The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2006, 03:41 PM   #1
Kenneth_CS87

Lt1 Water pump Hose connection to stock radiator.

Im running my stock Radiator with my Lt1 Swap. I was told that the Lt1 is reverse cooling. Does anybody know how to hook up the Lt1 style water pump onto the stock C10 Radiator?

Kenneth_CS87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:09 PM   #2
skchevota

Re: Lt1 Water pump Hose connection to stock radiator.

hook the upper t-stat hose to the lower radiator outlet. this is the coolant intake side. then that 3/4" outlet on the right side you can remove or plug. that used to go to the overflow bottle on the car. it was also the fill, as the radiators did not have acap, the over flow was presherized with a cap. I tapped that hole to 1/2 " pipe thread and used it for a sending unit location

Last edited by skchevota; 12-19-2006 at 04:10 PM. Reason: typo
skchevota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
shifty
Questionable

"Reverse cooling" just means that the water flows through the heads before the block. The LT1 is the only engine GM ever made that runs this way, if memory serves correct.

I am 99% positive that all GM radiators supply the engine from the low passenger side bung and return water through the upper driver side bung. Just look at any car with an LT1 setup and mimic it with your stock radiator and you will be fine.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:18 PM   #4
Kenneth_CS87

Quote:
Originally Posted by skchevota View Post
hook the upper t-stat hose to the lower radiator outlet. this is the coolant intake side. then that 3/4" outlet on the right side you can remove or plug. that used to go to the overflow bottle on the car. it was also the fill, as the radiators did not have acap, the over flow was presherized with a cap. I tapped that hole to 1/2 " pipe thread and used it for a sending unit location
Thanks for the help. This is what I got so far.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:19 PM   #5
shifty
Questionable

That one you say is to "overflow tank" looks liek a heater return sized bib.

By the way - if you need to remove any of those bibs, then thread the hole and plug it "the right way", the bib will pull out with some pliers. That one looks J-shaped, so you might be able to pull it out by hand.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:46 PM   #6
Hart_Rod

I put my temp sending unit in the one you have marked overflow tank and used the other one for the heater.

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 12-20-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:15 PM   #7
Slammed70

You can hook them up either way....it doesnt matter. Since the MOTOR is reverse cooling. It can go through the radiator anyway as long as the radiator does what its supposed to do. Those 5/8 pipes on the passenger side of the pump are for the heater. The one on the drivers side is for the (I know its weird) engine oil cooler.

If you want...get the Y-body water pump. It has just one heater hose outlet on the passenger side.

Also, DO NOT lose the hollow screw that goes into the thermostat outlet housing. Its used to bleed out air/steam from the coolent system. If your not able to do that then your expensive LT1 will overheat really fast.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:21 PM   #8
Slammed70

Quote:
Originally Posted by skchevota View Post
They had a radiator cap on the radiator.....heres a pic of my dirty LT4 in my 95 Camaro
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2006, 02:52 AM   #9
Kenneth_CS87

Ok Kool I got it.
Thermostat hose to the bottom of the radiator.
Driver Side outlet to top Radiator.
Upper Passenger side with 5/8bibb is the outlet to the heater core.
lower passenger side is the return. I guess ima just plug up the other hose on the driver side.

Last edited by Kenneth_CS87; 12-21-2006 at 03:28 AM.