The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2006, 02:05 PM   #1
pton

Diving In w/ 58 GMC Resto What to do???

I haven't read all there is to read on the board but I'm looking for suggestions on what to do with a 58 GMC Fleetside. It has a 327 under the hood and there are a few dents and rust spots on the body, particularly around the headlight bezels and lower door frames. I haven't been over the frame, but I think she's in pretty good shape.

I think I'm leaning towards some type of streetable hot rod. Nothing too insane, but something that can be driven daily and still have some get up and go whenever it's desirable.

I've been looking at stances of other trucks, and I'm trying to determine what would be best. Is it all subjective or are there performance benefits with each?

Then there's the what to do with suspension question. I hear about S10's Camaro's, Mustangs, etc. What are the pro's/cons to those???

I have many more questions but like I said thought I'd dive in. I'll get pics loaded up once I have them.

Thanks and I appreciate any feedback. FYI, I'm in Austin, TX if anyone else is here. I see a lot of classics on the roads and in driveways down here!

Perry
pton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:46 PM   #2
Jebb1978

Re: Diving In w/ 58 GMC Resto What to do???

Welcome aboard Perry!

The Blue Chip GMC's are getting to be a common sight in here and we are happy to have more.

As far as suspension goes, the S10 frame swap is much more common in pre 55.2 trucks as the frame is a bit more narrow than our stock frames. The most common in our year trucks are the Mustang ll type, Valarie front ends or the Camaro Subframes. My truck sports the everpopular Camaro graft. It is great for the price and my truck handled very well for a do it yourself low $ upgrade. My Dad actually did the work many years back and I am just going back through the truck, If I had the choice to make now I may go the same way, I would look close at IFS kits that are based on the Mustang II aswell before making a decsion as they require a little less cutting.

Either way, can't wait to see those pics and Welcome again.

Last edited by Jebb1978; 12-21-2006 at 04:58 PM.
Jebb1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:42 PM   #3
pgf545

Perry, Welcome to the boards from hear Houston. The best thing to do to your truck is whatever you want....lol. Actually have fun with your project and ask lots of questions, look at what others have done, go to shows etc, then you can form an opinion on what you like and don't like. The best part of these things is they are all different.

Bernie
Old 12-23-2006, 06:09 PM   #4
pton

Thanks Jebb, I appreciate the input. I suppose it really comes down to time and money which I don't really seem to have a lot of either one these days. I have heard of the Mustang II conversion. Not that I'm in it for the money, but does adding Ford parts to a Chevy have stigma and affect the value of the truck? I guess the value is whatever someoe is willing to pay. I don't plan on selling her, but you never know.

As far as handling goes, is the Mustang conversion preffered over the Camaro?

Thanks again for your feedback.

p
Old 12-23-2006, 06:11 PM   #5
pton

Thanks Bernie! Glad to have somewhere to ask questions. I'm sure I'll be asking plenty during the project!

Happy Holidays.

p
Old 12-23-2006, 09:01 PM   #6
Sweet&LowPro55

to the site .This is really a Kool forum.Mustang versus Camaro,it all depends on who you ask.My '55 is a Camaro .I didn't do the work ,but its pretty nice ,if I say so myself .....
~ '92 Camaro RS 25TH.Limited Edition Aniv.Convert.
~ '98 Dodge Ram Van 5.7 Litre
~ '98 E-Z-GO Golf Car ..Tony Stewart Edition
!! '69 Camaro SS..SOLD .. Still crying !!
Sweet&LowPro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 12:27 PM   #7
CAL 58 GMC

Welcome to the board! As for Camaro vs. Mustang II IFS, there are good and bad with both. The Mustang II is by far more costly, but it has rack & pinion steering with a lot of after markets options. The Camaro sub-frames are less costly and there are tons of them at your local wrecking yard. Also the parts from them are readily available at your local parts store. I have a Camaro sub-frame that I upgraded to all Z-28 parts and air rides shockwave bags. You really can’t go wrong with ether compared to the stock straight axle and drum brakes.
CAL 58 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:00 PM   #8
Jebb1978

Cool Re: Diving In w/ 58 GMC Resto What to do???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL 58 GMC View Post
Welcome to the board! As for Camaro vs. Mustang II IFS, there are good and bad with both. The Mustang II is by far more costly, but it has rack & pinion steering with a lot of after markets options. The Camaro sub-frames are less costly and there are tons of them at your local wrecking yard. Also the parts from them are readily available at your local parts store. I have a Camaro sub-frame that I upgraded to all Z-28 parts and air rides shockwave bags. You really can’t go wrong with ether compared to the stock straight axle and drum brakes.
True Dat!
Old 12-28-2006, 10:01 PM   #9
caino59

i'll put another vote in for the nova/camaro route.

for cost-effectiveness, it just cant be beat.

i originally got a beat up 75 nova for 75 bucks.

i used the sub-frame, the rear-end, and the trans (i also used the motor for mock-up)

i rebuilt the front-end with all new z-28 parts (helps to have a dad in the parts biz)

the only thing that's non-chevy is the sway bar - it's from an 87 GNX - a bit thicker than the z-28 offering.

ended up being a lot cheaper than a mustang II swap.

bit more work maybe - but isnt that what we're doing this for?
Old 12-29-2006, 06:07 PM   #10
58 gmc
ToTM Winner

Hello, i also have a 84 camaro front end on my 58 gmc, it tracks and handles great, good luck on your project
58 gmc is offline   Reply With Quote