The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2006, 09:52 PM   #1
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

another question,,maybe stupid but here goes

ok i been reading about the stolen trucks on here..man sorry to hear about them..now im worried about mine..anyway i used to have a baja bug that had a button you had to push before it would start..the key had to be on,,but it would not start with out pushing the button...cant something like that be done to our trucks...i have have never had one stolen,,and dont want to start with this one...with this switch or button wired in,,it shouldnt start even if they try to hot wire it...and put the butoon or switch somewhere it cant be seen,,man my ol vw was a pain in the but to reach,,but any thief would never have found it...also im not worried about stock restore..any ideas on this..
thanks
billy
Old 12-01-2006, 10:33 PM   #2
clay68c10

Re: another question,,maybe stupid but here goes

Sounds like a good idea, mine has a hidden starter lockout switch. Anything you do would help, unless the thieves have a rollback tow truck...
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:10 PM   #3
dave2953
Dave's not here, man

Our 62 Mini has one of those. It came that way from the factory. You turn the key to ON and push the starter button. It's in the floor next to the shifter. It's pretty well hidden and wouldn't be too hard to duplicate. Is this the type of setup you're referring to?
dave2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:39 PM   #4
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

not really,,i was thinking of a switch or push button under the dash somewhere...just something that is inbetween the key and the starter...that way even if hotwired,,its not going to start,,or shouldnt...
billy
Old 12-01-2006, 11:55 PM   #5
dave2953
Dave's not here, man

I just re-read your post and now I know what you mean. I'm sure some of the guys on here have some brilliant ideas to prevent theft.
BTW, I use to live in N. Ogden.
dave2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:04 AM   #6
Misstur_big

I actually was going to do this at one time since my truck is a GEN III. I was going to use the VATS security and replace the ignition switch with one out of a 06 monti carlo which would fit in the same hole without modification.
Then I came to my senses....
Misstur_big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:30 AM   #7
e rock

Well since I don't have anything to go work on...

This subject comes up fairly often on other forums I belong to. The biggest thing to remember is that, if someone really wants your truck, they can and will get it. I mean, a flatbed truck pretty much trumps any anti-theft device.

Lojack works, but on a relatively spartan truck, there just aren't very many places to hide the module where it wouldn't be spotted by any knowledgable thief and it doesn't prevent theft; it just aids in recovery.

I have an old FJ40, which has been my daily driver for about 8 years and I haven't had a top or doors on it for the past 3 years. I installed a simple toggle switch inline with the positive coil wire. With the switch off, even if you hotwired the ignition switch, it will crank but not start. I suppose technically a thief could just crank it over in gear to move it - my yellow-top optima will push it at least 1/2 mile if you pull the spark plugs (trust me on this one ) - but the fact that it won't start easily will at least be a deterrent to the casual thief. Also, my t-case shifter is a bit cryptic, so if I'm really worried, I'll just slip it into neutral or low-range. Again - not going to stop someone who really wants it and knows what they're doing, but hopefully enough to keep honest people honest. I also weld the nuts on my winch mounting bolts. Not so much that a few seconds with a grinder can't fix, but enough that a meth-head with a crescent wrench can't pawn it while I'm at work.

If you're only worried about it occasionally, I'd look into one of those modular battery terminals that are held together with a big thumbscrew. Pop the hood, unscrew, throw the screw in your pocket. It won't stop a determined thief, but it might be enough deterrent to make the thief move on to another vehicle.

Just rambling and hoping for a call from the cops...

Eric
e rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:40 AM   #8
e rock

More thoughts:

Grant sells quick-release steering wheel hubs if you have a way to take your steering wheel with you.

I can't find the website right now, but I remember reading plans online for an inline magnetic switch that was mounted behind the dash just below the ignition switch. He had a magnet on his keychain that would activate the switch when his key was in the ignition. Otherwise, no power to the starter relay.

I've seen fuel cut-off switches that would allow a thief to start it and drive, but not get very far.

I'm sure I've got more...
e rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:42 AM   #9
beater69
Sinister Exaggerator

Here is a link to a HUGE pdf all about relays. It has several wiring diagrams that lay out exactly how to wire some kind of starter cutout switch and several other cool things. Check it out, it has what ya need.
http://sonolithics.com/files/bosch.pdf
beater69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:57 AM   #10
truckdude239

at advance auto we sell a lock out kit that your batery wire goods to one side the the out the other and has a round key deal that you push in to enble power flow then pull the key out to disable the truck only thing would be if you got any modern cd play or something you would need to run a jumper wire for constant power to the cd player.

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote