The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2002, 02:05 PM   #1
neonlarry

OT question about 76 chevy emissions

*please feel free to move this, I am just putting it here because the most people will look at it*

I am looking at a 1976 chevy k-10 with a 350 4bbl that was sold in montana. It does not have a AIR pump, egr, or catylitic convertors. It also has the q-jet with the divorced choke instead of the type that year usually has. Has anyone ever seen a truck like this? It has been in CA for many years and it always passed the smog check with no problem, but I don't want to get something that isn't really legal.
Does anyone know if it would have come this way(it doesn't look like it has been messed with) Also, if that is the way it came, will it pass the CA smog check?
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 07:33 PM   #2
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

GM got away with not havign to install emissions equipment in thos eyears by building heavy half gmc and big 10 chevy pickups

gvw listed on door jamp plate should be around 6200lb and the rotors will be thicker than std and drums wider tan std and leaf packs 7+1

check your underhood mounted emissions label for originally installed emissions, if was really cali built truck then it should have at least AIR or cat

theres alot of info about this on the net, use google.com to find it

good luck
Fast68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 12:06 AM   #3
neonlarry

I don't think it was a CA built truck, the people that own it are the original owners, and they moved here from montana after they bought the truck.
So for a non CA 1976 k10 it shouldn't have cats or AIR pump or anything? I guess I will check the tag to see what the gvw is, and find out for sure where it was built.

Thanks for your help
Old 11-01-2002, 11:00 PM   #4
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

a 76 K10 shouldnt have cats or egr in any state. I do beleive air injection was a california only requirement. It is 100% legal if thats how the truck was sold. take it by a smog station they will tell you right away what it has to have (at least they should if the guy isnt an a*****e)

also divorced choke would be original equipment... Id buy it, a lot of people would kill to find an out of state truck, original owner is a big plus too...

if the truck hasnt been too molested, look for a sticker in the engine compartment.. i think the sticker on the air cleaner will tell you what it had to have.. it will say year manufactured, engine size and some other info

keep us posted

mike
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 12:03 AM   #5
neonlarry

So it will be legal in CA like that? I don't think anything has ever been changed on it, so will it pass the visual inspection without the AIR stuff on it?

Quote:
Id buy it, a lot of people would kill to find an out of state truck
Well, if I end up getting it, guess how much it's going to cost? $0.00. The people bought a new duramax diesel 1ton last year, and they don't need the old truck anymore. It has 350-400k miles on it, but it is actually in really good shape. The bad things about it are the bed and one door are in need of replacement, and they said there might be something wrong with the transfer case.
It has been parked for about 8 months, and it wouldn't start again, so I am going to have to figure out what is wrong with it. The hood, drivers side door, and fenders are perfect though, and I think with a little bit of work it could be a really nice truck.
If anyone has a ochre long bed and passenger side door for sale near me I might be interested once I get the truck home.
Old 11-06-2002, 11:39 PM   #6
neonlarry

Well, I went back and looked at the truck again, and I talked to the guy that actually was the one that bought it. As far as I know, it has always been the way it is. It was built in flint michigan, and was sold in Montana. I am not sure if the dual exhaust is stock, but it looks like it. So, now I guess the question is, will it be legal in CA without the extra smog stuff on it, even though it never had it?
Old 11-07-2002, 02:10 AM   #7
mike reeh

Thumbs up

to reiterate, yes its 100% legal and sounds like its very original.

mike
Old 11-07-2002, 02:26 AM   #8
neonlarry

cool, thanks. Now I just have to get running and I can bring it home. I think the t-case is dieing, but other than that it appears to be un molested and in pretty good shape for having 450k miles on it.
Old 11-07-2002, 09:18 PM   #9
mike reeh

let me know how it turns out... if you get it and get bored of it, let me know I might be interested in the truck.. i dont know where "vacaville" is but im in san diego county...

mike