The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2002, 02:52 PM   #1
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

305 poofing under load

ok the 81 305 engine has a problem and i think its valve train related, it idles and revs fine but when you put truck in gear and give it gas to get going it has big popping problem out the exhaust and also out the carb,
when it pops out the carb it makes huge cloud of blue smoke and almost but doesnt kill the engine, it will catch up again till it ka-pops out carb again,
and exhaust popping is a single pop and is not irregular, it happens every cycle- a little less than a second apart.

timing adjustment of any kind doesnt change this symptom at all and the wires and everything look fine,
carb is older model and non ESC, and so is distributor, its older one with vacuum advance.

any idea what could be wrong with this 305 other than needing to be yanked and scrapped ? probably camshaft lobe or valve guide problem i bet.,.
Fast68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 03:32 PM   #2
87gmc
I Got My Engine!!!!!

Hmm i think you should just go buy a new engine that would fix all your problems
1987 GMC HIGH SIERRA LWB 1500

32X11.50
383 TBI/Vortec Heads/Intake
MSD Ignition
Dual Exhaust
Custom Pinstriping
Sweet interior & stereo
http://www.cgalvin29.freehomepage.com
87gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 04:19 PM   #3
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

yeah i think so also, im gonna try one thing though, im gonna tear down the face of the engine down to timing set and put on a new set and swap off the dizzy for a 75-79 one and see how it does then, if no improvement then its time to part the truck out, would be wasting my time doing anything else but that to it. i dont have any better V-8 engines than that right now that would go in without headache and the truck has more rust out problems then originally seen, and fuel tank problems am running off a fuelk can on floorboard,.

thanks
Fast68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote