The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2007, 08:38 AM   #1
Tink

Garage Desperation No Longer...

Well, we finally got the garage we desperately needed... not a nice wood one, but a metal building:

It is 24' x 26', 9' sides and 8' doors. Still need to do the concrete, doors and electrical, but it is good to see it there.

We ended up going with the metal building because of time... my county passed a Junk Vehicle Law that states you can not have junk vehicles in view of a public right-of-way... they have to be completely obstructed from view or in a garage. They define junk vehicle as any vehicle that is not registered, insured and inspected. The law went into effect Jan 1st. If I had not been in compliance, I could be fined and eventually, the vehicles taken away and I would be arrested for a class 1 misdemeanor. Right now the garage pretty much hides them from view and if my lovely neighbors call, I can say the vehicles will go in the garage as soon as the concrete is in and ready.

88 Sierra

02 2500 Suburban
And too many S10s to list!
Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:15 AM   #2
72gord
Never enough time!!

Re: Garage Desperation No Longer...

Junk vehicle ordinance huh...free country? I understand to a point, but parts vehicles and ones waiting to be restored are also unlicensed, unregistered, and uninsured...... btw, nice garage i'm sure you'll like it
72gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:34 AM   #3
65-72 chevytoys

^ I agree about the restrictive laws, but look on the bright side now you have a nice garage to work and store the cool old junk in when the weather is bad.
65-72 chevytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
Aarons72s

Nice garage tink. I have to deal with the same bs where I live.
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
JoetheMobster
Listening since '86

Nice garage man! It seems like a BS law but I can actually see why they've put it into place. It seems like a fair law AS LONG AS it isn't abused by arsehole neighbors or John Q Law with his big shiny badge. Hell, I've seen some houses around this town that you just have to shake your head at. You can tell the difference between the guys and gals that have a "work in progress" project in thier yard, and someone with a POS just rusting away half on jackstands that's will probably never see a wrench. Unfortunetly I see more and more of the later.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:41 AM   #6
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

My dad had a lot of parts cars hidden back in the woods, and I mean really hidden from view. We had a bunch of punk ass neighbors from another state (I won't tell y'all that they were from Ohio) that had a cabin about a 1/2 mile from our house. They complained to the county that my dad's cars ruined their "nature walks" on OUR property!!!! County sent my dad a letter to get rid of vehicles. Sadly we sent about 10 67-72 chevy/gmc trucks to the crusher. Most were rusted beyond repair, but I'm sure some good parts were lost.

Congrats on the garage. I wish I had one
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 01-05-2007 at 11:42 AM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
Southedisto
River life......

Nice garage, they recently passed that same law around here. Granted, some people had junk in their yards, but others, well now its harder to find classics without snooping around.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:46 PM   #8
Tink

Thanks guys. Now maybe I can finally get some serious work done on those projects.

I can understand a junk vehicle law in towns, but this is a county-wide law and I live in the country! They won't even let you have them under car covers. Now there are some people with a bunch of POS vehicles just rusting away and I admit, it does look bad... but some of these people could get rid of the junk vehicles and you would never notice they were gone with all the other junk in their yard... should of passed a general junk law IMO.

88 Sierra

02 2500 Suburban
And too many S10s to list!
Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #9
JoetheMobster
Listening since '86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
Thanks guys. Now maybe I can finally get some serious work done on those projects.

I can understand a junk vehicle law in towns, but this is a county-wide law and I live in the country! They won't even let you have them under car covers. Now there are some people with a bunch of POS vehicles just rusting away and I admit, it does look bad... but some of these people could get rid of the junk vehicles and you would never notice they were gone with all the other junk in their yard... should of passed a general junk law IMO.
WOW! I figure if the person thinks that the car's worth keeping. they'd put a cover on it(and not just a tarp)...but that's out huh? Damn. That would at least weed out some of the bums that couldn't bother with the vehicle other than to prevent others from having it (read: I'm gonna fix 'er up one day - those type)
That sucks