The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2006, 11:00 AM   #1
engrdean

Money well spent

I have a couple of 72 1/2 tons that I am gonig to go look at this weekend. I will most likely end up purchasing one of them. My question for everyone here is what are the most essential items you have purchased for your truck?

My budget is fairly small at this point, probably about $1000 after purchasing the truck. The truck I am most seriously considering is a longbed with a rebuilt 350 that has about 50,000 miles on the "new" motor. It is a 4 speed with all of the typical spots rusted (rocker panels, wheel wells, etc.), but the rust is really not too bad. Looks are not my main concern, I am more worried about making it enjoyable to drive. I am not looking for a restoration, something more performance oriented. I would like to be able to take it to the strip without looking foolish, but still keep it streetable enough I can drive it whenever I like. This won't be my daily driver so a little downtime is not a big deal. Let me know what you think, I am sure there is some stuff that you guys feel like you couldn't live without.
engrdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:41 AM   #2
boraxman
Keepin an eye out

Re: Money well spent

The very first thing I would do is, make sure the brakes are up to par.
ZIP 91351
boraxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:55 AM   #3
bobthecop

The second thing, is suspension
bobthecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:57 AM   #4
raggedjim

engrdean, there's a reason why most of the project trucks you find out there run okay but still need body work/ rust repair. The mechanicals on these trucks are very basic. The body work can be intensive.

If I had to do it over again I would buy the most rust-free truck I could find. You will be money ahead.

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:01 PM   #5
72dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
engrdean, there's a reason why most of the project trucks you find out there run okay but still need body work/ rust repair. The mechanicals on these trucks are very basic. The body work can be intensive.

If I had to do it over again I would buy the most rust-free truck I could find. You will be money ahead.

Good luck, Rg
Good advice
Old 12-21-2006, 12:36 PM   #6
engrdean

Thanks for the advice guys. Second to finding a truck that is running, rust has been my main concern since I know how labor intensive fixing those sort of problems can be. Unfortunately, I don't think I am going to find anything rust free on my budget. The good thing is that if these trucks do end up being a couple of rust buckets when I look at them, I can afford to wait.

Brakes seem to be a sensible place to start. I am assuming four wheel disk is the way to go. I believe the fronts are disks and the rears drums. Any specific recommendations on a setup to go with?

As far as suspension, airbags migh be nice for the adjustability eventually, but my mind is not made up on that issue and I couldn't afford them right now even if it was. So, once again, any specific recommendations for the suspension (assuming there is nothing obvious about to fall off)?

I really appreciate all the help. I am fairly new to the kansas city area so I haven't found anyone locally I can bug about this stuff, and for some reason my wife just doesn't seem nearly as interested in my trucks suspension as I am.
engrdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:54 PM   #7
raggedjim

The front disc, rear drums is a good setup (stock on 71-72). I wouldn't change it for a driver. The front brakes do the lion's share of the braking.

Either leaf's or trailing arms are good suspension setup's, but I think the trailing arms would be better for the strip if you intend on doing that. The leafs would be prone to axle wrap and the trailing arms are not.

If the body isn't a priority, then reliability and safety are where I would put my $$$.

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:24 PM   #8
see ten
WTB this ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post

Good luck, Rg
Again, Good advice! If my budget wouldn't allow me to buy a rust free or a nearly rust free truck I would see how much more I would need to save. No kidding, I would rather have a rust free body and no engine or trans than a rusty runner. Unless you are planning on learning some metalworking and bodywork stay far away from the rusty ones. I would also lean more towards finding a shortbed but that's just my preference. It cost just as much to build a short as it does a long but when time to sell rolls around we all know the prices aren't equal.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:02 AM   #9
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

If it's a factory 4spd I wouldn't take it down the strip. It will be a Granny Low trans and they do not like to be speed shifted...

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote