The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2007, 02:20 AM   #1
ClassicRedneck05

Distrbutor?

Can anyone explain to me the purpose of the Vaccume Advance on a distb? and exactly what it does for the engine?
ClassicRedneck05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:43 AM   #2
motopatzo

Re: Distrbutor?

At part throttle, your engine is more efficient when the timing is slightly advanced. Your centrifugal weights are just starting to open and adding vacuum advance, makes the engine burn the fuel better thus increasing mpg's.
motopatzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:48 AM   #3
bryanw1968

It is also a way to not have a bunch of innitial timing in the motor at idle. Like mentioned above, as soon as you start giving it gas the vacuum drops because the motor is under a load. Once that happens the vacuum advance module starts to give your distributor more timing to get all that weight moving. MOST vacuum advance distributors have an adjustable module to make it give more or less timing. They usually take an allen wrench to adjust it. Check out the pick below.
Attached Images

bryanw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:23 PM   #4
68speedalert
Semi-Senior Member

In addition to what they already said, the vacuum and centrifugal advance are to ADVANCE the timing when RPM's raise.

To get the best performance and fuel economy, you need to get the most timing advance WITHOUT causing spark knock (pinging).

With a SBC engine, total advance (base+centrifugal+vacuum) it's about 40 degrees BTDC (before top dead center) and 2500-3000 rpm.

Not sure about the RPM spec.

Too much base advance will make it impossible for the starter to start the engine.
'95 GMC K1500 Extended cab
68speedalert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:42 PM   #5
Billla
Account Suspended

I'll give yet another spin - all good perspectives. The best fuel economy and power is gained with correct advance at a given RPM and load. Mechanical advance addresses the need for advance based on RPM, vacuum advance is responsible for advance based on load. Vacuum advance provides advance in addition to mechanical advance under part-throttle conditions; at cruise an SBC will accept up to 52 (not 40) degrees total advance (!).

Setting vacuum advance for a particular application is both a science and a bit of an art Most street-driven applications work well with starting the advance at about 8" Hg and providing about 16 degrees of (crankshaft)advance assuming mechanical advance is limited to 36 degrees and is all-in by 3000 RPM. Initial advance should end up between 12-14 degrees or the mechanical advance should be bushed or otherwise restricted to get within that range.

Last edited by Billla; 01-05-2007 at 02:45 PM.
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #6
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanw1968 View Post
It is also a way to not have a bunch of innitial timing in the motor at idle.
This is taken care of to a certain extent by having the vacuum advance connected to ported vacuum vs. manifold vacuum on a street engine.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:19 PM   #7
68speedalert
Semi-Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billla View Post
This is taken care of to a certain extent by having the vacuum advance connected to ported vacuum vs. manifold vacuum on a street engine.
Makes no difference for starting, which is why high base timing is an issue.

You definately have aced me on your specs. I was quoting from what I THOUGHT I remembered, don't get to play with mechanical type advances much anymore.

Good post. You get rep points for that one!!!!

Last edited by 68speedalert; 01-05-2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:26 PM   #8
bryanw1968

I run a full mechanical advance on my SBC. I sometimes wish I had both mechanical and vacuum again.

The port that the vacuum advance hose is supposed to be hooked up to is the port that does not see vacuum until after part throttle is achieved. If you have it hooked up wrong you'll be adding timing in through the distributor at idle.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:32 PM   #9
68speedalert
Semi-Senior Member

What's wrong with that? Many engines (all makes and models) had that from the factory?
Old 01-05-2007, 03:36 PM   #10
bryanw1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68speedalert View Post
What's wrong with that? Many engines (all makes and models) had that from the factory?
I had an HEI with the mech/vac setup and like it. But, I found a used MSD Pro Billet dist, blaster coil and 6AL box for $200.00 and I couldn't pass it up. The race version of the MSD distributor is mechanical advance only. It's not that I don't like vacuum, it's just the way this worked out. Oh, and I get worse gas mileage
Old 01-05-2007, 03:41 PM   #11
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
I run a full mechanical advance on my SBC. I sometimes wish I had both mechanical and vacuum again.

The port that the vacuum advance hose is supposed to be hooked up to is the port that does not see vacuum until after part throttle is achieved. If you have it hooked up wrong you'll be adding timing in through the distributor at idle.
I wouldn't drive a street engine without a vacuum advance; done it and have the gas bills and fouled plugs to prove it

Hooking the vacuum advance to the manifold vacuum isn't a problem; it just occasionally leads to an uneven idle depending on the cam. Some high-perfomance engines from the factory had manifold vacuum to provide advance at idle to smooth it out.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:44 PM   #12
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
I had an HEI with the mech/vac setup and like it. But, I found a used MSD Pro Billet dist, blaster coil and 6AL box for $200.00 and I couldn't pass it up. The race version of the MSD distributor is mechanical advance only. It's not that I don't like vacuum, it's just the way this worked out. Oh, and I get worse gas mileage
Yeppers; sometimes the great deals just don't work out the way we expect. I thought MSD had some sort of external box that you could connect to the 6 series to retard spark based on vacuum - kind of the opposite of boost I haven't looked, but I remember something there...
Old 01-05-2007, 04:04 PM   #13
bryanw1968

Quote:
Yeppers; sometimes the great deals just don't work out the way we expect. I thought MSD had some sort of external box that you could connect to the 6 series to retard spark based on vacuum - kind of the opposite of boost I haven't looked, but I remember something there...
I'm not sure if it has anything to do with vacuum but I think this is what you're talking about. I am thinking about getting one.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2007, 04:05 PM   #14
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
I'm not sure if it has anything to do with vacuum but I think this is what you're talking about. I am thinking about getting one.
Might be time to just sell your bling distributor instead
Old 01-05-2007, 04:49 PM   #15
bryanw1968

Quote:
Might be time to just sell your bling distributor instead
No way man! That bling is serious bidniss. And, I like having the coil and the module outside the distributor. The HEI setup has too many eggs in one basket