The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2007, 12:08 PM   #1
nogaroa4

Help with setting up suspension budget?

Hi I'm trying to set up a budget to see if buying a 1947-1959 chevy 1/2 ton truck is going to fit into my current finacial situation. I'm primarily looking right now at a 1955 chevy 1/2 ton. My idea for the suspension was a mustang 2 front suspension and a 4 link in the rear. I don't need it chromed the standard steel will work just fine, The only other request I have is that it would be set up for airbags. Any good places to look. I was browsing zigs, and fatboys. I didnt know if you there was any good places to look that sell everything as a kit, or where i could source a used or already started project. Thanks
nogaroa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
RabidScott

Talking Re: Help with setting up suspension budget?

The term "budget" rarely applies to project vehicles. Double any estimates for time and money, and that's close to what is usually spent.

If you're trying to keep it cheap, I'd look at:

A. Leave it stock for now, buy parts as you can afford them

B. If you can do all the work yourself, find a running, driving S-10, and throw Advanced Design (47-54) cab, bed, and sheetmetal on it. Channel the cab/etc while changing over the parts, and you can keep the stock suspension, won't need airbags, etc. It will have disc brake, independant front suspension you can get parts for at the local parts store, and an overdrive tranny. Later, you could swap in a V8. I bet you could get yourself into a running S-10 framed AD truck for under $2000. I was leaning this direction before I found my '57. There are plenty of resources on the web for this swap.

C. Save up and buying a better one that's already been modified.

Just my $0.02.
RabidScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:07 PM   #3
pgf545

Re: Help with setting up suspension budget?

I talked to a guy at a car show this past summer and he told me that he had bought a crossmember from Heidts or one of those MII guys and then he bought a complete Mustang 2 and took all the front end compoments off it. He said that he only had like 200 bucks in it. That might be another option also. The Camaro swap looks pretty economical if you have the ability to do a little fab work. Take a look on this board and look at the different setups. There is everything from stock to full blown stuff. The main thing is to have fun with your truck and make sure it is safe. I am doing my dad's truck so it is his budget, where as on my camaro I figure out what I want and then save money until I can afford it....(that is pobably why it is taking so long)...lol. There is no right or wrong way it is whatever you want.

Bernie
Old 01-04-2007, 10:46 PM   #4
nogaroa4

thanks for the help.

I looked at the s10 swap, and the only thing i have a problem with is, paying 1100 for the mounting brackets. I would probally make them my self it need be. I did look at the camaro front swap, which wouldnt be a problem, since I like to do the fab work. I think i might go that way, and throw some airbags under it. again thanks for the help
Old 01-04-2007, 11:15 PM   #5
71'tahoe

Ive been working with my laser cutter the last couple of days and i have a 4-link design that i will be completing soon(feb).We are also lworking on a mII front x-member that will fit these trucks.Both of my designs are for air bags.
71'tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:19 PM   #6
71'tahoe

The costs will be resonable and they have all the features that all the big boys have,at a fraction of the cost.i'm not in it ot make money just help people with the esame love for classics trucks i have.The 4-links have a couple of designs to mount air bags.One has the rear mounted bags(behind the axle) and one that will mount on top of the axle.They us urathane bushings.The uppers are adjustable and the lowers are fixed length.Pricing varies but ill try to get you a price if you would like
Old 01-05-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
nogaroa4

Yeah if you could get me a price that would be great, I would defently be interested
Old 01-06-2007, 12:49 AM   #8
71'tahoe

I'll be talking with my laser cutter on tuesday so I'll let you know on wednseday if thats ok?