The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2007, 10:21 PM   #1
67chevemall

Question Fuel PSI Gauge ?

Hello

I have a edelbrock 1406 carb with a holley regulator and Mr gasket gauge.

I hear one should run the PSI at 4-6 on these carbs.

Is this at WOT? because if I set it at idle then when I throttle it the psi drops to almost nothing on the gauge.

I find it runs better up around 10psi

I think I'm missing something here

Any Ideas?

67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
poorboy

Re: Fuel PSI Gauge ?

The reg should make the pressure constant through all rpms. I've always ran 7-9 on mine. If 10 is where it runs the best and it's not flooding then I would leave it there. What kind of pump are you running?
poorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:41 AM   #3
67chevemall

stock mech. pump

I was thinking maybe the motor pings because it isn't getting enough fuel
Old 01-02-2007, 11:09 PM   #4
poorboy

The motor could be pinging because of bad fuel or your timing could be off. With it set oa 10psi will it hold that trough all rpm's? If not I would look into replacing the pump.
poorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:02 AM   #5
corn

A stock mechanical pump is @ 3lbs isnt it? What is there to regulate?
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:45 AM   #6
70c10
67-72 Addict!

I think stock is in the 6-7 psi range but maybe I'm wrong.

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:26 PM   #7
67chevemall

Maybe my gauge or reg is f ed then. Stock pump and I have to turn the reg almost all the way in to get it down to 4-6psi even taking off the nut that locks the setting in.

I'm going to try it with out the reg.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:22 PM   #8
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

The 1406 needs to be kept below the 9 psi that a lot of street electric fuel pumps put out and that is where a regulator would be needed. The mechanical pump will operate and create the 6-7 psi that the carb needs and works just fine. The use of a fuel regulator here is a definite waste. It is just another item in the fuel line that is restricting flow to the carb. If you want to do anything, then setup a return line to your tank and get a fuel pump that has that port already designed into it. It will be a small orficed fitting that has a 1/4" line to allow flow back to the tank. this was used on later model trucks and was not an item used in this era of trucks.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:30 PM   #9
bryanw1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
The 1406 needs to be kept below the 9 psi that a lot of street electric fuel pumps put out and that is where a regulator would be needed. The mechanical pump will operate and create the 6-7 psi that the carb needs and works just fine. The use of a fuel regulator here is a definite waste. It is just another item in the fuel line that is restricting flow to the carb. If you want to do anything, then setup a return line to your tank and get a fuel pump that has that port already designed into it. It will be a small orficed fitting that has a 1/4" line to allow flow back to the tank. this was used on later model trucks and was not an item used in this era of trucks.
piecesparts,

I am currently running a carter performance mechanical pump that is high volume/low pressure so I am currently not running a regulator. The pump does not have a return and the truck obviously didn't come with lines for it.
What am I gaining by going to a pump with a return setup?
bryanw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:38 PM   #10
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanw1968 View Post
piecesparts,

I am currently running a carter performance mechanical pump that is high volume/low pressure so I am currently not running a regulator. The pump does not have a return and the truck obviously didn't come with lines for it.
What am I gaining by going to a pump with a return setup?
I commented that IF and ONLY IF, one was to do something about the fuel pump, then running a return line would give them a relief pathway.

Last year I put an Edelbrock "Street" performance fuel pump on my truck along with a Thunder AVS carb. This motor is a 383 stroker motor and it had problems when I ran it on city streets for a period. The motor would "BOG" when I accelerated to get onto a highway or when I jumped on it at a light. However out on the highway and any other time it would not bog at all. I had changed the fuel line and the fuel pump when I installed the 383 motor rebuild and the bog started at that time. Up to that time the truck, with 200,000 miles, never had this issue and I had been running a factory designed fuel pump that had the return line. My truck is an 84 SWB, so it came with the return fuel line in the truck's design. The bogging issue would not correct itself, so I started at the first item that I had changed during the rebuild, which was the pump. I took the bottom off of the pump and installed the Edelbrock bottom feed plate conversion and then installed an orficed fitting and the return line was then reused. This allowed a very small amount of fuel to return to the tank and keep the pump from having any heated fuel issues. Amazing the "BOGGING" went away. I do associate this with the fuel in the pump getting to warm and vapor-locking the pump until I got out on an open road and flushed it out by running the truck harder. That is why, I suggested the return line.

Last edited by piecesparts; 01-03-2007 at 06:41 PM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote