The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2006, 09:43 PM   #1
john@thepier

Define Original

What are some of the views defining (original) from repaired or restored? That is, at what point can you, (should you) quit saying original when talking about your, or anyone elses truck. The point where you say restored to original. Original with modifications

Last edited by john@thepier; 12-18-2006 at 09:56 PM.
john@thepier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:48 PM   #2
1969k10stepside

Re: Define Original

IMO original means that it has the original motor,tranny,transfer case(on 4x4s).Original body parts.Original paint,stock wheels.Basically the way it was when it rolled off the assembly line.
Thats what I think of when I think Original.
1969k10stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:54 PM   #3
john@thepier

But if say for example that a bed side had to be repaired and repainted, is it still original. Or say if you put new rims and tires and exhaust on, and rebuilt the motor so it had more performance, that would no longer be original, even if you never touched the body?
Old 12-18-2006, 10:01 PM   #4
Sweet72

Original is up to interpretation. Opinions are what you'll get here. My opinion is nothing renewed or altered from factory, including paint, wheels, upholstery, mechanicals. Tires and other service items excluded.
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:01 PM   #5
1969k10stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by john@thepier View Post
But if say for example that a bed side had to be repaired and repainted, is it still original. Or say if you put new rims and tires and exhaust on, and rebuilt the motor so it had more performance, that would no longer be original, even if you never touched the body?
IMO if the body has been reapired then NO.Stock motor with performance parts would not be original but slightly modified.Wheels and tires make it un original but in almost ever truck build a new set of wheels and tires are used unless you are building a matching # truck that you want to be as original as possible.IMO adding new wheels,tires,exhaust,ect make it no longer original but restored and modified.
Just my 2 Cents...

Last edited by 1969k10stepside; 12-18-2006 at 10:02 PM.
1969k10stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:17 PM   #6
el curioso

I guess I'm in luck cuz my truck came with the custom package so I can customize it as I please and restore it at the same time .LOL

It is what you want it to be, an original truck to me is a truck that keeps the factory theme. Ex: color, wheels, engine, interior and drive train.

And a totally restored vehicle to me is nothing but a beautifully thing. (TEARS OF JOY)
Old 12-18-2006, 10:21 PM   #7
john@thepier

So if I was to want and say original and had a dented fender, I should leave it unrepaired. And leave the original or type tires on it. The whole reason I'm starting this topic is because I see so many people calling repaints original, when they should not be. I,d like to repair a dented fender, its not to bad but I'd hate for someone to say its not original if I do. And replace the old tires. I guess it would become termed repaired original with new tires.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:32 PM   #8
mr402

Original can be defined as unrestored or restored to original condition. Many of the definitions I would class as unrestored. The Classic Chevy club has a definition for unrestored vehicles. Nothing under the hood can be restored or painted. General body repairs can be performed but can not exceed something like 15%. Same for the interior. Sorry, but I don't recall the exact numbers. Our trucks are covered and can be shown at their events since the cover 55 - 72 Chevys and Chevy powered vehicles.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:42 PM   #9
john@thepier

If I were to have a fender with a 1"x5" crease repaired and repainted, chances are the paint would not match up perfectly. How would this reflect in say selling the truck. Should it hurt resale or should it bring more than if I left a dent in its original paint.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:44 PM   #10
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

IMO if its altered in anyway its not factory or stock. I know what your talkin' about,guys will say one is when its not. Yes you can restore to original but if its altered from factory specs its not. Example... its dropped 3'' and a billet wheels etc but stock paint and trim. Sorry its not OEM!! I've had alot of negative comments about the non embossed gate and grill on mine. I wasn't gonna pay 200-300 hundred more for '' CHEVROLET '' I think everybody knows its a Chevy!!! Its simple if its changed not factory or original,
69 C-10, OWNED 38YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:48 PM   #11
bryanw1968

I personally think that "original" means stock motor, trans, paint and wheels. There's something about having a stock set of wheels and paint on something that makes it "untouched" even if someone put a stereo or seat cover in it.
bryanw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:48 AM   #12
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

I'd say that unless the truck went through a time warp, there's practically no such thing as original. They were never meant to last this long. Many have gone through several owners, some of whom have had dubious ideas about improvements/mods.

My truck for example, 72 4x4 1/2 ton longbed fleet has had the cab and drivetrain changed. The rear axle, trans, transfer case, and probably the front axle are from an 85 truck. The PS box and probably the pump are also later model, not to mention the engine, which is of unknown origin. The wiring was a rat's nest of 12AWG wire. The guages were Autozone specials jammed into the original holes and wired creatively. Only the temp guage and the voltmeter worked.

The thing is, these trucks had their period of time when they weren't worth much and got cut up. As a matter of fact, they are still quite common (5 in one local Sunday paper this weekend--try finding 5 old Dodge or Ford), and apparently a billion are still out there.

Original is almost a myth...
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:59 AM   #13
Texasdeere

I guess you can have Original Condition as in a totally untouched vehicle and restored to Original Condition where as every effort was made to make it as it was from day one. In some cases having a new single exhaust bent as close to original as possible is completely ok. Once the block has been changed out (stuff happens) it really isn't original anymore but if a completely correct year/size replacement block is used that should be ok as long as it is not mis-represented.

When you have a low mile original and very clean un-touched truck with original paint that is faded a bit, I would be tempted to leave a small dent alone. But a truck like this is still very desireable whether or not the owner decided to do some body work and re-paint. It will just be an original truck with new paint.

I think an even more mis-used term is "Restored"! But that is another story.

Just my 2 cents.
Texasdeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:34 AM   #14
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

I think this is a HIGHLY Debated item in ALL among all those involved with antique or classis cars/trucks.

I frequent another website called the HAMB that deals strictly with HotRods - and the main premise for the forum is to "spread the gosple of Traditional Hot Rods"
The topic of "traditional" comes up all the time. Pure "traditionalist" say that inorder to have a traditional hot rod - you can't use parts manufactures after specific time period that you car is representing.
For example if your car is representing HotRods from the early 50's that means - Flathead Ford Motors, Ford Toploader Trannys, Banjo style rear ends, Bias Ply tires, Early Style "Juice" Drum Brakes...etc.etc.etc.

*And then people counter the argument with "well the hole idea of hot rodding was and still is to make your car better & faster given the parts that are available @ the time". in 1953 they didn't have SBC's with more speed parts than you can ever dream of.
so basically if you have a "traditional hot rod" it basically becomes a tribute to that era OR it becomes a Restoration of a hot rod - but the traditionalist's hate when you call thier "hot rods" restorations - as restorations are boring

You're in the same boat with the truck. You want to fix the fender and re-paint it, but are worried how others will Label your truck.

Honestly - Why do you care? It's YOUR truck

I had the same problem with my hotrod - when I post pictures on the other forum they tend to not get much response because I have a BBC that wasn't available till '65, I have Disc Brakes, I have Radial Tires. I had a real problem with this - because I wanted to "fit into the label" but you know what,
The whole hobby defines individualism - do what you like, be happy with it, drive the heck out of it and most of all Have Fun!
-Andy
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:46 AM   #15
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

i think orginal means its like it left the factory..if you repaint it,then its restored.
i had a 60 chevy pickup, that i was putting together with factry opions..i went with the option of a 283, over the 6cylinder that was missing when i got the truck. i would call that restored. it would have had nothing in it that it didnt have that would have been a factory option.
once you start dropping them, big motors, different trany's ect, then it leaning towards modified or custom.. most of the time i dont restore them as i want it to be mine, so i make minor changes. now if i pick up one i know is original, with every thing that it came with from the factory except the tire,,they cant last forever, then i lean towards restoreing them to original condition..other than that,,make them your own and do what you want with it..
just my .02
Old 12-19-2006, 08:51 AM   #16
Billla
Account Suspended

For classc aircraft we use these definitions:

"Survivor": Unmodified factory orginal
"Original": Factory orginal, repaired or refinished as req'd per factory processes
"Restored": Brought to factory original condition using replacement parts as req'd
"Rebuilt": Brought to factory configuration (not condition) using any parts req'd

Not sure if this helps
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:29 AM   #17
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

The Green '72 Camper Special posted on ebay - item number (330063565710) and on this site is the only definition of ORIGINAL that I have seen. Untouched except for a little maintanance.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"

Last edited by Bishops Trucks; 12-19-2006 at 09:35 AM.
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:01 PM   #18
Orange
Licensed to Thrill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GMC454 View Post
i think orginal means its like it left the factory..if you repaint it,then its restored.
Bingo.
If it has the slightest little thing done to it that wasn't what was done to it at the factory, then it isn't original.
It then becomes custom or restored (just depending on which way you step toward).

So when the first headlight blew and Old Man Jones had to buy a new set of Firestones, it wasn't original, it was in a resto state then.

Man, that is harsh, but it wasn't orginal any longer, think about it.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:15 PM   #19
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

To me, the phrase 100% original means that the truck is exactly the way it rolled off the assembly line 35-40 years ago, excluding wear and tear items such as brakes, tires, alternators, water pumps, etc... (hey, crap breaks )

I used to tell people my 67 was original, because to me, it was. It had the original six, 3 speed, all body panels, etc.

But now, it sports goodmark fenders and doors, repo tailgate, rear fenders off a different truck, 350/700R4, power disk brakes...etc...

The funny thing is that people tell me I have a nice "original" looking truck. Probably becuase it has 15x8 rims and isn't dropped?

I take the word "original" with a grain of salt. The only time I get anal about it is when someone says they have a 100% original truck.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:47 PM   #20
bagged91
Out draggin'

IMO - If your truck has the original paint, tires, ect... and is in nice presentable condition, then leave it as is. If you are planning on driving the truck, then you could always buy a cheap set of steelies at the junkyard to throw new tires on & leave your original tires mounted on the original rims. As far as the dent you are describing, if it isn't too bad, then you could try a paintless dent removal guy...

Back in the early 80's, my dad bought a 1952 Chevy Fleetline Deluxe 2dr fastback with 6,339.9 original miles on it(documented). Found it in a barn and it was last registered in 1956. Car still had original tires, battery, ect...To "preserve" the car, he ended up doing a cosmetic restoration on it to curtail the rust that was starting from the leaky barn.
72 C10 Burb (ex. Cheesewagon)SOLD
72 C20 Burb parts truck
71 C10 Burb "project"
bagged91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 05:55 PM   #21
454_72_4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
Bingo.
If it has the slightest little thing done to it that wasn't what was done to it at the factory, then it isn't original.
It then becomes custom or restored (just depending on which way you step toward).

So when the first headlight blew and Old Man Jones had to buy a new set of Firestones, it wasn't original, it was in a resto state then.

Man, that is harsh, but it wasn't orginal any longer, think about it.
I agree with Orange.
Original is original, simple as that.

When the truck had it's first repair of any kind, be it "wear items" or not, it's no longer original.

Now that we've established there's no such thing as an original truck, get back out to the shop and get-r-done in whatever form you happen to like. Then get it out on the road. That's where they belong!

I'd rather drive my ol beat to death 72 than have a "show winner" sittin in the garage under a cover that might get driven to the local car show, (can't go to far cause it might get a chip in the paint or wear out a tierod end..)
98 Sonoma (TPI outa the Trans Am)
03 Yamaha 660 Raptor
03/04 660 Raptor
07 700 Raptor
85 Honda Odyssey
454_72_4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote