The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2006, 03:29 PM   #1
71MUTT
Can't ReMember

Info on buying a Cheyenne

I'm thinking about buying a 72 Cheyenne. The price is right, just need to go look at it. All I need to do is have the seller transfer the title, correct? Then go to the DMV to get a plate to drive it home? I definitely don't want to trailer it home. It's 150 miles and I would have to rent one. An extra expense I don't need. I've bought most of my vehicles from dealers and you transfer plates with them.(or get a new plate) There should be some type of law where you could drive it home and get the plate later.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:41 PM   #2
HeavyD

Re: Info on buying a Cheyenne

Up here we can buy driving permits to get the vehicle home without plates. Costs me $20 for 24hrs and I need a bill of sale. Nothing like that in your area?
Old 12-23-2006, 03:44 PM   #3
71MUTT
Can't ReMember

I've never heard of that before. Where would you get it from, the DMV?
Old 12-23-2006, 03:56 PM   #4
pcmcobra

i never had a problem in florida. I drove my truck from commerce, ga to pensacola, fl with a piece of paper on my back window, tag applied for.
Drove it to insurance guy and tag place, never said a word. Im sure if you can show the "police" or whoever you just bought the truck, they probably wont give you a hard time, unless they see you a week later with no tags, then you might have a problem.
Also, my insurance covers me...thats another reason i was not worried, you might want to check your insurance policy or just give them a call and find out.

Last edited by pcmcobra; 12-23-2006 at 03:57 PM.
pcmcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 06:15 PM   #5
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

In Arkansas, with a bill of sale & privately-transacted (no dealer-involved), I believe you've got up to 30 days to title & plate it. Better have insurance, though, or it's ticket-time when/if you get stopped.
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 06:21 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

you need to call your DMV, period. You could do the "tag applied for" paper, but then you may get a $50 ticket, and impounded, and court fees... then you'll be really ticked off at pcmcobra. There's things you can get away with in one part of the state, that'll get you locked up in other parts of the state.

Here in Ohio, if you have a tire on a public road, it is required to be registered and insured... even on the back od a wrecker. a 30 day tag can be had here from our BMV for about 20 bucks or so...good for the whole month, regardless of where you are or where you're going. I know in Tx, you can get a one way tag for 10 bucks or so, god for one trip, designed for your situation alone.
Call your DMV.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 06:41 PM   #7
krue
Designated A-hole!

In Mississippi with the signed and dated title you've got 30 days to buy a tag. Call your insurance agent for info on your insurance.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 07:26 PM   #8
72armyswbtruck

In Idaho you can get a 30 day temp tag for about 10 bucks and in Kansas you can get a 24hr pass for 2 buks
Old 12-23-2006, 09:41 PM   #9
Rokcrln

You don't mention if it has curent tags now or not. Here in Cali if it has curent tags you have 5 buisness days to go to DMV and change registration. It must have ins. for those 5 days to be legal but I know my policy covers me for 30 days on any vehical I buy with out me even calling them. Check first with your state, that costs nothing and can save you big problems later. Also here you can have a car on a trailer with out curent tags as long as the trailer is curent and provided you did not need to have the car on public roads to get it on the trailer.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:31 PM   #10
71MUTT
Can't ReMember

Well, I know that the insurance is covered. My insurance agent sleeps next to me every night. It's just that the DMV won't be open till Tues. I talked to the wife and she just told me the proper way would to take the signed over title to the DMV and get registration and plates. This means I'll probably have to take the plate of my 71 C-10 and put it on the 72 Cheyenne to get it home this weekend. Now I'm not saying I'm going to do this, just that's what it would take.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:37 PM   #11
71MUTT
Can't ReMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
You don't mention if it has curent tags now or not. Here in Cali if it has curent tags you have 5 buisness days to go to DMV and change registration.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
The wifey says that in FL the seller keeps the tag. I like the Cali law better. It makes more sense.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:02 PM   #12
msgross

I rented a uhaul trailer for $50 a day. if fit my SWB great... or a dolley is $40. Beats having a truck break down on you
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 01:27 AM   #13
Longhorn Man

just remember, driving with no tags is a small fine, tags from another truck, huge fine.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:41 AM   #14
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

'71 and '72 look the same to me. I'm not saying that is the right thing to do but I have done wrong a few times myself. Unless they look at the VIN plate or you get in a wreck nobody would ever know. I'm sure your wife would take you to get it and follow you home. She could serve as a blocker running behind you. I have not made a habbit of doing this but I have done it a few times in Virginia. By the way, I will be in the Kissimmee Area from Feb, 15th to the 19th. We could meet in "Old Town" on that Saturday night.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"

Last edited by Bishops Trucks; 12-24-2006 at 03:15 AM.
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 11:23 AM   #15
Longhorn Man

I agree... I have done it, and probably would again. I've delivered a car across the state with expired tags, dragged the longhorn 450 miles on a tow bar with no tags, drove the old GMC with out of state tags from another car... I actually took the front tag off my car, put it on the back of the GMC, and drove both of them home, one in front of the other.
And I'll do any...even all of those again.

I'm just poinitng out that if the law in your area is a real pain... ticket you for the most minor infraction, then you need to thnk twice.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:51 AM   #16
mjensen

Here in Utah, you can just run down to the DMV pay their fee and get a temporary permit. This seems like the safest way to me and it's real easy to do. I plan on doing this with mine in the spring while I get the exhaust fixed so I can get it legal. I would think that you would get in more trouble for having the wrong plates on it than none at all.

'69 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 Build Thread
mjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 10:59 PM   #17
71MUTT
Can't ReMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishops Trucks View Post
By the way, I will be in the Kissimmee Area from Feb, 15th to the 19th. We could meet in "Old Town" on that Saturday night.
I'd love to but I have a room booked on the beach, about 5 miles from the track. RACEWEEK! Will be there that whole week. Meet everyone at the track that week.

Didn't make it over to look at the Cheyenne.Too many things came up. Told the guy I could make it on Fri. This will work out better if he still has it.

Happy Holidays
Old 12-24-2006, 11:09 PM   #18
1968SWBBigBlock

Call your state highway patrol, they can give great advice on what you can and can not get by with. Make sure you write down the date, time and officer. If you get pulled over this will go along ways towards walking away a free man.
1968SWBBigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 11:16 PM   #19
71MUTT
Can't ReMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968SWBBigBlock View Post
Call your state highway patrol, they can give great advice on what you can and can not get by with. Make sure you write down the date, time and officer. If you get pulled over this will go along ways towards walking away a free man.
Good idea. I'll give it a try.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:28 PM   #20
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUTT View Post
I'd love to but I have a room booked on the beach, about 5 miles from the track. RACEWEEK! Will be there that whole week. Meet everyone at the track that week. :Happy Holidays
We could do that. Where are your seats at. I'm in the Segrave section. The group i'm with will be wondering the infield before the race. You could PM me a cell phone number. My cell phone won't work in the states (Austrian issued) but one of my buddies will have one. We could meet up somewhere.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 11:56 PM   #21
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

longhorn man,,we must be related,,i have done all of that to..and will again..but most of the time if you got a bill of sale and the title,,you can drive it home..but most if not al states have temp tags or transport tags..call your local dmv to find out for sure...but since you just bought it or are going to buy it,,take some tools..now for the new yr,,make friends with some body who has a car trailer..lol
Old 12-25-2006, 03:55 AM   #22
lilpup69chevy
67-72 parts finder

here in missouri you can transfer tags from one truck to the other so if you said you sold the 71 and were transferring them to the 72 you'd have 30 days just no way around the insurance bit but like said most states very on the laws i wish you luck though
2004 pontiac grand prix gt (the ol ladys car)
1985 chevy short wide
1970 chevy c10 lwb (another parts rig)
1969 gmc lwb (rainy day project)
1968 chevy lwb c10 250 I6 3 spd (soon to be swb)
lilpup69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 07:41 AM   #23
71MUTT
Can't ReMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishops Trucks View Post
We could do that. Where are your seats at. I'm in the Segrave section.
Well, I'm in the Cambell section. I'll be real easy to find. I have terrible seats. They're too low. Section B. Were almost next to each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpup69chevy View Post
here in missouri you can transfer tags from one truck to the other so if you said you sold the 71 and were transferring them to the 72 you'd have 30 days
I still have the 71 registered and insured. Don't know if I can part with it. We go way back. I only drive it in the winter here in Florida. No air. Too hot in the summer. It just needs so much work and I don't know if I'm the guy for the job. The last time I rebuilt it was in 1988. It was a lot easier back then. I had more room and used truck pieces were way easier to find. Last time it was an eight month project. It was a lot of fun and you sure feel good when it's done.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:25 AM   #24
Botietruck
'71 chevy s.bed/s.side

In VA you can purchase a one-way permit online for $5.00, I've done that several times.
Botietruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:29 AM   #25
71MUTT
Can't ReMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botietruck View Post
In VA you can purchase a one-way permit online for $5.00, I've done that several times.
Now we're talkin'. I'll check into this right now. Thanks.