The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2006, 07:37 PM   #1
kombreeze

Tail Lights Electrical? @!^#**

It started as a simple just to do project but I think I screwed something up. My taillights won't work now. Yesterday I took off these great big tractor after market tail lights that came with the truck. I thought it would be a good Idea to convert my reverse light (stocker that never worked) swap that with the brake lights and see if that would work. The brake lights work great but the tail lights don't. If you are wondering I cleaned those clear reverse domes popped in the taillights with red rubber caps on bulbs. It looks sharp after I shortened the bracket an inch and half. Just need to know what to follow for the night lights since that seems to be the only thing that doesn't worked. Worked fine before overnight pooof my night lights are on VAY KAY..... Just was using it for the moc up for some 53 tailights.
kombreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:09 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Tail Lights Electrical? @!^#**

how did you wire this up?
The back up lamp is an 1156, and it only has one light filliment in it... the 1157, which is the brake/turn/parking lamp, has 2 filliments... 2 bulbs in one.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:59 PM   #3
kombreeze

I used the loom from brake lights jus jb welded it in the backup light socket just popped out and pretty muched popped in a lil loose so that's why I used jb weld.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:05 AM   #4
Luvlegs

For what it's worth, the other night I was trying to mount my fleetsides taillights to the bed (I'm moving and have to make the project road worthy for the trip) - anywhoo, my brake lights worked but the tails didn't - I walked back (with switch turned on) and when I lifted up on the "snap on" part of the connector, the tails worked....HOWEVER, the brakes stopped working.... my issue was the 35 year old plastic clips on the end wont hold tight enough to make BOTH connections at the same time, just one or the other. Because it's temporary, I compressed the fitting together, added a couple licks of the ol ductape and they both work.

Wear your PPE! You can eat with false teeth but you can't see with a false eye.

1959 Studebaker Silverhawk 350/400
1972 C10 L6 3OTT
2005 F350 - Built - whew!
Luvlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombreeze View Post
I used the loom from brake lights jus jb welded it in the backup light socket just popped out and pretty muched popped in a lil loose so that's why I used jb weld.
If the socket was loose before you JB'd it you may not be getting a good enough ground, but I would think the brake lights wouldn't work either. I would check the fuse and if you have a tester test the wire connector under the bed in the rear to make sure all circuits have power there.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 12-21-2006 at 10:54 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 11:23 AM   #6
kombreeze

How much ground is needed. Right now the lights are too bright. It's reversed the lights dull when I apply the brakes. signals work, lights come on, and brakes dull when lights are on but the brakes don't work if the lights are on....what the f$#@ any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:14 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

your ground is fine
try reversing the wires, that plug is on backwards.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote