and accessories.

The MSRP on a true GMPP 572 is close to $10,000!!! and what it appears like…you are basing the accessories around a $100 R4 Vatozone A/C compressor. I am
trying my hardest to figure out where that makes any sense in my mind….to no avail.
mance parts crate engine. I do have a long water pump on it already. And I know it would be nice to go to the serpentine belt. That may come later.
Good luck with that Dean. Not to belittle your project in anyway, (maybe because I do not fully understand your project) but it appears you have no experience with A/C systems or late model BB engines and accessories.

The MSRP on a true GMPP 572 is close to $10,000!!! and what it appears like…you are basing the accessories around a $100 R4 Vatozone A/C compressor. I am
trying my hardest to figure out where that makes any sense in my mind….to no avail.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:32 PM   #13
grinch4om
dang its hot

ok,I'll get some pics this week
grinch4om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:10 AM   #14
grinch4om
dang its hot

I haven't forgotten, been sick