The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2006, 11:58 PM   #1
MNorby

My 71 updates

Well I got the 454 in and running, the th400 and 203/205 doubler. Ended up with a 1.5" body lift and some cutting. Got the soft top on. Now more piddly things. Need to swap rear ends out and move it backward a few inches and such too
Attached Images

MNorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 12:19 AM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

Re: My 71 updates

I bet it's a blast to drive!

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 08:13 AM   #3
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

I kinda like the Aluminum LWB steps in the bed area of the body
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 08:50 AM   #4
jaros44sr

Man, that came a long way in a short amount of time! Nice work.

From a 150.00 pos/ with a blown rear, in a few short months. Now the fun begins, drive it like you stole it. As a matter of fact for that price I think you did. Deal of the century imo.

How about more info on the doubler, I've collected all the pcs. 203/205, how much and where did you get the adapter plate from?? What part of the 203 did you use, Ive only heard that you use the range box, is this correct.

Did I forget to mention, SWEET RIDE, and nice work!!!!

Merry Christmas J.

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 10:34 AM   #5
MNorby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44 View Post
Man, that came a long way in a short amount of time! Nice work.

From a 150.00 pos/ with a blown rear, in a few short months. Now the fun begins, drive it like you stole it. As a matter of fact for that price I think you did. Deal of the century imo.

How about more info on the doubler, I've collected all the pcs. 203/205, how much and where did you get the adapter plate from?? What part of the 203 did you use, Ive only heard that you use the range box, is this correct.

Did I forget to mention, SWEET RIDE, and nice work!!!!

Merry Christmas J.
Thanks ya'll for the comments. Regarding the doubler I got my adapter from Wagner Machine before they split but you can still get it from ths same guy here: http://sumnermachine.com/ otherwise alot of friends are running the ORD ( http://www.offroaddesign.com/ ) doubler adapter and also the NWF ( http://northwestfab.com/ ) adapter. Your need the range box off the 203 so if you find one that the tailhousing ir broke or whatever it doesn't matter then a full 205. Depending on the tranny you are going behind will determin what input gear you will need in the 203 box. A th400 will require a 32 spline, th350 uses 27 spline and a 465 4 speed uses 10 spline or is a late model 4 speed, 32 spline. Now on your 205 you need the 32 spline input gear style from a th400 model 205 if you want the strongest combo possible. Now I used a 10 spline 205 but had a mach8ine shop bore out the bearing hole for the input gear and put a 32 spline inputer gear and bearing in to convert it. I built my own triple stick shifters but you can buy them from ORD and such too. Hope all that makes sense.

Edit, just found this for ya too: http://northwestfab.com/203-205adaptorinstall.html

Last edited by MNorby; 12-24-2006 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:36 AM   #6
MNorby

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8 View Post
I kinda like the Aluminum LWB steps in the bed area of the body
They were on it when I got the rig and I honsestly had no clue what they were from. They have been cut inside some to clear the rocker boxes. I may get bored and see if they polish up.... match the bling of the new steering wheel
Old 12-24-2006, 11:33 AM   #7
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNorby View Post
Thanks ya'll for the comments. Regarding the doubler I got my adapter from Wagner Machine before they split but you can still get it from ths same guy here: http://sumnermachine.com/ otherwise alot of friends are running the ORD ( http://www.offroaddesign.com/ ) doubler adapter and also the NWF ( http://northwestfab.com/ ) adapter. Your need the range box off the 203 so if you find one that the tailhousing ir broke or whatever it doesn't matter then a full 205. Depending on the tranny you are going behind will determin what input gear you will need in the 203 box. A th400 will require a 32 spline, th350 uses 27 spline and a 465 4 speed uses 10 spline or is a late model 4 speed, 32 spline. Now on your 205 you need the 32 spline input gear style from a th400 model 205 if you want the strongest combo possible. Now I used a 10 spline 205 but had a mach8ine shop bore out the bearing hole for the input gear and put a 32 spline inputer gear and bearing in to convert it. I built my own triple stick shifters but you can buy them from ORD and such too. Hope all that makes sense.

Edit, just found this for ya too: http://northwestfab.com/203-205adaptorinstall.html
Makes perfect sense, thanks
Now that Lomax came out with the 5:1 NP205 transfer case, I'm not sure if I want to go to all the hassles of a doubler!

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 12-24-2006 at 11:36 AM.
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 12:09 PM   #8
MNorby

Also check out the Stak (http://www.stak4x4.com/) and blackbox from NWF link above. The doubler is ultimately cheaper IMO if you can source the parts cheap enough. I have about $700 totat into mine: $500 adapter (sale price then), $35 in my 32 spline 203, 205 free but like $60 ebay 32 spline input gear and $100 into machine work, and like $10 into knobs for my sifters I built (Used scrap metal from work to build it), and prob $20-30 into misc seals I replaces when I was putting it together.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:58 AM   #9
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44 View Post
Makes perfect sense, thanks
Now that Lomax came out with the 5:1 NP205 transfer case, I'm not sure if I want to go to all the hassles of a doubler!
I thought it was a 3:1 (typo huh )

MNorby, great work for sure.

Be a fun day to get our 40" tired blazers wheeling together, eh?
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:41 AM   #10
BUDDY
Global warming is a myth

Exclamation Re: My 71 updates

Holy Crap!! That looks great!! How much lift did you put on to fit the 40's? Is there another build-up thread that I'm missing?

You need to give us all some more dimensions/pictures on that custom crossmember! Did you have to "massage" the floor pan any to get the doubler in there? I love the way it looks! Super low profile, you could finish it off with some 1/4" plate to smooth it out & it would kick even more butt! Oh, how easily you could sell that crossmember! Awesome!

Just a little excited!
Buddy
2003 Discovery SE7 - Wife's
BUDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:14 AM   #11
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUDDY View Post
Holy Crap!! That looks great!! How much lift did you put on to fit the 40's? Is there another build-up thread that I'm missing?

You need to give us all some more dimensions/pictures on that custom crossmember! Did you have to "massage" the floor pan any to get the doubler in there? I love the way it looks! Super low profile, you could finish it off with some 1/4" plate to smooth it out & it would kick even more butt! Oh, how easily you could sell that crossmember! Awesome!

Just a little excited!
Buddy
BUDDY, you should check out CK5 sometime.
Leans more towards off road kinda stuff.
http://coloradok5.com/
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:38 AM   #12
BUDDY
Global warming is a myth

Cool Re: My 71 updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer View Post
BUDDY, you should check out CK5 sometime.
Leans more towards off road kinda stuff.
http://coloradok5.com/
I know about that site, but I'm not a registered member there either so I can't see anybody's pictures over there. Kinda pisses me off sometimes, but I know I should just pony up the money.

Later,
Buddy
Old 12-28-2006, 11:39 AM   #13
ecameron87

Quote:
Also check out the Stak (http://www.stak4x4.com/) and blackbox from NWF link above. The doubler is ultimately cheaper IMO if you can source the parts cheap enough. I have about $700 totat into mine: $500 adapter (sale price then), $35 in my 32 spline 203, 205 free but like $60 ebay 32 spline input gear and $100 into machine work, and like $10 into knobs for my sifters I built (Used scrap metal from work to build it), and prob $20-30 into misc seals I replaces when I was putting it together.
What about the added price to the two driveshafts that need to change when going with the doubler?
ecameron87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:13 PM   #14
MNorby

Maybe I should make an overall build thread with everything in it

VT: Yeah I hope to be wheeling it this summer maybe can make blazer bash or something. A couple first gens on 40s would rock.

Buddy: Driveshafts are a given anytime drivetrain shanges are made and usually don't worry about. My front will consist of a cummins 1350 CV and a 8" long slip and 1350 fron a 1-ton chevy 2 peice rear shaft. The rear shaft will be a HAD unit. I won a gift certificate for a high angle shaft a year ago. The crossmember I kinda designed for a skid thats why I made sure nothing hangs lower than that sq tubing. As for lift it is stock height 52 " springs off the rear of an old chevy truck on the front with a custom crossmember and the rear is a home made shakle flip with 56" long rear springs. Plus a 1.5" body lift. I am guising roughly 6-7" lift

I'll make an overall build thread here soon and show all my crossmembers I have built and mods.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:08 PM   #15
BUDDY
Global warming is a myth

Wink Re: My 71 updates

Quote:
Maybe I should make an overall build thread with everything in it

VT: Yeah I hope to be wheeling it this summer maybe can make blazer bash or something. A couple first gens on 40s would rock.

Buddy: Driveshafts are a given anytime drivetrain shanges are made and usually don't worry about. My front will consist of a cummins 1350 CV and a 8" long slip and 1350 fron a 1-ton chevy 2 peice rear shaft. The rear shaft will be a HAD unit. I won a gift certificate for a high angle shaft a year ago. The crossmember I kinda designed for a skid thats why I made sure nothing hangs lower than that sq tubing. As for lift it is stock height 52 " springs off the rear of an old chevy truck on the front with a custom crossmember and the rear is a home made shakle flip with 56" long rear springs. Plus a 1.5" body lift. I am guising roughly 6-7" lift

I'll make an overall build thread here soon and show all my crossmembers I have built and mods.
I knew you weren't talking about the driveshafts in all of that doubler discussion, it made sense to me.

I'm thinking of a lot of the same mods on mine, but I'm going to use 63" rears instead. LOTSA FLEX that way.

Anyways, the truck looks awesome! give me some inspiration to get busy on mine!

Later,
Buddy
Old 12-28-2006, 01:14 PM   #16
MNorby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUDDY View Post
I knew you weren't talking about the driveshafts in all of that doubler discussion, it made sense to me.

I'm thinking of a lot of the same mods on mine, but I'm going to use 63" rears instead. LOTSA FLEX that way.

Anyways, the truck looks awesome! give me some inspiration to get busy on mine!

Later,
Buddy
63s should rock for sure. I won a 4-link kit from Blue Torch Fab I may put in the rear of the blazer too.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:39 PM   #17
BUDDY
Global warming is a myth

Exclamation Re: My 71 updates

Quote:
63s should rock for sure. I won a 4-link kit from Blue Torch Fab I may put in the rear of the blazer too.
OK, so you not only won a H-A driveshaft, but ALSO a BT 4-link kit?!!?

Holy crap, I don't like gambling but you should definitely buy a lottery ticket!

I never win anything.

Later,
Buddy