The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2006, 11:53 PM   #1
R1racer99

Questions about selling '72

I'm new to the forum and am looking for some help on how to sell a truck I inherited from my dad. I still like the old trucks, I'm keeping his '74 4x2 454, but could really use the money and am not really into 4x4s.

I'm trying to figure out how best to gauge the value because I'm not sure of most of it's history. As far as I know the exterior and interior are pretty much flawless because it spent so much of it's life in storage. I'm more concerned that the numbers don't match (new transmission), and that it might have mechanical issues. So I'm wondering what kind of value I can expect for a truck that doesn't run great but is still all stock and has a solid, straight body. It's a 4x4 with a 350/350 btw.

Also, would a normal appraiser be able to give me a good value or would I need to find someone who specializes in older vehicles.

Sorry if any of these are dumb questions but I'm kind of clueless on this stuff. Thanks.

Last edited by R1racer99; 12-14-2006 at 11:55 PM.
R1racer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:35 AM   #2
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Re: Questions about selling '72

Post some pictures inside and out and you will have an accurate sale value in 1 day
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:28 PM   #3
pacecar paul

Is it a short bed, or long? Any options? Air, tilt, etc?
pacecar paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:33 PM   #4
Waylon

I'll give you $100 for it!!!
Waylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:34 PM   #5
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylon View Post
I'll give you $100 for it!!!
Sight unseen......$125 and I will be there Saturday
Old 12-15-2006, 12:53 PM   #6
john@thepier

Trucks are only worth what the market is willing to baer at any given time. Unrestored originals in very good condition can bring $6,000-$10,000 it all depends on many variables. Get as much info as you can, Milage, picture of the sticker in the glove box and lots of clear picture of the inside of truck under the cab, engine, inside the bed, chasis, etc. etc.Post them on this site and you will get lots of responses. Take the info for what its worth, and make a decision on $. Some will tell you a low and some will tell you an honest figure. I recently sold a LWB 4x4 on here for $9,500 it took several months to sell, but I knew what I had and stayed firm. Good luck and I'm sure I'm not the only one on this site that would say Keep and enjoy the truck Your dad would have wanted it that way. JOHN
Attached Images

john@thepier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 01:00 PM   #7
novajess1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72freak View Post
Sight unseen......$125 and I will be there Saturday
Can you believe the nerve of these guys offering you money for your dad's truck? How insulting. Since I am a man of morals and values, I will pick it up and not charge you a penny.

Jesse
1971 Chevy Nova (sold)
1967 Chevy El Camino (sold)
2001 Mustang Bullitt (sold)
2019 Toyota Tundra Crewmax (daily)

Last edited by novajess1972; 12-15-2006 at 01:00 PM.
novajess1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 06:13 PM   #8
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by novajess1972 View Post
Can you believe the nerve of these guys offering you money for your dad's truck? How insulting. Since I am a man of morals and values, I will pick it up and not charge you a penny.

Jesse
OK, OK......since its been pointed out I have no morals, just to make it right.......when I come Saturday to get it I will cut the grass, clean the gutters or shovel snow instead of offering you money for it!!!
Old 12-15-2006, 07:46 PM   #9
centsless
sufficiently talented fool

My advise would be to research it. Look here, e-bay, craigs list, local paper, etc. and find other trucks that are comparable and price it according to what you find. Roughly from your description, I would also say between 6 and 9 thousand.
1981 Corvette
1966 Impala Convertible
Click here to support the board
centsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 01:08 AM   #10
R1racer99

Thanks a lot for the responses. Unfortunately the truck is 100 miles away and in storage but as soon as I can get to it and get some pics I'll post them up and see if you guys can give me a reasonable idea.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:42 AM   #11
BarryB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72freak View Post
OK, OK......since its been pointed out I have no morals, just to make it right.......when I come Saturday to get it I will cut the grass, clean the gutters or shovel snow instead of offering you money for it!!!
Well I'll do better than that. I will do all that and wash the dishes.
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:17 AM   #12
krue
Designated A-hole!

Before you do anything else, you should subscribe. If you start posting pics or descriptions, this thread will get closed and edited (too many people try to use WIW threads to get out of paying the $25 subscription. ).

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:07 AM   #13
Rokcrln

Plus alot of guys will not give info if you are not a member because it is against teh board rules. The $25 helps keep the board afloat and is well worth the info on pricing that you will get. Also if you are keeping your dads 74 you will be around here alot with questions that you need answered. Just think $25 for a years of tech service based here in the United States of America!! (and Canada )

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:27 AM   #14
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

Keep your dads truck. You will appreciate it in the long run. I'm sure it would come in handy on those cold, snowy Minnesota winter days.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:54 AM   #15
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1racer99 View Post

I'm trying to figure out how best to gauge the value because I'm not sure of most of it's history. As far as I know the exterior and interior are pretty much flawless because it spent so much of it's life in storage. I'm more concerned that the numbers don't match (new transmission), and that it might have mechanical issues. So I'm wondering what kind of value I can expect for a truck that doesn't run great but is still all stock and has a solid, straight body. It's a 4x4 with a 350/350 btw.

Stuff from another post...

Unfortunately the truck is 100 miles away and in storage but as soon as I can get to it and get some pics I'll post them up and see if you guys can give me a reasonable idea
You list your location as Minneapolis. You say the truck is 100 miles from you. 100 miles in any direction from Mpls. is still in the salt/rust belt. If the truck has a solid, straight body that is where the value is.

What I have observed is a numbers matching truck isn't worth much if any more than a non-numbers matching truck at this time. Perhaps in the future it may be worth more with matching numbers but for now - WHAT I HAVE OBSERVED - that doesn't matter.

In 2002 a neighbor had a 1969 3/4 ton 4x4 with 40,000 actual miles. He said I could have it for $2000. I was buying a new boat that spring. I valued my marriage more than having a nice truck AND a nice boat. I passed on that one.

In 1994 I paid $1200 for my truck. Far from a numbers matching truck but it was (is) a 4x4 and it was and is solid.

Like others have posted, if you subscribe, take a few digi-shots of it and post them, you'll probably have it sold to somebody on the board in short order. And you'll probably get a fair price for it.

Huh. I thought da-burb bought all available 67-72 Chevy trucks within 100 miles of Minneapolis.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:53 PM   #16
R1racer99

Quote:
Originally Posted by krue View Post
Before you do anything else, you should subscribe. If you start posting pics or descriptions, this thread will get closed and edited (too many people try to use WIW threads to get out of paying the $25 subscription. ).
Sorry if I wasn't supposed to post something like this without subscribing. I'm looking for the best way to find the value and how best to sell rather than trying to sell online, although I might try that at some point. (Just making sure that this isn't looked at as a for sale thread.)

One other question. Is an older vehicle which wont be driven in the winter looked at the same as a sports car or motorcycle where you can get a higher value in the spring or summer? i.e. Should I wait a couple months to sell?
Old 12-16-2006, 05:30 PM   #17
krue
Designated A-hole!

As I said, a lot of times these threads turn into For Sale threads (which is why the subscription is necessary). I guarantee if you stick around you'll either
A.) Decide it's too cool to sell.
B.) Come up with a good selling price, based on what you have.

Either way it's worth $25. Which I you don't have to pay, it's voluntary unless you want to buy/sell/trade. Or post a WIW to sell, which is why I say if there's enough info about your truck on this thread to give you a true value of your truck I'll have to close it.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"

Last edited by krue; 12-16-2006 at 05:32 PM.
krue is offline   Reply With Quote