The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2006, 12:40 PM   #1
LawMan02

SBC 350 rebuild information

I'm ready to tackle rebuilding an old 350 out of my 71 K20. PO said the truck was running well when it was set up several years ago. What would you recommend as good literature for a shade tree mechanic (at best) to help me along with rebuilding this motor. I need simple instructions with plenty of pictures. Thanks, Randy

1973 Jeep CJ 5, 304, 33's with side pipes

2008 GMC 2500HD, CC, SWB, D/A, SLT
LawMan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
Billla
Account Suspended

Re: SBC 350 rebuild information

The "gotta have" books from my experience are:

David Vizard's "How to rebuild the Small-Block Chevy"
http://www.amazon.com/How-Rebuild-Yo...e=UTF8&s=books
This is "the" reference for rebuilding

The SA Design Video Workbench "Rebuilding the Small-Block Chevy"
ISBN 1-932494-21-9
Great reference with LOTs of pictures and even a DVD. Only caution is to watch for some of their specs, which are incorrect in the book.

David Vizard's "How to Build Max Performance Chevy Small Blocks on a Budget"
ISBN 1-884089-34-8
Great general reference - nobody does a better job of maxing stock parts than Vizard, or busting persistent myths about how to build HP. He does minimize the expense of machine shops so the budgets are off, but the advice is top-notch.

Last but not least the overhaul manual for your truck.

Do a bit of studying and post questions/comments - lots of folks with engines on the stand (including me) so we can walk you through anything that's not clear.

A couple of key points from my experience:
  • Set a budget. Be realistic about what you want to spend, total cost with the engine back in and running well. No single decision will have a more significant impact on your success, and this decision will impact every other "technical" decision you make about the engine. In my experience, having a realistic budget is the best tool for picking the right parts combination for your use.
  • Begin with the end in mind. What do you really want from the engine? Towing? Milage/driveability? Drag racing? By starting with how you want the engine to perform you can make some of the key decisions that form the foundation of the engine...and avoid ending up with something that doesn't meet your needs.
  • Find a good shop. Talk to folks on the board and find a shop locally. Head over there on a weekday to talk about what you want to do and swap expectations. Recognize that if you're doing your own rebuild, the sole burden is on you to ensure the engine is machined correctly - you can't just assume everything's fine and bolt it together. Telling the shop that you understand that...while asking them to help you with key decisions - will help build the partnership required to make this work.
  • Invest in a few good tools. You probably already have most of the tools you need, but there are a few more that are "must haves" for engine work. There are some "nice to haves" and a few others you might need to rent, but these are the absolute minimums.
    • Good torque wrench, 20 - 100 ft-lbs capacity.
    • Good vernier caliper
    • Good set of feeler gauges
    • Good engine stand - this is one I feel strongly about. You don't need to spend a ton of money here, but if you plan on building more than one engine spend a bit more here and get something really decent.
    • Decent ring compressor
    • Decent ring expander

That's probably TMI, but I thought I'd get it all out in one fell swoop

Last edited by Billla; 12-27-2006 at 01:16 PM.
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 01:16 PM   #3
bobthecop

1969 c10 parts truck
1969 C-10 ( my sons)
1992 Silverado 4X4 (now the boys truck)(now mine again)
2002 Tarus (my wife loves that car)
bobthecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:33 PM   #4
LawMan02

That is excellent information. Thank you. I really don't know what a good budget is for rebuilding a motor. The engine doesn't have to be high hp, or anything more than stock. I would like to go back with a good brand of parts so hopefully I will not be going back into it anytime soon. I've had a little experience helping other people work on engines but have never attempted rebuilding a motor myself. Never had a reason to until now as I have always bought new vehicle and traded them in before any trouble occurred.

But now that I own two older trucks and I am HOOKED, I guess it's time to roll up the sleeves and learn. Thanks again for the info.

1973 Jeep CJ 5, 304, 33's with side pipes

2008 GMC 2500HD, CC, SWB, D/A, SLT
LawMan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 04:15 PM   #5
jimmydean

Also, there are a lot of shops that offer "kits" that you can buy that come with services such as a block prep and head shave. If you have someone rebuild your heads, then that's cool too.

For me, the block prep would be worth it because then you know you are starting with a known base and the kit they sell you will fit the block correctly. I'm no expert at all, but if given a good base, then I can do great work.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:17 PM   #6
Billla
Account Suspended

You'll have NO problems at all with a little care and planning.

As for budget, without a bit more information it's tough to say, but figure for a very basic rebuild about $1500 back in the truck. With a bit more information, we can give you a bit better budget
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:25 PM   #7
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I think Billla has hit the most pertinent points.I would suggest you get and read the books he suggested and use that info to help define your expectations.I see the ones listed by Vizard at Barnes and Noble but if you don't have a B&N they can be found at www.motorbooksinternational.com
The assembly manual may be a bit tougher but MBI should have the Haynes and Chiltons also.You are probably looking at about $20.00 each but the info will be in your library from now on.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote