The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2007, 11:58 PM   #1
PushnFords

New owner in Kansas - several ?'s

I'm buying several vehicles from my uncle to fix and resell...one is a '63 GMC that I want to keep. It is a long bed with a V6.

How do I tell which V6 it has? Napa said there were two choices when I went in to get a fuel pump.

Right now it has 16.5", 8 lug wheels. Are there any aftermarket wheels I can get for this thing to get a standard 15" or 16" size tire?

I'm also buying a clapped out '78 Chevy van. Can I use the spindles and rear axle on the truck so I can swap to those tires and wheels? If it'll fit, do I need the control arms too?

Thanks,

Derek
Attached Images

PushnFords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:25 AM   #2
slepysal

Re: New owner in Kansas - several ?'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushnFords View Post
I'm buying several vehicles from my uncle to fix and resell...one is a '63 GMC that I want to keep. It is a long bed with a V6.

Right now it has 16.5", 8 lug wheels. Are there any aftermarket wheels I can get for this thing to get a standard 15" or 16" size tire?

Thanks,

Derek
Good project ! On the wheels any standard 8 lug( 8x6.5 )will work .
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:26 AM   #3
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

For everything you wanted to know about GMC trucks.
http://www.6066gmcguy.org/

For 16" wheels, start checking the junkyards. There are a few available, but the GM's take some hunting. Dodge and Ford 8 bolt wheels are identical except they have a larger hub hole. That means theywill go on, the 16" hubcaps interchange, but the hub won't carry the load on the rear axle, which can result in broken studs if you haul anything.

The vans usually have a wider suspension. A tape measure will tell. If it's the right width, it might work. I know that you can swap the entire front cross-member from any pickup thru 1987. The easiest way to swap rears is to weld your spring perches on a different axle, but you're still stuck with the heavy springs. Pulling the control arms, cross member and rear out of the van is one way to do it. Finding a 73-87 1/2 ton pickup would be easier, it will have rear leaf springs.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:39 AM   #4
rwgregory

As to seeing what engine you have, it may tell on the identification plate on the driver's side kick panel just left of the clutch pedal. Or you can look at the engine itself. Stand in front of the truck, open the hood and look at the numbers in front of the left,(pass. side) head. Along with serial numbers it should read 305 C, D, or E. That is the series of engine you have.

67 GMC 2500 ,2w/d wide box
305 V-6, 4-speed
rwgregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:13 PM   #5
PushnFords

Used Parts Sources?

I'm going to need some misc. parts for this truck to get it on the road. Don't want to buy new...or even used in really good shape. Didn't see much action in the classifieds here either. Does someone have a truck they are parting out? Once I get it running I'll do an inventory...need to put the door panels back on too. But I'm pretty sure I'll keed a door and/or window handle and a taillight (lense and bezel - completely gone). Any condition is fine with me as long as it will function.

Derek
PushnFords is offline   Reply With Quote